Something this way comes.... - Page 4
Like Tree36Likes
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Something this way comes....

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    I'm familiar with them, but I wasn't ever very impressed with the system, it adds a lot of complexity, weight, and pain in the ass that is unwanted. I have toyed with the idea of making an insert to accept STANAG magazines but that would be way down the road after I get this system working. Added the extra pictures I took the other night but I had to use a different hosting sight so they look a little different.

Agreed. The Hydra was overly complicated and looked like failures waiting to happen.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I was not aware there were issues with the hydra. But in this instance I thought the interchangable magwell would allow us to modify existing xcr lowers to accept the ak mags. I might give some thought to CADing up something now that this project has started the wheels turning. Might be best to do as mentioned and use this new AK lower with an AR adapter. The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by rmw2018 View Post
    I was not aware there were issues with the hydra. But in this instance I thought the interchangable magwell would allow us to modify existing xcr lowers to accept the ak mags. I might give some thought to CADing up something now that this project has started the wheels turning. Might be best to do as mentioned and use this new AK lower with an AR adapter. The possibilities are endless.
    Yeah it would be easier from a machining standpoint to make the ak lower and then an adaptor to use normal ar mags because of the width of the ak mag

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rmw2018 View Post
    To be fair....I've not heard of Hydra failures. I merely meant it *looks* like a failure waiting to happen due to the added complexity and restructuring of the lower.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yeah it would be easier from a machining standpoint to make the ak lower and then an adaptor to use normal ar mags because of the width of the ak mag
    Also, that wouldn’t be too bad of an idea but because of the width of the AK mag you would have to chop off the entire magwell area to build your adaptors. I looked at it originally and decided it was beyond my machining capabilities and decided I’d rather have a whole different lower.

Also, that wouldn’t be too bad of an idea but because of the width of the AK mag you would have to chop off the entire magwell area to build your adaptors. I looked at it originally and decided it was beyond my machining capabilities and decided I’d rather have a whole different lower.
    Agreed. A different lower is the way to go on something like this.
    Merlin likes this.

Any updates? I am still saving my pennies.........Name:  Money_0031.gif
Views: 71
Size:  1.2 KB

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Any updates? I am still saving my pennies.........Name:  Money_0031.gif
Views: 71
Size:  1.2 KB

I had to get some weld repairs done when I drilled the trigger pin and safety selector holes I was half a diameter off. Once I get it back I should be able to finish it and start testing it out.
    Last edited by abran007; 09-03-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    Sean K., TexasChris and Merlin like this.

I hope I am not stepping over the line here. But when you get to the point where you would want some 3rd party Beta testing, I would like to humbly suggest/volunteer Nate and Sean. And maybe Chris if he is up to it.
    TexasChris likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I hope I am not stepping over the line here. But when you get to the point where you would want some 3rd party Beta testing, I would like to humbly suggest/volunteer Nate and Sean. And maybe Chris if he is up to it.
    Unfortunately we’re a ways away from that, I would need to get my FFL and manufacturing SOT and there is no way I’m cranking another one of these out on a manual mill. I’m planning to buy a house this winter/spring so then I can get the FFL but then I have to acquire a CNC and get code written to run lowers through the mill. I want it to happen faster, but reality is what it is. Once I’m to that point I’ll most likely be in touch with some key people though 😁

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsors