Gas Block Question
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bravo
  • 1 Post By TTEngineer
  • 1 Post By SLCXCR

Thread: Gas Block Question

Gas Block Question

So I have noticed several different gas blocks, what is the current design? Is the .300 entirely different or are there plans to use only one design?

The bolt carrier has also changed recently as well correct?
    Light is fast ... fast is good

For what it's worth, I've got all 4 gas block designs and the 2 carrier designs.

My OPINION is that I'd stick with the 2nd gas block design and the 1st carrier design, on a carbine.

That I know of, you HAVE to go with the 2nd carrier design on the -M.

I just don't have enough rounds down the tube of my carbine with the 4th gas block design to make a realistic comment, other than from a perceived durability standpoint: I don't care for set screws on much of anything.
    mjorin likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

They are shipping short stoke kits now though right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Still pretty sure that's a no on the short stroke. But I'm never first in the loop when they finally get new stuff out. The M only has the one design for the carrier. The L has both styles of carrier. The M style, with the firing pin attached to the carrier is the latest style and is what comes on the new L rifles. For gas blocks, the 300 style is the newest and should work with the same oprods that the 5 position gas block uses once they make appropriate gas tube lengths. The short stroke is going to be a new piston head but the rest of the guts will work with it to include the original style carrier and bolt.

FWIW I'm a big fan of the 300 block. I think once they get gas tubes for all the gas system lengths they should just ditch the 5 position.
    As I said earlier, this may not be the most current info.
    Last edited by navalbeaver; 11-23-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Still pretty sure that's a no on the short stroke. But I'm never first in the loop when they finally get new stuff out. The M only has the one design for the carrier. The L has both styles of carrier. The M style, with the firing pin attached to the carrier is the latest style and is what comes on the new L rifles. For gas blocks, the 300 style is the newest and should work with the same oprods that the 5 position gas block uses once they make appropriate gas tube lengths. The short stroke is going to be a new piston head but the rest of the guts will work with it to include the original style carrier and bolt.

FWIW I'm a big fan of the 300 block. I think once they get gas tubes for all the gas system lengths they should just ditch the 5 position.
    As I said earlier, this may not be the most current info.
    So the short stroke is a prototype right now? Is it for the M or L? I have the 300 right now but I am just trying to figure out which kit i need for 556. Do RA make or have plans to make the 300 style gas block in other calibers? I would love to get a 556 kit with the block under the rail with a 9.3" barrel just like my 300. But maybe a 10.5" would be better for performance.

Again, my info isn't gospel. I've been told that the biggest benefit for the short stroke in the L is parts commonality with the M. It sounded like they had trouble getting parts and there was no solid timeline on getting them out to the public.

I haven't heard about any change to the M's gas system.

Have also been told they were looking at using the 300 block on other calibers but no time line was given.

If I were going to go away from the 5-position standard -L gas block, I'd for-sure want it to be for the 300 block.
    The first -L block wasn't nearly as refined as the 5-position, it needed 'upgrading'. However, I'm not all that "sold" on the short-stroke block.....

I can say that running my Blackout with the block under the handguards was QED. It was originally on setting 2, changing settings to get the brass to eject more than a foot or so from my feet (literally) was quick and easy with just a loose round to index the dial. I'd be happy. Besides, if my OCD kicked in hard, I could always take it to a machine shop and have the axle and dial drilled through, to attach the two with a sturdy roll pin.

Speaking of which - have any of you found a good way of getting all the carbon out of the 300 block without disassembling it?
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post

Speaking of which - have any of you found a good way of getting all the carbon out of the 300 block without disassembling it?

I use a sonic cleaner every time i shoot.
    SLCXCR likes this.

That's a little less "field expedient" than I was hoping ;-)

I can't even imagine how I lived without my Sonic Hot Tub.
    TTEngineer likes this.

Sponsors