.277 Wolverine - Page 3
Like Tree8Likes
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .277 Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    6.8 may see a resurgence. The 4 new next gen rifles for the military are all chambered in 6.8, but it's 6.8 Spear...which is a .308 case with a 6.8 bullet. I'm of the opinion this may replace the .308 for the military; *may* being the operative word.
    What's the advantage of the 6.8 Spear over the 6.5 Creedmoor?
    Last edited by TomAiello; 06-08-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    What's the advantage of the 6.8 Spear over the 6.5 Creedmoor?
    The only one I see is that it doesnt' wear out bbls super fast....otherwise, in just about any category, 6.5C is better.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yep. It looks like a good incremental improvement to 6.5G (which is my favorite intermediate cartridge), but at this point it looks like it will be oriented toward government (i.e. cost insensitive) sales, where the lack of practice ammo won't hurt it. It's got a good industry coalition, though, so hopefully it's the next 300 BLK.
    What are you running for mags and are they 100% reliable? I've had spotty reliability with a few of my ASC 25 rounders in the 6.5G. Thinking of trying the Elanders next.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Are you loading the ASC's to 25 rounds? I use them a fair bit, and I've generally had good luck with them, but I also tend to run them at 22 or 23 rounds.

I've never had any issues with the E-Landers, even when loaded all the way up. I'm sure they're not perfect (nothing ever is) but they've been as reliable as any magazine I've used in any other caliber.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

Are you loading the ASC's to 25 rounds? I use them a fair bit, and I've generally had good luck with them, but I also tend to run them at 22 or 23 rounds.

I've never had any issues with the E-Landers, even when loaded all the way up. I'm sure they're not perfect (nothing ever is) but they've been as reliable as any magazine I've used in any other caliber.
    I bought 11...load all of them to 25 rounds they claim they take and had 4 of the mags have failures to feed correctly when I got around the 8 rounds left mark.

I sent them back to ASC under warranty....and allegedly, they shipped more out. I still haven't gotten them and it's been well over a month since this whole return process started.

I noticed the Elanders were only 24 round capacity....so I've thought of downloading the ASCs to that number to see if they'd work more reliably....as I said, 7 of the mags have had several cycles with no issues.

Thinking of spending a third or so more for the Elanders to ensure reliability though. Thanks for the feedback.

The E-Landers have a better reputation than the ASC, in general. I haven't had too many problems with the ASC, but definitely more issues with ASC than E-Lander. I tend to think of the ASC as "practice mags", and I'm generally ok with more issues because I view rapid troubleshooting as a skill that requires development and practice.

I know that Alexander uses E-Lander mags (retagged with their brand) as the "factory" Grendel mags.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

The E-Landers have a better reputation than the ASC, in general. I haven't had too many problems with the ASC, but definitely more issues with ASC than E-Lander. I tend to think of the ASC as "practice mags", and I'm generally ok with more issues because I view rapid troubleshooting as a skill that requires development and practice.

I know that Alexander uses E-Lander mags (retagged with their brand) as the "factory" Grendel mags.
    Thanks....looks like I need to make an order. BTW, what do you load the Elanders to? Same 22-23 rounds?

Yes. I habitually underload all my magazines by 1 or 2 rounds.
    Sean K. likes this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

So I emailed Mark Kexel (the fellow behind the marketing of the 277 WLV) who in turn put me in touch with a man named Dan Fisher.

Dan is an early fan of the Wolverine and has done some custom barrels for this cartridge. He tells me he has done some XCR stuff in the past and that making a barrel is a straightforward process.

No idea of cost yet but at least we know the project is doable.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

At one time AR15barrels.com was willing to make a custom XCR bbl if you provided the extension. Not sure if that's still true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors