Something this way comes....
Like Tree29Likes
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Something this way comes....

  1. #1
    Newbie abran007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mile High City
    Posts
    39

    Something this way comes....

    Technical difficulties have struck and my pictures aren't linking... lol give me a few to figure it out

    So I used to post under the screen name of stonersr26 but when the whole re-structuring of the site happened I got locked out of that account and couldn't ever get back into it. One of the last things I talked about doing for custom work was a new lower, well after a lot longer than it should have taken but Life Happens, here are a few progress pictures of what I've been doing the last few months in my off time.

    The normal lower we are all familiar with
    Something this way comes....-img_1084.jpg

    A raw piece of 6061 Aluminum
    Something this way comes....-11tby4g.jpg


    After a few shavings of aluminum have come off

    Something this way comes....-20sgfux.jpg
    Starting to take shape

    Something this way comes....-2v3sewx.jpg
    and getting just a little closer to going bang


    Something this way comes....-3005svl.jpg
    LMK what you guys think.
    Last edited by abran007; 07-03-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Merlin likes this.

  2. #2
    XCR Guru TexasChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    ...please....dear sweet jesus please tell me this is a rock and lock lower.....
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

  3. #3
    XCR Guru TexasChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    if it is....I'm in. Just tell me where to send the money.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,249
    That's what he was talking about before the forum crash. I think you're going to need 7075 though....but I'm sure this is just the test run so 6061 should be fine.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #5
    Marksman TTEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    418
    Oh hell yea. I hope it works out. Very excited to see the rest of the project. Keep us updated please.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

  7. #6
    Newbie abran007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mile High City
    Posts
    39
    This is most definitely just a test run to see if I can get everything to work smoothly and do an endurance run on 6061. It's taking me longer than I would like as I'm incorporating a lot of design features that do not come on a standard AK lower and trying to get it to work with the XCR which wasn't too bad but did require some modifications to the upper. I originally wanted to make it take ar-15 triggers, but I would have needed to make the lower 0.250-.0400" taller and I like how short the XCR lower is so I decided to stick with the XCR set up, I've got my old Gen 1 Trigger set back and even though its a little heavier than I would prefer after I made my modifications it is smooth as silk and I can bump fire it from the should while aiming and get decent bursts all while remaining a legal trigger of one firing action per pull. The biggest challenge is going to be my BHO design to work with the lower which my Dad and I designed one night while playing London Rummy at a family get together, if I can get that to work then I'll be tickled as a pig in slop.

    I'd need to get a CNC set up before I'd consider doing this for other people, doing it on a small manual machine requires so many different set ups there is no physical way I could turn these out on a regular basis and make a profit. I'd rather get the kinks worked out and sell the rights to someone, "wink wink Alex" and let them handle the manufacturing. If that avenue proves to be a dead end, than I probably will get a fully set up medium size mill and get my FFL manufactures license.

  8. #7
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,249
    Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    This is most definitely just a test run to see if I can get everything to work smoothly and do an endurance run on 6061. It's taking me longer than I would like as I'm incorporating a lot of design features that do not come on a standard AK lower and trying to get it to work with the XCR which wasn't too bad but did require some modifications to the upper. I originally wanted to make it take ar-15 triggers, but I would have needed to make the lower 0.250-.0400" taller and I like how short the XCR lower is so I decided to stick with the XCR set up, I've got my old Gen 1 Trigger set back and even though its a little heavier than I would prefer after I made my modifications it is smooth as silk and I can bump fire it from the should while aiming and get decent bursts all while remaining a legal trigger of one firing action per pull. The biggest challenge is going to be my BHO design to work with the lower which my Dad and I designed one night while playing London Rummy at a family get together, if I can get that to work then I'll be tickled as a pig in slop.

    I'd need to get a CNC set up before I'd consider doing this for other people, doing it on a small manual machine requires so many different set ups there is no physical way I could turn these out on a regular basis and make a profit. I'd rather get the kinks worked out and sell the rights to someone, "wink wink Alex" and let them handle the manufacturing. If that avenue proves to be a dead end, than I probably will get a fully set up medium size mill and get my FFL manufactures license.
    In spite of an obvious market for this, I doubt Alex will buy the rights. He's said repeatedly he has no interest in the rock in mags. Personally, if the Massada/ACR had actually come out with the X39 AK lower, I'd own one now. I don't think RA/Alex really get the draw unfortunately.

    Having run a fair amount of manual milling jobs, I totally get where you're coming from on it not being worth your time to do these for anyone else manually. Manual machines are great for prototyping, but take so much freaking time that you can't cost effectively do actual production runs.

    Keep us in the loop. I'm excited to see this. It's a concept that is overdue for the platform. Good luck and great job so far!
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  9. #8
    Newbie abran007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mile High City
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    In spite of an obvious market for this, I doubt Alex will buy the rights. He's said repeatedly he has no interest in the rock in mags. Personally, if the Massada/ACR had actually come out with the X39 AK lower, I'd own one now. I don't think RA/Alex really get the draw unfortunately.

    Having run a fair amount of manual milling jobs, I totally get where you're coming from on it not being worth your time to do these for anyone else manually. Manual machines are great for prototyping, but take so much freaking time that you can't cost effectively do actual production runs.

    Keep us in the loop. I'm excited to see this. It's a concept that is overdue for the platform. Good luck and great job so far!
    I’ve read Alex’s post and I think it was more that he didn’t want to lose the BHO with the AK mags. I could have misinterpreted his post but that post was part of the reason I started brainstorming about a BHO that works like it should with AK mags. It took a little outside the box thinking and some crazy enginuity from my Dad but on paper it works. I just need to see if I can put paper into reality and get it to work reliabily.
    Sean K. likes this.

  10. #9
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,225
    Awesome!!!!!

  11. #10
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,249
    Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    I’ve read Alex’s post and I think it was more that he didn’t want to lose the BHO with the AK mags. I could have misinterpreted his post but that post was part of the reason I started brainstorming about a BHO that works like it should with AK mags. It took a little outside the box thinking and some crazy enginuity from my Dad but on paper it works. I just need to see if I can put paper into reality and get it to work reliabily.
    My understanding is that it's too "slow" to reload a rock in....and I'm sure the BHO is part of that problem. Personally, I see it as a non-issue with proper training, BUT....I do run Yugo mags or ones with the BHO followers from WeaponTech to let me know when an AK has run dry. The VZ58's BHO system could probably be integrated to the XCR AK lower. Might be worth a look to see if you could steal anything and incorporate it into your dad's design. It's stupid simple.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. If you see something, Film something!
    By Difranco in forum Politicking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 10:16 AM
  2. here it comes...
    By JonwoN in forum Politicking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 01:21 PM
  4. what comes with conversion
    By WRECKEDCARS in forum 7.62x39mm
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM