Magazine Tube Dent Removal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Tube Dent Removal

Magazine Tube Dent Removal

Ok, obviously not XCR related, but I thought someone might have a suggestion. I just bought a nice Marlin 1895SS in 45-70 and discovered a small issue when I tried to load it.

Apparently someone over-tightened a screw or smacked the magazine tube against something at some point, because there's a small ding in the tube. Not much, but it binds the follower and prevents the last round from being loaded.

I've tapped the follower through a few times but I don't think that's going to do it as I can't tell any difference. Any suggestions on how to remove that?

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Buy a new tube?? Or, the tubes are thin....could you heat it with a propane torch and send a wooden/brass dowel down the tube? Probably will screw up the finish though.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yeah, it's such a small ding, it rubs me the wrong way to not at least attempt to fix it first.

The ding is under the hand guard, so any alteration to the finish might not be visible. I guess I could see if I could find something just the right diameter to force through it.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

is the ding at one end or in the middle? you might be able to push a drill bit through it and take the dent out

This might be a crackpot idea........does the round catch, or just the follower?.. if it was just the follower, could you relieve a small "notch" in the follower that would allow it to clear the ding protrusion?...
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

It's about 6" in from the end. And it's a pretty big tube, I don't know about getting a perfectly sized drill bit that big.

It catches the follower, but there's no guarantee that the follower wouldn't just rotate where it would catch again if you cut it.

I was wondering if it would just rotate...Hmmm

I was thinking of something kinda like the wedge that holds the handlebars on a bike(inside the fork tube)......Or even something like a wedge anchor, that spreads and expands as you tighten it...

Kinda long shot though to find the perfect thing like that

E.T.A. how deep in the dent/ding?
    Last edited by Carpenter; 03-02-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

I would try Sean's idea with the heat and dowel.Name:  pound.gif
Views: 126
Size:  9.6 KB

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Right behind the eight ball, between the rock and the hard place.
    Steel round stock the diameter of the follower with one end clamped in a stout vise. Work the dent out a little at a time with a light hammer while rotating the tube back an forth on the round stock.
    No,,he's chaos, I'm mayhem,,,we're a duo act,,

always looking for M96 stuff

Ok, it actually went better than I had feared, it just took a lot of patience. And a few reassembly/disassembly cycles.

I had some thick wall Al tubing and I just slid that inside the tube as the anvil. Then I pseudo randomly pounded the outside with the plastic end of a small hammer. This got it moving pretty quick, but it was still sticking some.

I had to go over it a number of times to get it to where the follower would always slide through smoothly.

Now I just need to go shoot this baby! One of the advantages of the caliber at the moment is I was able to walk into Academy and walk out with 6 boxes of ammo. Not cheap (even normally), but it's there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors