XCR Forum banner

I can't use an ACOG!?

12K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Sean K. 
#1 ·
My eyes just won't focus on any of the ACOG reticles! Anybody else have this problem or herd of it? I've tried a bunch of them and there all blurry for me. I have no problem at all with eotech, aim point, leupold, vortex etc. just the acogs.

Only thing I can come up with is the color, none of the other scopes I've tried are green.

I can't be the only one, maybe it's common.

#2 ·
I haven't had that problem with an ACOG, but for my eyes, I tend to find EoTech sights blurry to the point that I can't use them.

#3 · (Edited)
Check your eye relief (distance of eye from scope). With an ACOG you almost have to put your nose on the charging handle to get the proper eye relief to get a full field of vision. If this doesn't work, have your dominant eye checked. You may have astigmatism, which can give you a blurred or double image.

Also, depending on where you live, bright sunlight can overpower the image in the reticle and give you bloom. Try covering your fiber optic collector with something such as your hand initially, and see if the image sharpens. If it does, cover up part of your collector with tape when this is occurring.

#7 · (Edited)
Most ACOGs are available with red or amber illumination too. Have you tried those? Maybe you are colorblind to green hues? If you are having trouble seeing the ACOG reticle, I doubt the single dot of Aimpoints would offer any improvement.

Eotech reticles do pixelate, especially for those with astigmatism. But how does that affect your ability to put the reticle on-target? There is no magnification and no optic to focus. It's a non-issue with regards to function. More of a personal preference if it is seen as a negative trait.

Having had both, I would say the biggest problem with Eotech (and Aimpoint as well) is if you use a magnifier of any power, you are also magnifying the reticle. While the target picture is bigger, so is your dot. The magnification doesn't help much if the reticle is covering up your target either way.

I now prefer optics with etched reticle with optional illumination. Having a reticle that you can use with or without power, is a nice bonus.

#8 ·
I can't use them either, same issue. I have tried all 3 colors, no joy.

If I stare long enough, it will eventually come into focus, (bout 10-15 seconds) Needless to say that is a show stopper for me. Only optics I can really use now has to have the eye piece focus to sharpen up the reticle. Currently for "1x" types I use a Leupold prismatic and it has really worked well for me. Going to look into the new Vortex 1x prism scope once they are released. Both have eye piece focus to really sharpen up the reticle.

#15 · (Edited)
This has to be the most ignorant post I have heard in 2014.

"My eyes just won't focus on any of the ACOG reticles!"

So what, of the many, ACOG's have you used ??? How about providing model numbers. Just the basics. Something you have abysmally failed to do.

Try and give us some specs.

What is your distance from the eye to the rear of the lens.

What version/s of ACOG are you using ?

You have provide absolutely no information at all.

#16 ·
TechMan- yup I have the chevron type and love it for the reasons you stated!

Dear OldButtPoo
You are a DICK! Everybody here makes fun of you! It's actually something we all do after work! We go threw all your shitty posts and crack up about how dumb they are and how serious you take yourself in them. Thank you for years of entertainment! Oh and almost everybody has slept with you wife!
Sincerely
M.H.

Thanks for the comments guys! I typically do use the both eyes open method, but it just seems like a glass issue for me. Something just dosent line up right and sends my eyes out of wak. Sucks cuz I always hear great thing about them.

I'm Gona give it one more go and really concentrate on the target like TexasChris mentioned and see what happens. But it does sound like there are a few others out there that experience the same issue. Oh and yes I've tried different eye reliefs to no avail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.