One Of a Kind XCR-M - Page 7
Like Tree23Likes
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: One Of a Kind XCR-M

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Sean, can you give me the quick and dirty on why you wanted the mini gas system over the micro?

I'm getting my brother a rifle and he's a pretty big kid, had been thinking about a 556 but after taking a good long look at what you've got going on here thinking a step up might be in order.
    I wanted the longest handguard I could get with a 12" bbl, but still have the buried gas block. Why? Looks mostly. Nice to have the added rail length and sight radius. With .308, 12" is about as short as I wanted to go (though the 9.5" does look bad ass....just not sure it's all the practical). So, to answer your question, I went mini length b/c I knew the gas block/dial would end up where I needed it to to be able to get to it to adjust the gas (though I knew I'd have to cut the upper to make it work) and still be even with the end of the handguard or slightly under it.

I'm generally against micro configs in any gun just b/c the reliability is generally lower and the recoil impulse is often times sharper as well as the impact to the parts being greater meaning more wear and tear on the gun. I'm not sure that all applies to XCRs though....most of that is a hold over from ARs where a carbine gas length is less optimal compared to a mid or rifle length gas system for the aforementioned reasons. I don't think it's a direct comparison though....especially in light of recoil rod weight/piston differences...so take that opinion with a grain of salt.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I wanted the longest handguard I could get with a 12" bbl, but still have the buried gas block. Why? Looks mostly. Nice to have the added rail length and sight radius. With .308, 12" is about as short as I wanted to go (though the 9.5" does look bad ass....just not sure it's all the practical). So, to answer your question, I went mini length b/c I knew the gas block/dial would end up where I needed it to to be able to get to it to adjust the gas (though I knew I'd have to cut the upper to make it work) and still be even with the end of the handguard or slightly under it.

I'm generally against micro configs in any gun just b/c the reliability is generally lower and the recoil impulse is often times sharper as well as the impact to the parts being greater meaning more wear and tear on the gun. I'm not sure that all applies to XCRs though....most of that is a hold over from ARs where a carbine gas length is less optimal compared to a mid or rifle length gas system for the aforementioned reasons. I don't think it's a direct comparison though....especially in light of recoil rod weight/piston differences...so take that opinion with a grain of salt.
    I hear ya, on both accounts.

I had a very recent conversation with a buddy explaining that (when asked about long term durability) we really don't know. We had the rash of failed welds and some QC issues but as far as knowing what fails at the point of design expiration....the whens and whys? We're really shooting in the dark. We just don't have the established parts life the AR tribe has cataloged, except to know that they are greater (some significantly so).
    Last edited by TexasChris; 01-03-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    I hear ya, on both accounts.

I had a very recent conversation with a buddy explaining that (when asked about long term durability) we really don't know. We had the rash of failed welds and some QC issues but as far as knowing what fails at the point of design expiration....the whens and whys? We're really shooting in the dark. We just don't have the established parts life the AR tribe has cataloged, except to know that they are greater (some significantly so).
    We really should try to engage more Canadian customers here.

I imagine since the XCR is one of the most popular unrestricted rifles up there that they could have some good data points to share on that subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean K. and TexasChris like this.
    Light is fast ... fast is good

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Long story, but ended up buying a POF-USA 12" P308 Edge "pistol". It was advertised as weighing in at 7.4 lbs empty. I thought...hmmm...lighter than my XCR-M by a full pound. With an optic, it will be like shooting the 12" -M without one which is noticeably lighter and more enjoyable. It was $700 off b/c they are being phased out so I bought one.

https://www.cflgunandtactical.com/PO...ck-p/01471.htm

Well, weighed it today. 8 lbs. 9.something ounces. The XCR-M 12"....8 lbs 6.something ounces.

Disappointed right now. Not sure how manufacturers can be that off on the stats.

Funny thing is, this model is discontinued in favor of the Revolution AR15 sized receivers (which are considerably lighter....I have the DI 16.5" .308 version and it clocks in at 6.85 lbs as advertised) and the specs for the P308 Edge pistols are now gone as well.

Just a word of warning if anyone is looking to pick up a "light" Edge .308 from POF.

The POF website (bottom of the page) claims the 16.5" version of the 308 Edge is 8.37 lbs. No freakin' way.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/p308-edge/
    Last edited by Sean K.; 12-11-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Sponsors