Noveske Barrel on Armalite AR10 SASS (Pics inside)

Thread: Noveske Barrel on Armalite AR10 SASS (Pics inside)

Noveske Barrel on Armalite AR10 SASS (Pics inside)

Noveske Marked Barrel

Noveske Gas Port Hole Slightly smaller than the Armalite SASS port. I think this will be OK as I felt the SASS was slightly overgassed. Also the Noveske barrel is 21", and not 20" so the 1" extra dwell time should increase the gas pressure. Only way to find out is to function test. If it does not cycle then I will modify the gas port hole on the Noveske Barrel.

New Barrel on

Kickass Bolt tool from Brownells (ejector removal). This tool one tool works for both AR10, AR15, Savage and Remington700.

Closes on a .308 SAAMI 1.634" "No-Go" Gauge. Not a big deal as Noveske calls this a NATO Barrel and NATO specs allows 1.638" for No-Go. I have many guns that closes on a .308 SAAMI No-Go and rifle functions just fine, and is still fairly accurate. I myself think for Gas Guns you want the tolerances to be looser for reliably cycling, and also a slightly looser headspace allows gun to shoot when dirty better, and gas guns do foul up much faster than bolt guns.

Does not close on a SAAMI 1.638" "Field Gauge"

All ready for function test!

Noveske Barrel bolted on without any mods to the SASS Gas System! I also bought a Rainier Match Barrel for my 16" AR10, had to function test that today too. Both rifles worked great and both cycled every single round without issues.

Pic of the Rifles, both with new barrels

Shot mostly my 147gr Reloads. I did shoot for groups, 4 times (5 shots each) for each rifle with my 175gr SMK recipe for Semi-Autos.

With my 20" SASS and Noveske barrel and my 175gr SMK reloads, the worse 5-shot group was just over 1.2" (at 100 yards) and the best group was just over half-MOA. Here is the pic for the best group with the SASS/Noveske. I think with Load Development, I might be able to get more consistent groups and stay within .75 MOA.

My 16" AR10 with Rainier Arms Match Barrel surprised me. I can never get a good POA with a 3.5x ACOG and the Triangle. I was expecting 3" groups like I get with the Factory lite barrel, to my surprise, worse group was only 1.5" (at 100 yards, and best group was about .85". I think with a nice magnified optics and load development, this thing could be around consistent .5 to .75 MOA.

View of the 100 yard Target from the side of the NightForce.

The same 100 yard target from behind the eyes of 15x Nightforce.

DSM
    Sweet! I sold off my SASS last year because I wanted to have something shorter and lighter. I was almost convinced to get an LMT but then picked up one of the new "A" model Armalites instead. I've got a custom barrel that I need to send off because I want to do a dissipator style set up with it but I'm also toying around with free floating it too. I don't like most AR10 float tubes because they're too big but seeing your accuracy on that 16" gun makes me rethink it.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM View Post
    Sweet! I sold off my SASS last year because I wanted to have something shorter and lighter. I was almost convinced to get an LMT but then picked up one of the new "A" model Armalites instead. I've got a custom barrel that I need to send off because I want to do a dissipator style set up with it but I'm also toying around with free floating it too. I don't like most AR10 float tubes because they're too big but seeing your accuracy on that 16" gun makes me rethink it.
    That SASS is a pig, but then again so are all my other precision .308 guns, my Savage/McMillan and my R700/AICS. The weight though does help with accuracy, harder to jerk around a gun when it is well planted and heavier.

I like my 16", it's a great offhand shooter. It can be lighter with a light barrel and those AR10 MI railed handguards, I think the MI's are the best railed handguard options for the AR10 when it comes to looks, weight, and affordability. They are much lighter than my Samson (sampled them at SHOT).

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

DSM
    Yep, you've convinced me to return to a float tube for my AR10. Have been looking at the JP tubes since they're smaller and don't have all the rails.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Nice couple of rifles you have there!
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

Nice....

Sweet sticks! Thanks for the detailed pics.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM View Post
    Yep, you've convinced me to return to a float tube for my AR10. Have been looking at the JP tubes since they're smaller and don't have all the rails.
    Check out these, they are only 12oz and do not have all the rails either. Midwest Industries: AR10 SS Series Handguards

DSM
    That was one I was looking at too. Rainier has the JP tubes for about the same price (minus top rail though).

I wish there was more standardization between DPMS and Armalite. I'd love to get a URX. $$$

Sponsors