Random thoughts on crypto - Page 2
Like Tree48Likes
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts on crypto

I have a lot to say on crypto currency and most of it is not good, but that isn't to say there's no market, there obviously is. I've been looking at ripple for the long term, and I'll be investing there shortly.
    Travis Kay
    www.traviskay.ca
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I have a lot to say on crypto currency and most of it is not good, but that isn't to say there's no market, there obviously is. I've been looking at ripple for the long term, and I'll be investing there shortly.
    What's not good about it to/for you?
    Merlin likes this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    What's not good about it to/for you?
    Yes, do tell please. I like to hear both sides and why the change of heart to 'ripple'.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Chris, been looking at hardware wallets if I decide to do anything with crypto. Any opinion on that? I just feel more comfortable having it in hand, so to say.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Chris, been looking at hardware wallets if I decide to do anything with crypto. Any opinion on that? I just feel more comfortable having it in hand, so to say.
    The two top picks are the Trezor and the Ledger. Both have multiple currency support but the Ledger has more. Although at the moment, My holdings are spread on various exchanges (but I actively trade so to avoid constantly having to move currency in order to do that, it's advantageous atm to not have anything in cold, or offline, storage) I'll likely wind up with both , but I do favor the Trezor because they have android support.
    Last edited by TexasChris; 12-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Thanks Chris. I am looking at the Ledger. Probably won't be trading much, only to buy ripple but only then to put away long term.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Keeping your crypto in a separate wallet completely negates one of its major advantages. And that's not having to deal with banks.

Just keep it with the exchange or on your own personal system at home.

Don't fall into the same trap our ancestors fell into with banks. That's one of the reasons crypto is growing like crazy ... it sticks it to the man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Alright guys, I've written this out almost half a dozen times and started over each time because I can't get it right.....so in no particular order and with zero flow here are some things I'd like everyone to know.

- Crypto is not a bubble (some are now saying its the pin, and that the failing traditional markets are the bubble.) Outsiders have been saying this since 1 dollar. That's right, 1 dollar. THere have been massive corrections already, from triple digits to single digits, from 1000 to 200. It has not been the un-ending meteoric rise that the detractors would have you believe it is. I bought it right after an almost 50% correction in may/april (from 2900 to 1750). That's why the only people shocked that its still going are outsiders who don't understand.....its only magic when you don't know how it works.

- Though I've heard the word "ponzi" used several times, no one has ever fleshed the argument out and simultaneously demonstrated an understanding of the experiment....the ironic part though is that almost all of the people I've heard make the association are currently on the US dollar.....the reigning heavyweight champion of the ponzi world.

- Crypto will likely be the single most disruptive technology of our lifetime. Nothing has had the potential to affect immediate, lasting and permanent change since 1776.

- We are the last of the dinosaurs that thought we might have to shoot it out with the gub. All the info that we scraped and clawed for, all of our scrounging and sleuthing and debating.....these kids had it at their fingertips. They underwent no great mental migration, it was just there.....presented as fact. They realized that not only was violence a poor solution, but that it played right into what the state wants. These kids understood that a velvet revolution was possible, all they had to do was incentivize a better system than the broken one we are currently in. We all know he who controls the money controls the power.....what happens if we control the money?

- Crypto can be summed up in one word: Voluntary. (but buy ripple because that's the .gov wunder koin, and it will be triple digits in the next 2 years. If we must have overlords, I want to be a comfortable slave shooting match ammo.)

- Because it is both voluntary and places great power in the hands of each of us it represents an opportunity for us to separate money and state. Say that again until the implications start to sink in. Crypto _could_ be our magic bullet. Nothing has made me so optimistic about the future....I'm so hopeful that it feels down right weird. We have a chance....a real by God chance.

- Crypto allows the individual to exercise everything from a degree of control in a centralized system to absolute authority in an an entirely anonymous and decentralized system.

- Crypto is still in its infancy, the bus hasn't left. 99.99 percent of the world has no idea what it is, and of the .01 percent who do, half have written it off as a scam for internet dorks and meme lords, a quarter think its a ponzi and the other quarter are making money hand over fist.

- Crypto represents the cashless society of the future, but rather than being the chains that imprison, it is the key that lets us out.

- Most of us here know that the market crashes are intentionally created by the fed to cripple us and further condense their power.....opt out. This next crash (in months to years) will be severe, and when it happens, people will rush to crypto in droves....that's not conjecture. Go back and look at the bitcoin charts for 2013....notice anything around the time that the greek banking system failed? Then a few months later when China went ham? The dates perfectly coincide with huge movements as people began searching (and found) for a secure store of wealth. Don't be necessity driven like they were.....crypto is the hay to be made while the sun is shining. Personally, I plan on spending like a mofo in this next down turn.

<edit> ....and if, on the off chance, we do not crash....and we have fair skies and following wind for the next few years.....imagine what crypto will do when people have money to burn...... <\edit>

- In 3 years time everyone will personally know someone who has made money on crypto. This will range from a few extra bucks, to a nice truck, a paid off house, kids college to lambos and gulfstreams. The regulatory swipe I was afraid of initially, is no longer of much concern. The government is terrified because there's really nothing they can do to stop people from using crypto.

Here's the thing, I first heard about this back in 2008, and I immediately said "its a scam." I didn't read anything about it, I didn't do any research I just took the little I was presented, threw it on the very basic understanding I had and built an opinion like it mattered and went on with my life......what I wouldn't give to go back.....but I got a second chance. Because folks will wonder, my motivation is simple, getting to know someone via the written word is an interesting thing. We've all strolled through the deepest corners of each others minds. We've become intimately acquainted with the way we reason, and think. Rationalize and justify....the way we approach obstacles and deal with them. I've come to appreciate and respect a great deal of the minds here and found them to be in greater centralized number than I have ever experienced in the real world......I want nothing more than for you guys to have good things. The most valuable resource in my world is time, and my dream was always to never have to do anything with it that I didn't want to....crypto as a vehicle has allowed me to make up decades of ground in the last 6 months towards that goal.....but its just getting started. I know how crazy it sounds I do....this is the 5th time I've written this.....I get it.

If you have legitimately done your research, and you are 100% sure its scam.....ok.....you can't regret that. I regret 2008 because I _didnt'_ do my research and I was anything but sure. I was cocky and arrogant. I confused what I thought with what was. If I had taken one....just one night for due diligence, I would have realized just how incredible the scope of this project is...... and I'd be a multi millionaire. Just one evening of googling and I would have done then exactly what I did this time around. Gone yard. If you've written it off because you _think_ its a ponzi scheme or you _think_ its a scam give it another shot......read until you're sure. Ask questions, google, get on bitcointalk. This is one of the most significant financial opportunities of our lifetimes, and its still the ground floor. In 3 short years your life could be wildly different.

Just be sure, I think that's the point. Just be sure....and if you're not 100% sure maybe don't eat out once a month and put the money in Ripple. Because when it's 300+ dollars and you averaged under a dollar, you'll thank me.

I think I'm doing this because I wish the person who brought btc to me initially had sat me down and gone "look....you're too smart to really think that.....listen to me...." and discussed it further. Once I understood what was being proposed and how it fit into our lives, the risk dropped significantly.....obviously any speculation carries with it the inherent risk of bust, but as far as sure things go.....crypto is about as good as it gets (on the whole, scam coins abound and imposters are popping up everywhere but if you can navigate the internet without neurotically punching your credit card numbers into every pop up and you know enough not to wire nigerian princes your life savings, you'll be fine.)

There's a quote I first came into contact with in the Ron Paul circles back in 2008, and every time crypto is brought up I find it dancing around in the back of my mind: There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come.

So whatever comes next, and how ever it comes good luck to all of you and all the best to all of yours.

-Chris
    So Chris, where would you suggest someone new to crypto start? In your opinion, what would a good simple base setup look like for you if you were starting into cryptos today knowing what you already know? Obviously, there's a lot of options, scams, information, specialized language, etc. to scare off a lot of potential newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by willpgn View Post
    So Chris, where would you suggest someone new to crypto start? In your opinion, what would a good simple base setup look like for you if you were starting into cryptos today knowing what you already know? Obviously, there's a lot of options, scams, information, specialized language, etc. to scare off a lot of potential newbies.
    The most important thing is to just read until you understand what's being offered. Some just see it as a speculative instrument, some see it as the philosophical silver bullet aimed at the state, some see it as _the libertarian_ banner and maintain it is our duty to fly it...it's all of those things.

If you're asking how to structure a portfolio, that depends on acceptable risk.

I'm very keen on Ripple, though its the anti-christ of the crypto world because they have repeatedly and very publicly proclaimed that we should play nice with the government, embrace regulation and submit to state scrutiny. I hate all of those things, but if Ripple is successful, triple digits is a very real possibility. Anything under a dollar is golden. Litecoin was 12 dollars when I first bought it. It's 350 right now.

Ethereum is the backbone of an entire system, most ICO's (initial coin offerings) are run on ETH. Its a good coin.

BTC is the king but The Jihan Wu cartel can't be underestimated. They've just succeeded in getting BCH (Bitcoin cash) listed on coinbase, they're focused and unified and the BTC camp is kind of fragmented at present. I do hold some BCH that I got in the drop (everyone who had BTC, received an equal amount of BCH when it dropped. That's right...free money....and BCH spiked to 8000.00 us yesterday.)

Litecoin is the red headed step child of the crypto world. Charlie lee is an absolute nut, but Litecoin is fast and widely accepted.

I would stick with those 3 (and ripple) until you better understand what's going on, because the volatility can be nauseating. Don't invest money you can't lose, and don't take my opinions as the end all be all.

While your DD is underway, I'd set up a coinbase acct and link your bank, it takes a while. That way, if you decide to move on something, you'll have the option. Don't be like me and realize "i'd like to buy ripple at .3 cents" go to purchase it and realize its not as easy as buying something on Amazon. Over the next two weeks as I waited for accts to confirm and validate, I watched it go to 42 cents.....hurt my soul to turn on my computer. I did get enough money in play to short the daylights out of it on the way back to .14 cents but still....a hard lesson learned. Be proactive in setting things up, so that you have the option to act immediately on your DD.

Lastly, research research research. Crypto is definitely playing by big boy rules....you get scammed, you'll get laughed at. You send 100 litecoin to a bitcoin address, its gone. You lose your wallet key, sucks to be you. Once you start things in motion the onus lands squarely and solely on you.

Be thorough and make sure you understand things before you pull any triggers.

I am also currently watching or trading

XMR (monero)
    STR (Stellar Lumens)
    BCH (bitcoin cash)
    Dash (Dash)
    STORJ (Storage coin)
    GNT (Golem)
    BAT (Basic attention token)
    SIA (Siacoin)
    BURST (Burst coin, an online gambling token)

and

OMG (Omisego, perhaps the most ambitious project currently in play. Read their whitepaper, its incredible.)

I like this guys channel:

Quote Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
    Keeping your crypto in a separate wallet completely negates one of its major advantages. And that's not having to deal with banks.

Just keep it with the exchange or on your own personal system at home.

Don't fall into the same trap our ancestors fell into with banks. That's one of the reasons crypto is growing like crazy ... it sticks it to the man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Gox, Etherdelta, You bit, Bitstamp, Bitfinex...the list is only going to grow. I wouldn't leave my $ on an exchange long term.

I use a ledger except for Cardano which I use their wallet for now.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors