Like Tree29Likes
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Something this way comes....

Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Awesome!!!!!
    BIG +1

Just tell me where to send the money LOL
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Question: you are planning a stamped steel insert (or similar) for the mag well, right? Aluminum ones haven't fared well in past iterations on other models for rock in mags.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Question: you are planning a stamped steel insert (or similar) for the mag well, right? Aluminum ones haven't fared well in past iterations on other models for rock in mags.

Currently I’m only building it to work with magpul mags so I don’t see it being an issue. If I ever get to the point of producing them for others, I’ll buy more mags of different types to make sure the fit and function remains and at that point I would probably make a simple lip system out of 304/316 which can be installed after ano and such.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Ya, a production version will require a steel insert. What generally happens is a company says you can only use polymer mags (which really limits the potential market anyway) and someone puts steel ones in it anyway, the magwell fails and then the interwebz are ablaze with stories of what a crap product the company makes even though technically it's the customer's fault.

The big thing is Magpul in its infinite wisdom has not seen fit to make a follower with a BHO feature, claiming that's not how an AK is supposed to be run...whatever that means. IME, having run with and without the BHO follower, it's a huge advantage...so much so that I run them exclusively now.

JMO of course and I know a lot of other AK guys feel the same way.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

OMG. Shut up and take my money.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Ya, a production version will require a steel insert. What generally happens is a company says you can only use polymer mags (which really limits the potential market anyway) and someone puts steel ones in it anyway, the magwell fails and then the interwebz are ablaze with stories of what a crap product the company makes even though technically it's the customer's fault.

The big thing is Magpul in its infinite wisdom has not seen fit to make a follower with a BHO feature, claiming that's not how an AK is supposed to be run...whatever that means. IME, having run with and without the BHO follower, it's a huge advantage...so much so that I run them exclusively now.

I’d love a bolt hold open on both of my AKs. What mags have them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Yeah, if I produce these I will overbuild it to try and prevent stupid failures like that. The nice thing about my BHO design is that it will/should work with any AK magazine whether it has the BHO follower or not, it uses a radically different idea to tell the gun whether to lock open or not. It also will lock the bolt back even if the magazine is removed so it will be more like a modern rifle BHO in that regards.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
    I’d love a bolt hold open on both of my AKs. What mags have them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yugo mags.

You can get the Weapon Tech followers for just about any steel mag. Be aware...it just tells you the gun has run dry. It does NOT keep the bolt back once you remove the mag. You still have to rack it to load the 1st round out of the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    Yeah, if I produce these I will overbuild it to try and prevent stupid failures like that. The nice thing about my BHO design is that it will/should work with any AK magazine whether it has the BHO follower or not, it uses a radically different idea to tell the gun whether to lock open or not. It also will lock the bolt back even if the magazine is removed so it will be more like a modern rifle BHO in that regards.
    Sounds perfect. Again, if you haven't looked at one, get a hold of a VZ58 and check out its BHO set up. It's really simple and holds open once the mag is removed.

Dumb me but this will accommodate our XCR uppers for 7.62x39? Not really too concerned with having a BHO feature but it would be nice.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors