Decisions and Consequences

Thread: Decisions and Consequences

Decisions and Consequences

Hi folks, I would just like to mention something that seems obvious to me about firearms that many people don't seem to pay much attention to, and that is barrel weight. Chances are that if your gun isn't manually operated, and sporting a high magnification scope, the difference in accuracy between a heavy and a light barrel in terms of accuracy is negligible. The difference in utility, however, is significant.

For example, I will use my XCR. Over Xmas, I decided to buy myself a replacement 5.56 barrel, since I don't like the heavy barrel that came with mine (got it used). I shoot plenty of multi-gun locally to where it really dawned on me just how heavy it was to carry the XCR around for a while vs. my ARs, all of which sport pencil barrels or fluted barrels. Well, I got my new barrel from Robinson Arms, an 18.6" 1:7 Lightweight 5.56, because I have never seen one in FL, and I like the added velocity and reduced blast that comes with a longer barrel. To me, anything under 22" in length is still a carbine, and always will be. I mean, is the M1 Carbine a rifle nowadays?

The difference in weight between my 18.6" light profile barrel and my old 16" heavy profile 5.56 is significant:
    16" 5.56 1:8 Heavy Profile (L-BL556-CM08-S160H), A2 Flash Hider: 41.1oz/1165.17 grams
    18.6" 5.56 1:7 Light Profile (L-BL556-CM07-S186L), A2 Flash Hider: 33.8oz/958.21 grams
    *Type 1 Gas Block used on both

7.3oz! That's almost half a pound! That's nearly the difference between a fullsize 1911 and a Beretta 92FS! Considering that I am constantly encountering the complaint that the Beretta is "heavy for a 9mm", a sentiment that I agree with, the fact that these two barrels both weigh more than that is a significant consideration if you intend to take your rifle on patrol.

In addition to this, I had an AAC 51T Blackout flash suppressor on the Hbar which weights 4.2oz. This is more than 2oz more than a standard, common, and cheap A2 FH weighs. I changed that out, and the 16" Hbar immediately felt lighter and more nimble, but it's still a beast compared to the new light profile one, which isn't even the lightest barrel I could have picked! Without even going with an SBR, one could get a light profile 14.7" (L-BL556-CM07-S147L) and pin and weld on a flash hider, and have a gun that's lighter still.

Decisions and Consequences-20170227_170824-1-.jpg

Tomorrow, I plan on shooting them both at the rifle range, and will post accuracy results, probably at 50yds due to open sights and my lack of a spotting scope. Stay tuned!

IIRC, you can have ADCO flute and profile the 16" heavy to be just a few ounces heavier than the light barrel of same length.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I investigated that as an option for mine, but we modeled the barrels on AutoCAD and it only looked like it would shave 3oz or something like that. I considered turning the profile to a light profile, but that seems silly, and I'll probably just sell it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Just weighed my 14.5" heavy (actually just over that from end of extension to base of the brake) with pinned AAC Brakeout 1.0, gas block and valve: 32.48 oz. If price is right on your 1:8, I might be interested.
    Last edited by fmunk; 02-27-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Okay, well, that's 4" shorter than my 18.6", are you sure it's a heavy profile? I will list the 16" one here first if I decide to sell it, I'll even PM you first.

Also, I did get to the range today, but I only had time to sight in a pair of Russian SKS's (Mine is a Tula 1952 refurb, and my friend's is a 1950 refurb) for our local Ordinance Rifle (Pre-1951 service rifle) match, and then I had to help a guy fix his AR. I didn't get to shoot my M1 or my XCR, so no accuracy results until next week at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Partisan View Post
    Okay, well, that's 4" shorter than my 18.6", are you sure it's a heavy profile? I will list the 16" one here first if I decide to sell it, I'll even PM you first.

Also, I did get to the range today, but I only had time to sight in a pair of Russian SKS's (Mine is a Tula 1952 refurb, and my friend's is a 1950 refurb) for our local Ordinance Rifle (Pre-1951 service rifle) match, and then I had to help a guy fix his AR. I didn't get to shoot my M1 or my XCR, so no accuracy results until next week at least.
    Yes, it started life as a 16" heavy, purchased with rifle from Kermit in 2010. Sent to ADCO for fluting (6) forward of the gas block, profiling aft of it. Intention to post numbers was not to contradict your post but to add data to the thread. I've never weighed it before and because of your thread, I realized that I should check mine out since I now have a postal scale at home, after all these years.
    Last edited by fmunk; 02-28-2017 at 09:16 PM.

I knew my 16" heavy was significantly heavier than my friend's 16" Light, but he lives 3 hours away, and I didn't want to bother him to check. One of my first posts on this forum was an attempt to get everyone who was game to compose a master list of all the barrel weights by configuration, but nobody was interested because of the enormous variety of configurations, etc.

I didn't think my M16A2 was heavy (I owned a Columbian Mauser in High School, and had lugged around my friend's stepdad's M1) until I picked up an M16A1 and I realized that we were going in completely the wrong direction in arms development for very silly reasons. Then, the USMC adopted the yet-heavier M16A4, and the army adopted the marginally lighter (but louder, less powerful, and arguably less accurate) M4 Carbine as standard issue, and it's STILL heavier than the A1. SMH.

Sponsors