.277 Wolverine - Page 2
Like Tree8Likes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .277 Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    I have quite a bit of experience with it.....most of it bad. There are quite a few inherent problems.
    I've been playing with the 277 WLV for a couple years to include processing my own brass out of 223 cases. I have found it really no different than making 300 BLK although the cases can have a slight inward roll at the case mouth when first trimmed. But I take care of this by running them through a 270 Weatherby die after forming and trimming.

There are quite a few bullets that work well although I tend to stick with Speer TNTs and Sierra Pro Hunters. Both are generally inexpensive and both have proven pretty accurate. For hunting I'd probably use the 90gr Speer Gold Dot.

For those who may not be familiar with the 277 it is a wildcat based off a 223 that's shortened and necked up to accept a .277 bullet. In use it is not unlike 300 Blackout but it has a bit more powder capacity.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sounds like pretty good stuff for a reloader. For widespread use, it's up against some pretty tough competition from 300 BLK.

Honestly, unless you are shooting subsonic suppressed, I can't really see what either round has over the 6.8 SPC, once you have your gun and ammo sorted. 6.8 seems kind of dead in the water these days, though. There are a lot of reasons to go with 300 BLK, most of them about market penetration and availability.

I still haven't found anything I like as much as 6.5 Grendel for a do-it-all light platform, and that's been true for almost 20 years now. I'd take one of the other contenders for a short barrel urban environment, but not by a huge margin, and there's way more open desert than city buildings where I live.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Sounds like pretty good stuff for a reloader. For widespread use, it's up against some pretty tough competition from 300 BLK.

Honestly, unless you are shooting subsonic suppressed, I can't really see what either round has over the 6.8 SPC, once you have your gun and ammo sorted. 6.8 seems kind of dead in the water these days, though. There are a lot of reasons to go with 300 BLK, most of them about market penetration and availability.

I still haven't found anything I like as much as 6.5 Grendel for a do-it-all light platform, and that's been true for almost 20 years now. I'd take one of the other contenders for a short barrel urban environment, but not by a huge margin, and there's way more open desert than city buildings where I live.
    Here's a new one that's backed by Hornady. It is already reported to be in military use and was supposedly made by military request:

The 277 and 300 are pretty similar. The big difference is that the 277 was designed for supersonic use with subsonic capabilities. The 300 was designed for subsonic use with supersonic as more of an afterthought. The 277 can be used subsonic suppressed but it is probably at its best when loaded for supersonic performance.

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-07-2020 at 07:40 AM.
    Sean K. likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

That's where I'm at. I really liked 6.8 SPC II....except for the price. If you reload...then it's viable.

6.8 may see a resurgence. The 4 new next gen rifles for the military are all chambered in 6.8, but it's 6.8 Spear...which is a .308 case with a 6.8 bullet. I'm of the opinion this may replace the .308 for the military; *may* being the operative word.

I agree though...for 300 BLK....unless you're going suppressed...it's really similar to X39, but it reliably feeds in a STANAG mag without severe curvature. Just wish cheap plinking ammo was available.

And your reasoning for 6.5G is why I got into it...and the fact that Wolf is available for cheap practice.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 06-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post

6.8 may see a resurgence. The 4 new next gen rifles for the military are all chambered in 6.8.
    As you likely know, the military's current 6.8 experiments have no real similarities to the 6.8 SPC. I doubt future military adoption of the Next Gen 6.8 will have much, if any, impact on what becomes of the SPC.

I agree though...for 300 BLK....unless you're going suppressed...it's really similar to X39, but it reliably feeds in a STANAG mag without severe curvature. Just wish cheap plinking ammo was available.
    Like the BLK, the 277 WLV will fit and feed properly in a standard M16 magazine. In fact it stacks better in some cases. Depending on brands of mag and shape of bullets, 300 BLK may not always stack properly.

If it sees widespread market penetration, the 6mm ARC looks pretty good. Hopefully someone rolls out some budget practice ammo for it.

I'll give it another year or two to see before I jump into it.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Like the BLK, the 277 WLV will fit and feed properly in a standard M16 magazine. In fact it stacks better in some cases. Depending on brands of mag and shape of bullets, 300 BLK may not always stack properly.

Problem is...it has no where near the adoption of BLK....at least not yet.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

If it sees widespread market penetration, the 6mm ARC looks pretty good. Hopefully someone rolls out some budget practice ammo for it.

I'll give it another year or two to see before I jump into it.
    Yeah, unless someone comes up with budget ammo early on, it will probably be several years before it will be common enough that I'd get one.

Problem is...it has no where near the adoption of BLK....at least not yet.
    277 is strictly a wildcat at this point with no SAAMI approval.

There is apparently an effort to get the cartridge approved by CIP in Europe. If that happens it'll help the cartridge become more mainstream but even then it'll always be an AR oddball.

Yeah, unless someone comes up with budget ammo early on, it will probably be several years before it will be common enough that I'd get one.
    Yep. It looks like a good incremental improvement to 6.5G (which is my favorite intermediate cartridge), but at this point it looks like it will be oriented toward government (i.e. cost insensitive) sales, where the lack of practice ammo won't hurt it. It's got a good industry coalition, though, so hopefully it's the next 300 BLK.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors