Something this way comes.... - Page 9
Like Tree37Likes
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Something this way comes....

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    My recollection is hazy so don't quote me or assume what I remember is what Alex actually said and or meant. I talked to Alex around the time the type 3L was coming out. They had stopped offering the initial run of 5.45. My understanding was a chamber issue caused some mag blowouts. Alex mentioned one or two. He didn't mention any other specifics but commented about the civilian ammo spec changing somehow and that they were tweaking the chamber to get them going again. Shortly after that I ordered a 16" 5.45 type 3 competition upper for a customer that disappeared. I'm pretty sure that was the redesign. Not sure how much longer they offered them after that. When they pulled the listing off the web site I asked if they were going to offer them again and the only thing(multiple times) I was told was that they were still testing. I stopped asking after a year or so.

I'm guessing lack of interest is a big factor.

I've got 4 of the barrels. The 10 and a light 16 were ordered from the first offering. I kept the 16 heavy that should be a "new" chamber and I got a usef/ unfired 16 light off of GB. I'm just planning on shooting them until they fail. I've got spare bolts in type 1 and 2 so I figure I'm good for a bit.

I'm not an AK guy so correct me if I'm wrong but the 762 and 545 mags are different sizes, necessitating two different lowers. I'm not sure where the 556 AK mags fall dimension wise.
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, the chamber pressure on 5.45 is much higher than 7.62x39 and closer to that of 5.56 so I can see that might require re-engineering...especially if there's no real SAAMI spec adherence by Russia manufacturers.

Like I said earlier, what I remember about my Dad's AK in 5.56 is that the mag is much different than my X39 mags. I'm pretty sure they all use different openings in the stampings...I'd guess the shelf the front of the mags lock into are all the same since they are IIRC, part of the front trunnion, but I'm not sure there either.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    RA might seem to be obliged to make a lower for each and every AK mag caliber type.
    Seems swappable mag well or front half of the lower would be the way forward, like the MGI Hydra. But that never really caught on.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Seems swappable mag well or front half of the lower would be the way forward, like the MGI Hydra. But that never really caught on.
    Meh...Not a fan of the added complexity. Kind of like the folding bbls/bbl extensions for ARs coming out now.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Yup. Multi-caliber capability sounds good on paper, but probably not used/needed very often. Seen a lot of new for new-sake with ARs.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Yup. Multi-caliber capability sounds good on paper, but probably not used/needed very often. Seen a lot of new for new-sake with ARs.
    Theoretically I'd only need one xcr with some barrel conversions.

It has failed to work out that way.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Theoretically I'd only need one xcr with some barrel conversions.

It has failed to work out that way.

Well 2. M and L. But we all get the point, lol.

Just curious if there are any updates?

Like, has RA said anything about buying the design?

A friend and fellow XCR owner were talking about this today....if RA made an AK lower, we'd both buy one immediately....maybe a couple.
    I know, I know...probably a pipe dream.
    Hey Sean, sorry I've been out of state with work for the last few months and crazy busy since I got home. There hasn't really been any movement since my last post. I did finish out the lower that I built and the gun is completed. I have not heard anything from RobArms which doesn't surprise me. I am looking into getting my FFL this year but not sure how financially realistic it would be to get the FFL and then drop 5-7k on the mill I want to be able to manufacture things. Still a desire but other things are higher on my priority list.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    Hey Sean, sorry I've been out of state with work for the last few months and crazy busy since I got home. There hasn't really been any movement since my last post. I did finish out the lower that I built and the gun is completed. I have not heard anything from RobArms which doesn't surprise me. I am looking into getting my FFL this year but not sure how financially realistic it would be to get the FFL and then drop 5-7k on the mill I want to be able to manufacture things. Still a desire but other things are higher on my priority list.
    Man I hear you....

The cost of a good mill is ridiculous. I can't find a good quality/name brand used one that isn't beat here. A new one will be 11K with a power feed and doesn't even include the DRO IIRC.

Good luck with everything....you did a great job on the lower.

Man I hear you....

The cost of a good mill is ridiculous. I can't find a good quality/name brand used one that isn't beat here. A new one will be 11K with a power feed and doesn't even include the DRO IIRC.

Good luck with everything....you did a great job on the lower.
    Check out the Precision Mathews machines. They’re foreign made but pretty high quality with damn good bang for the buck. My dream setup is one of their middle sizes with a full cnc setup

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    Check out the Precision Mathews machines. They’re foreign made but pretty high quality with damn good bang for the buck. My dream setup is one of their middle sizes with a full cnc setup
    I have....they are rated as pretty good for the money. I think the model I was looking at from them was about $9K. I want a Sharp since it's basically a beefed Bridgeport that can even interchange some of the parts. Not against thePM at all....but have some experience with Sharps and they are really good quality.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Sponsors