Walther ppq m2
Like Tree17Likes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther ppq m2

Post Walther ppq m2

In my research for a 9MM, the Walter PPQ M2.

I looked on their Forum and there are 3 things people usually address.
    • The Recoil Guide Rod - They change it out for a metal one @ $60.

This seems to be a personal choice as some owners have in upwards of 3,000-5,000 rounds without a failure or noticeable wear on the plastic ones. Some are even like Sean and Bravo and don't have the urge to clean them very often. Extra rods are available from Walther for a lot less than $60.
    • The sights are polymer and are switched out to metal night sights.
    • Some guns have some grit in the pull and slight polishing and 'cleanup' is required, others shoot themselves out of that eventually. This can be done DIY with this instruction I found.

http://commonbullets.com/wp/wp-conte...gger_final.pdf

Personal Note: This is probably a non-issue but in a review I saw comparing the VP9 to the PPQ, the rails/slide guides and other metal parts are a lot thicker on the VP9 than thePPQ. This is probably due to the different markets; VP9 - Military/Tactical, PPQ - Civilian/Police. BTW, the guide rod in the VP9 is metal. I will probably never shoot mine enough to see a stress failure but the OCD in me has some say in this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Fwiw, I tried the PPQ, and didn't like it as much as my G17 with the Rocket trigger connector.

I've had a decent bit of time on the VP9. If there was something that would take me away from the G17, this is probably it.
    But the VP9 isn't as TEOTWAWKI friendly as the Glock, so I'm sticking with it.
    wombat338 likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Yup, I'm "all in" with Glocks too -- have ditched all of my other plastic pistols, except for a Kahr P380 for pocket carry, and the PPS.
    Bravo likes this.
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

If the factory, after thousands of rounds in testing, end up going to production with a polymer guide rod chances are it is just fine. I find that, at times, the internet is the best place to find excuses to waste money.

I've spent a bunch on my M&Ps and they all can still shoot better than I can.

In the end it all boils down to personal preference. I've read plenty that say the PPQ has a better trigger and think the VP9 has poor build quality for a HK. There are also plenty who wound up buying the VP9 and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    Last edited by fmunk; 06-07-2015 at 01:43 AM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Good points Fmunk, and to a large part I agree.

Here's the deal..... I've first-hand witnessed a stock Glock "captured" recoil spring type plastic guide rod go tango-uniform.
    Interestingly, the pistol still functioned just fine.
    If the owner hadn't field stripped it for cleaning, it would have continued running too - but he couldn't get the broken parts back into the pistol in a way that worked.
    Do I replace mine with steel spring guide rods? Yes. Do I feel like they're "required to have the pistol be functional"? No. But I replace the parts that I've had / seen fail, if it's economical, easy, and most of all doesn't compromise functionality of the pistol. In a Glock, that's mostly recoil spring guide rods, springs (especially the recoil spring), and sights. After that, you're getting into "personal preference" items. And all the stock parts go into a baggie marked "used stock parts". With that, and the baggie of new parts, I can replace / repair pretty much anything on my pistol that isn't a broken slide, melted frame, or ruptured barrel. EVERYTHING breaks, given enough use.

Also, I kinda agree on the VP9. Those "ears" on the rear of the slide LOOK like a great idea. However, the first time they were used to rack the slide (off a steel shelf), the one used to catch the shelf came off the pistol. Yeah, they're not part of the slide, they're plastic inserts. It looked to me like the rear sight had to be taken off to install them too. But I have said publically (being typically considered "anti-HK"), that the VP9 has the best trigger of any HK product I've ever used. And that would be most of them.

And I don't think the PPQ trigger is "bad" at all. Heck, neither the VP9 or the PPQ had as good of a trigger as my G17 with a cheap Ghost connector though - and both the VP9 and the PPQ require a hammer and punch if you want to strip the slide down. Hence my reason for saying they weren't as TEOTWAWKI friendly.

Just my opinion, and worth pretty much what you paid for it ;-)
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

The PPQ is the whole reason I got the Ghost Rocket connectors for my Glocks. The PPQ trigger is awesome....and the Rocket is just that much better than even it.

I'd be very tempted to get a VP9...only b/c I've always like HKs even though after owning 3, I never shot them as well as my Glocks. That said, I'm so invested in mags, holsters and parts for the Glock (not to mention all the pistols themselves).....I'm not sure switching is a good idea. Also, I think there would be some significant retraining since I can't just cut the slide stop off the HK like I do my Glocks to accommodate my fat hands and silly high grip....which means I'd have to have two grips for each type of pistol....again, not something I think is a good idea from a training standpoint.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    The PPQ is the whole reason I got the Ghost Rocket connectors for my Glocks. The PPQ trigger is awesome....and the Rocket is just that much better than even it.
    I'll have to give that a try. I have Zev Tech triggers in mine. Home - ZEV Technologies
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

I really like the VP9, I don't own one, but have monkey pawed several. I will agree, the slide ears should be made of metal. But, I think the build quality is excellent and the trigger is fantastic. The magazines are a hoot, the steel is folded together in jigsaw puzzle format--talk about strong.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Right on all counts!

The VP9 has a good trigger. Still has far more over-travel than the Ghost Glocks, but yeah, it's good like the PPQ is good.

My shooting buddy would have bought all my Glocks and sold me VP9s at his cost (barely more than a new G17) if I'd given him the word. But I didn't. Not just because I'm in the same position Sean is (and I am!), but because I prefer to have a pistol that I don't need a hammer to disassemble.

Besides, they're made by HK.
    And HK hates you.

ETA: Wombat, you interested in trading that ZEV for a lightning strike?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Besides, they're made by HK.
    And HK hates you.
    Interestingly, I was just at a range day where a Sig rep came with a large rolling case full of ballistic goodness, and lots of free ammo. (I can now attest that the P226 X-Five does have a fantastic single action trigger, and a very annoying thumb safety. Also, Sig will begin production of the P210 in the U.S., probably next year.) In any event, this gentleman had previously worked for HK, and said the corporate "attitude" was as painful to deal with from the inside as it is for average Joe customers.

ETA: Wombat, you interested in trading that ZEV for a lightning strike?
    Nah, I'm happy with my setup. Once I've got something the way I want it, I prefer not to monkey with it. However, I have two Glocks inbound (a G19 and a G40). When they arrive, I may try a Rocket connector in the G19, or maybe a G34 I've been considering getting for use in IDPA SSP Div.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors