Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One Of a Kind XCR-M

Damn, 8.5 lbs. That's disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Quote Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
    Damn, 8.5 lbs. That's disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep...me too. Not sure what I was expecting to be honest.....considering how heavy an XCR-L is even with KM and a light profile bbl. I'm sure part of that is the bbl being heavy profile.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

The curse continues, LOL....

So FINALLY took this out last night for a night shoot. We hadn't done one of these in years and it was a good time. We had a big group of new people with us and I made the mistake of bringing an untested/unproven XCR-M, and it was the only XCR I brought since I didn't know they'd be coming until the last minute, so they got a pretty bad impression of the company/product. I guess I thought that since the last two XCRs I bought (an L and an M in 2012) ran 100% out of the box that the quality issues were a thing of the past. Not so apparently.

I'm getting a lot of failures to extract. Sometimes it requires a pogo to get out, sometimes just a tug on the charging handle. Most successful strings of fire were 2-3 rounds at most....lots of single shots. I got a few 5-6 round runs....and I thought maybe I just needed to break it in more (and that may still be the case). To be fair, I was running Wolf ammo, just b/c I knew I wasn't doing any accuracy testing so why waste better grade ammo. It's just severely undergassed. I need to do some more testing with my fullsize M and this ammo and/or another .308 platform like my POF P-308, but as far as the 16" M throws Wolf, I'd be shocked if the ammo's the issue. Additionally, I need to run some mil-surp and better quality brass cased and see if that's the issue. Again, based on my experience with this sort of issue in this platform, it's extremely unlikely to be fixed by changing the ammo until the 200 round "break in" is complete. I ran 95 rounds last night before I got bored with it acting like a bolt gun.

Got it home and tore it apart. Gas dial has REALLY small holes in it. Haven't taken it to work to find the sizes via calibrated gauge pins yet, but that'll happen Monday. I'm going to pull the gas block and check the port sizes in the block and bbl to see where they're at.

I've got one other Type 3 block/dial on a X39 9" bbl gun. I'll pull it to see what kind of differences there are. I'm honestly wondering if RA sent the wrong dial since the holes are so small.

A side note: (not sure what it means yet).....I was pleasantly surprised with the recoil with .308 and a 2 port brake. Now, that may be simply b/c the gun is undergassed or the ammo is super weak (perhaps causing the problem) or a combination thereof. It may get a lot worse once I get this thing running, but for now, with the brace and the 2 port brake....no issues with a SBR length bbl on this "pistol" while running the brace. It felt plenty comfortable.

Another side note: A2 flash hiders are pretty damn good. Friend was running one on his mini Draco AK with a 7 7/8" bbl....every once in a while on a really fast string you might get a larger flash, but compared to my Manticore Arms Night Brake on a 10.5" Yugo M92, it was completely blacked out. The M92/Night Brake combo set off huge fire balls a good 2-3 feet in diameter from behind the gun. Crazy big...but fun to look at. Would not want to use this at night in a "tactical" situation though. Ammo in both was Golden Tiger FMJ (I think it's 122 gr.).

The RA brake had a decent fireball too in .308 with a 12" bbl, but it was more manageable in that you could still make out the target when firing in rapid succession whereas the M92/NB was point and dump 3 round bursts b/c you couldn't see due to the size/brightness of the fireball until you paused for a split second to reacquire the target in the sight picture.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear. I've not shot the M with a type 3 and don't have any other examples to compare. Lack of QC on hole size/location wouldn't surprise me based on what I've seen for the new(and old) dials. The type 2 M I've got is definitely NOT undergassed. It flings the brass. The type 2 is finnicky. It'll fling the brass 30'+ but it'll start short stroking as the gas goes down, before you get a better ejection pattern. I was hoping the Type 3 would alleviate some of that. Your current dial may be worth holding onto for suppressed shooting.

Sean: how's your eye, btw? all healed up I hope.
    Carpenter likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Sorry to hear. I've not shot the M with a type 3 and don't have any other examples to compare. Lack of QC on hole size/location wouldn't surprise me based on what I've seen for the new(and old) dials. The type 2 M I've got is definitely NOT undergassed. It flings the brass. The type 2 is finnicky. It'll fling the brass 30'+ but it'll start short stroking as the gas goes down, before you get a better ejection pattern. I was hoping the Type 3 would alleviate some of that. Your current dial may be worth holding onto for suppressed shooting.
    Ya, my Type 2 is overgassed from what I can tell. 40' plus ejection is not uncommon on the higher settings.

The current dial might be worth holding onto, but....I don't have a spare one at this point, so I may end up opening up the higher number port(s) to get it to run reliably. Hole location was the first thing I checked....those seem 90º to the hash mark on the left side of the gun as they should be...just don't seem to be very big compared to my Type 1 blocks for the -Ls. Not sure that's a valid comparison though so more research is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Sean: how's your eye, btw? all healed up I hope.
    Permanent degradation....but at least I can see at all. I'm grateful for that. My distance vision in that eye now is pretty poor whereas before it was 20/20 or better. Up close is fine at this point....but it's just not "clear". Things are a bit "fuzzy" if you will.

Thanks for asking.

I would think it has to be the wrong dial. Check out this pic.

My x39 dial on the left; .308 dial on the right. Largest holes (position 6 & 7 showing).

One Of a Kind XCR-M-cam00555.jpg

I don't see how the X39 dial's holes could be that much larger even if the end of that bbl is closer to the bbl port.

Hmm...now that I think about it....I could just swap dials for a short test run. Damn...I wish I could shoot off my back porch.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 07-01-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Wonder if you got a 5.56 dial. I'm ignorant but will the x39 dial fit in the M gas block?

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Wonder if you got a 5.56 dial. I'm ignorant but will the x39 dial fit in the M gas block?
    Ya, they look to be the same size.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors