I never thought I'd do this, but I've moved to the left...

Thread: I never thought I'd do this, but I've moved to the left...

I never thought I'd do this, but I've moved to the left...

... as far as my AR's are concerned. I started a project a few months ago and ordered a lefty upper. I just thought I'd try it out to see if it would really make a difference to me and I must say that it has. I called Adams Arms back in the summer and inquired about their piston kit. It's gotten great reviews and they are a GREAT bunch of guys. They answer the phone when you call and are always very nice. Anyway I asked if their kit would work in a lefty Stag upper and they said absolutely. They also told me that Samson would modify a rail to work with their piston kit. So, I call Samson and talk with Scott Samson himself. I tell him what I want to do and he says no problem. In fact he tells me to call Mark Stag and tell him that Samson will send them a modified rail and an Adam Arms piston kit that they already have in stock, then all Stag will have to do is assemble the upper. You can imagine what kind of nightmare this whole thing could turn into but it went super smooth and I got the goods in the mail in a week and a half, without having to call and check up on the whole thing... even though I did. They were ahead of me!

So I get the upper which is 16" and take it to my smith/machinist and he cuts the barrel to 10.5" and we test and test and drill out the gas port ever so slightly and get the gun up and running without any hiccups. More testing and it's done.

I finally got around to taking some pics of the project. All I can say is that I love it. I love the fact that I can eject a magazine with my left hand and no more brass in my view and no more gas in my face from the suppressor. I wish every company would build 10% of their guns lefty, heck I'd pay extra to have it. Any bites Terra?? Now, I have no problem shooting righty guns, been doing it all my life but this switch has been pleasant.

Here is an overall view. Grip is Magpul MOE and Vltor stock.

Adam Arms retrofit piston kit. Note the PWS bi-lock flash hider/brake.

Samson Star C rail.

Featuring an ambi mag release and Timney trigger on a POF Gen II lower.

I forget who makes this sling adapter. Note ambi safety.

Suppressor is Gemtech G5 which fits on the PWS bilock flash suppressor/brake.

Right now the current optic is an Aimpoint Comp 2. I've had it forever and it works fine. But I am contemplating different optics. I've been trying the ACOG with Docter. I have it and some night vision on loan from Trijicon.

My buddy just picked up an Elcan... pricey. I like the switch that goes from 1x to 4x instantly. But it's built for a right handed operator.

Here it is with all the fixin's. 13.5 lbs like this. It's only for the photo op. But I'm sure some poor fella has to carry a similar setup like this around while trying not to get shot.

Here's one with different light.

I like it so much that I had Talon Arms build me another to match... except it has an 11.5" barrel. It will go on a POF Gen III lower with ambi bolt catch/release. I actually just got the upper in last week and am waiting on the Fed's to approve my paper work for the lower. It will have the same components that this gun has, so the transition will be seamless for me. I wanted a matching gun as back up for carbine classes. To top all that off I have a custom lefty 6.8 piston upper being built. Same rail as these two just will be in 6.8 SPC.

I'm lovin' the left.

Right behind the eight ball, between the rock and the hard place.

Re: I never thought I'd do this, but I've moved to the left...

Sweet !
    No,,he's chaos, I'm mayhem,,,we're a duo act,,

always looking for M96 stuff

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

very slick.

Looking good, as usual.

lol the title of this almost got you beaten. ;D
    Resident Forum Slut

Quote Originally Posted by TerraShrewsbury View Post
    lol the title of this almost got you beaten. ;D
    LOL! Yeah I tried to clarify early in the thread just what I meant. I only did it to get attention, even if it is negative attention. ;D

So when is Alex gonna make me a lefty upper?

you have always been my idol prism, but now more so then ever.

Cartmann, if I could just get my wife to say that... ;D Glad everything is to your liking, sir.

Sponsors