Is an XCR right for me? I think so. Dual use pistol/sbr multi cal multi use rifle
Like Tree1Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an XCR right for me? I think so. Dual use pistol/sbr multi cal multi use rifle

Is an XCR right for me? I think so. Dual use pistol/sbr multi cal multi use rifle

So. Until about a few days ago I had no idea the XCR even existed. And boy I'm glad I stumbled across it.

I was about to begin a journey into the AR pistol/SBR world. I say pistol/sbr because I plan to carry this rifle in my trunk as a pistol since I can't legally carry a rifle "concealed" with our CCW permits "handguns" only. Even though it wouldn't leave my trunk. And I also wanted a pistol because I wanted to shoot it waiting for my tax stamp to come in.

So I was going to be building a 10.5 upper and pistol lower and have a second lower to sbr. This way I can legally have a pistol and sbr in the same gun. Carry as pistol, shoot/compete on the rifle lower. This was all fine and dandy until I realized a 10.5 upper and a pistol lower was over 26" OAL thus not technically making a handgun but a FIREARM. Still legal to own as a "pistol" but not technically legal to carry. So I explored other options. Looked into the SCAR, problems were all solved but 1, the UPPER Is the registered part. So scratched that. The ACR isn't great of a rifle IMO. And then I stumbled on the XCR.

At first glance I thought it was a modded AK of some kind. I then realized how awesome and capable this rifle potentially had. It was literally everything I ever wanted in a dual use rifle like this.

Quick change barrels: I want to run 300blk as a defensive round and train in 5.56 or just have the ability tomget a 300blk barrel later and swap it. This is an issue with AR's because it's a pita and the piston uppers I wanted For an ar didn't have barrels in the size I needed.

Similar layout as an AR: takes ar mags, pistol grip, and similar layout. Nuff said.

Lower as the registered part: for this to be legal I need a registered pistol and registered sbr, can't do that with a scar.

Less than 26" OAL

Dead nuts reliable.

And a few more things. But it fit what I needed completely. I was a bit worried about the history of them but I read to call Kermit so I did and it eased any worries I had.

Through him I plan (in the near future) to buy a xcr mini 10.5 upper on a xcr pistol lower. Then buy a XCR rifle lower and have that registered as the SBR and once I get my stamp. Run it either way. Once 300blk barrels come out, buy one.

So I can either do this. Or buy close to the best AR I can build. And I'm still not positive what I should do. Trust something so unknown to me, or go tried and true. The xcr has me more interested than a ar because it fit everything I ever wanted.

The differences with the XCR-L and the AR platform you have already covered but I was in the same boat as you when I started looking for a Black rifle to fill an itch never scratched a few years ago and decided on the XCR. I have to say too that all the options available to you now were Not there when I bought my XCR and improvements have been made since then.

1- Piston system. Easy to clean. Potential to be very reliable.
    2- Caliber changes are easy and somewhat inexpensive.

But match grade barrels are Not available, only barrels from RA can be bought with any consistency. So if later you are looking for 1 MOA @ 100 yards you may be disappointed, unless you are lucky and get a rifle that shoots like that.

The things you will have to consider are that RA is a smaller company, so spare parts you may want to buy some, the reputation of RA's customer service on here and elsewhere (hopefully it is getting better) but if you go through Kermit it will be a lot easier on you if you have an issue.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I always wanted to see a XCR pistol with a mini upper. If I had the coin, I would love to do it myself, probably in 6.8SPC.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

"Dead nuts reliable" isn't always the case (or IMO, often).....

They can be made to be, but from what I've seen of the QC at RA, the defect rate is pretty high when considered in terms of being able to digest ANY ammo type or brand.

If you want something that just runs out of the box, then a PWS MK1 Pistol: MK1, Mod 1 Pistol, 10.5in Barrel, .223 Wylde, Triad 556 - MK1 Series Pistols is probably a better bet....though it probably exceeds the 26" OAL. Yep, just looked it up....27.5" OAL. Kermit sells PWS too...for reasonable prices.

***EDIT*** Might go to a 7.75" bbl from PWS if you want to be under 26"...this one is 24.5": http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...&idcategory=43

That pretty much leaves you with the XCR pistol, though I don't think the 300 blkout is anywhere near release for the XCR....JMO.

I don't think 10.5" is an option on the mini upper for the XCR either. I think it's now only a 10" IIRC....only an issue if you're thinking of running a suppressor later.

It's up to you (obviously)....but here's my recommendation if you go XCR pistol.

1) Buy it from Kermit. If there's a problem, he can get it fixed sooner than anyone else.

2) If there's a problem, post up the symptoms here....we've fixed a lot of guns by walking people through the process....and that includes a lot of the short bbl XCRs.

3) Buy plenty of spare parts....that includes the spare parts kit (around $100), a spare bolt $125 or so, a spare bbl $400 (if you plan to shoot a lot of steel case ammo or a lot of high volume, high speed rapid fire), perhaps a spare piston/op rod assembly (newer, one piece design), trigger spring (comes in the spare parts kit...but I'd have more than one on hand), several spare firing pins and roll pins to hold them into the bolt, spare recoil spring, couple of spare buffers (1 is included in the spare parts kit...additional *could* be needed over the life of the rifle and they are cheap), maybe a spare newer one piece design BHO. Probably couldn't hurt to have a spare carrier.....though I've only seen one cracked one so far.

4) Fire all kinds of ammo through the weapon before declaring it good to go....if the SHTF and you need to run steel case, you'd better be sure your rifle will eat it....b/c many XCRs won't without some love. Once you get them dialed in, they'll eat it like candy though...but it may take a little effort on the owner's part to make it that way.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 11-13-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Oh trust me, pws was first on my list. And still is. But that is my issue, pws dosnt make a small enough 300blk gun and 7.75 is too short for me. I think i need to hold one that short in my hand. But I'm pretty sure it's too damn short for me

And what ever was closest to 10.5 on the mini. But Kermit has no problem getting a 10ish" mini upper on a pistol lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jblankster View Post
    Oh trust me, pws was first on my list. And still is. But that is my issue, pws dosnt make a small enough 300blk gun and 7.75 is too short for me. I think i need to hold one that short in my hand. But I'm pretty sure it's too damn short for me

And what ever was closest to 10.5 on the mini. But Kermit has no problem getting a 10ish" mini upper on a pistol lower.
    I hear ya....7.75 is really short....though I do have a custom XCR mini SBR with a 8.3125" bbl and it's honestly my favorite gun....just due to the size.

Obligatory pic:

Is an XCR right for me? I think so. Dual use pistol/sbr multi cal multi use rifle-img_1261.jpg
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

And just so you know, Sean took the time through sweat and pain to get it to work by R&D into the port sizes.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedDrum View Post
    I always wanted to see a XCR pistol with a mini upper. If I had the coin, I would love to do it myself, probably in 6.8SPC.
    Here you go. Barrel is 10.5 I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is an XCR right for me? I think so. Dual use pistol/sbr multi cal multi use rifle-hello-079.jpg   Is an XCR right for me? I think so. Dual use pistol/sbr multi cal multi use rifle-hello-081.jpg  

Pretty sure that's a 10".

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Pretty sure that's a 10".
    Says the guy with an 8.31250000000 inch barrel. I'd like it to become a .300 someday and will channel the upper for the gas block if I have to. But I'll let Sean buy one first and figure out what it takes to get it to run right.
    Sorry, can't get my smilies to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors