XCR-L 6.5 Grendel - Page 4
Like Tree19Likes
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR-L 6.5 Grendel

6.5 vs 6.8 SBR - AR15.COM

There are several 6.5 vs 6.8 threads going on arfcom. Both calibers have their fanboys. The threads are informative and entertaining.

Imo, the availabilty of cheap steel cased plinking ammo makes the 6.5 grendel a no brainer for the XCR. For ar's under 300 yards take your pick. Anything longer range goes to the superior ballistics of the grendel.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    6.5 vs 6.8 SBR - AR15.COM

There are several 6.5 vs 6.8 threads going on arfcom. Both calibers have their fanboys. The threads are informative and entertaining.

Imo, the availabilty of cheap steel cased plinking ammo makes the 6.5 grendel a no brainer for the XCR. For ar's under 300 yards take your pick. Anything longer range goes to the superior ballistics of the grendel.
    Agreed. 6.8 is really for SBRs and shorter distances and is far better (ballistically) than 5.56 or .300 BLK *provided we're not talking supressed*....though I've read/seen a lot of posted evidence of it's use out to 600 yards with good effect, but ya.....6.5G is a lot better than any of the others at those kind of distances.

What I don't know is: how accurate is the Wolf plinking ammo? And just as importantly, how accurate is it out of an XCR (which aren't known for being super accurate anyway)? The fact that ammo's cheap is great and if it'll print 2-3 MOA out of an XCR at 100, I'd probably buy one. JMO.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Sean,. Found this about the wolf accuracy. Seems decent but it's out of an AR. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/...pic_IN_OP.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Sean,. Found this about the wolf accuracy. Seems decent but it's out of an AR. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/...pic_IN_OP.html
    That's a pretty impressive write up. Didn't read all 6 pages yet....but plan to. I'm interested. Are mags still limited to CProducts and ASC? Are they reliable?

Looks like Alexander Arms has a version made by E-Lander....about $21 per 24 round mag. 6.5 Grendel High-Capacity Magazine by E-Lander

ASCs are $11-15: ASC AR-15 6.5 Grendel 25-Round Stainless Steel Magazine

ASC AR-15 6.5 & 264 25rd Magazine, Black Stainless, New.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    The new gas system works fine in older guns. You'll just need to get the appropriate gas tube with it. I've moved a type 3 gas block around to several of my older setups without issue. The piston/op rod are interchangeable between the type 1 and 3 for a given gas length.
    So I guess the question is: Is RA making Type 1 bolts in 6.5G? If so, I could essentially order a competition upper complete with omni deflector, bbl retention bolt, charging handle and fixed ejector assemblies, 6.5G Type 1 bolt (and a spare) and full gas system (piston/op rod, gas tube and tuckable Type 3 gas block)....to go on my Type 1 lower receiver, correct?
    Last edited by Sean K.; 05-01-2017 at 08:54 AM.

RA lists the the type 2 bolts as 7.62x39 and 6.5. Not sure if they've done different specs on the bolt compared to the type 1 7.62x39. If the type 1 is compatible than what you said would work. Will try and get some clarification on the bolt specs.

Got this in an email from Holly today.

The only barrel lengths we are offering in
    the 6.5 Grendel are the 16" & 18.6" Light or Heavy.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8santini View Post
    Got this in an email from Holly today.

The only barrel lengths we are offering in
    the 6.5 Grendel are the 16" & 18.6" Light or Heavy.

Thanks for the info. A 16" light is probably what I'd go with personally. Did she say if it would be a type 3 gas block?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Thanks for the info. A 16" light is probably what I'd go with personally. Did she say if it would be a type 3 gas block?
    I didn't ask, but I will.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8santini View Post
    I didn't ask, but I will.
    Thanks!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsors