Something this way comes.... - Page 6
Like Tree29Likes
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Something this way comes....

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Any idea if it will work with ProMags? Yes, I know they're not popular. But, they are dirt cheap.
    No idea, I’d have to buy one to see. Next time I’m in the store I’ll look and see if they have any.

Any idea if it will work with ProMags? Yes, I know they're not popular. But, they are dirt cheap.
    They are generally considered very low reliability which is why they aren't popular. I'd skip them.

Magpul are fine...except no BHO. For an AK, I like the Yugos, but any good quality metal mag that will take the Weapon Tech BHO Followers is fine too....

I'm guessing abran007 has to run polymer since I doubt he's got a steel liner/lug in the XCR lower for the mag hinge point.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Magpul is what I have easy access to so that is what I've modeled the lower to. My understanding from reading is the Magpuls are a little fatter than most of the other mags out there so everything else "should" fit, given the price point and reliability of the Magpuls though I've never really seen the point in anything else. Being in the newly formed state of CaliF***** Colorado I don't have easy access to the cheap steel mags when they get imported so thats kinda my dilemma.

If I ever get to a production point on these lowers my plan was to have a formed SS sheath that would drop into place on the lower which would either be pinned or otherwise secured in place to eliminate any possible wear concerns from steel magazines.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    Magpul is what I have easy access to so that is what I've modeled the lower to. My understanding from reading is the Magpuls are a little fatter than most of the other mags out there so everything else "should" fit, given the price point and reliability of the Magpuls though I've never really seen the point in anything else. Being in the newly formed state of CaliF***** Colorado I don't have easy access to the cheap steel mags when they get imported so thats kinda my dilemma.

If I ever get to a production point on these lowers my plan was to have a formed SS sheath that would drop into place on the lower which would either be pinned or otherwise secured in place to eliminate any possible wear concerns from steel magazines.
    JFYI with my Palmetto State Armory AK-P, it came with a Magpul PMag 30 round.....and most of the Yugo BHO mags do not fit it. If they have the thicker spot welded tab on the back for the mag catch, they don't work.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    They are generally considered very low reliability which is why they aren't popular. I'd skip them.

Magpul are fine...except no BHO. For an AK, I like the Yugos, but any good quality metal mag that will take the Weapon Tech BHO Followers is fine too....

I'm guessing abran007 has to run polymer since I doubt he's got a steel liner/lug in the XCR lower for the mag hinge point.
    I did not have any problems with them when I owned a Izhmash Arsenal while in Nevada. And they were less than $10 each. If OP's lower doesn't work with them, no big deal. Just curious.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I did not have any problems with them when I owned a Izhmash Arsenal while in Nevada. And they were less than $10 each. If OP's lower doesn't work with them, no big deal. Just curious.

Hey fmunk if you can get some measurements with pictures I should be able to let you know whether they would fit or not. I'll PM you my cell # so you can just snap some pictures and text them to me.

SO I've been working on a few different things over the last few weeks, I've started getting the BHO plotted out and installed, I got some laser engraving done on the lower which turned out pretty good, and then I decided I wanted to see if I could keymod the bottom side of my upper....without a mill, lol I've already nicknamed this thing the KYBER XCR because of how much redneck engineering I've done to it so what the heck.

Sean K. likes this.

I got your PM this morning, I'll do some comparisons tonight when I get home and let you know what I find out~I won't say for sure until I actually grab some mags to try but I should know if it will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    I got your PM this morning, I'll do some comparisons tonight when I get home and let you know what I find out~I won't say for sure until I actually grab some mags to try but I should know if it will be close.
    Good luck! Are you a FFL looking to manufacture and market? I know cost would be high... musing alert... but how cool would it be to metal 3D print the lowers? or make them as reinforced polymer lowers to help with weight? Pending outcome of this I may still put my 5.56 lower up for sale and just keep the XCR as a dedicated "modern" AK. Caliber exchange capability is great and all it's just not all that convenient when it comes to optics/reticles.
    Last edited by fmunk; Yesterday at 07:34 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsors