This monster of a 6,000+ acre fire...
Like Tree14Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This monster of a 6,000+ acre fire...

This monster of a 6,000+ acre fire...

Is 16 miles from my home.

And started by one deranged man.

During the day, it looks like a vulcano. At night, the mountain top looks like Mt. Doom in Lord of the Rings.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Damn bro.....we're pulling for ya here in Texas......

....is now a good time to buy fire insurance?
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Thank you, Chris. It's a good thing I'm not wealthy enough to live up in the mountains. I'm to the west and much closer to sea level. Air quality is pretty bad, but I'm relatively safe. Fire is burning east, towards some very expensive mountain side mcmansions and estates. This is just another reminder of how fleeting life and normalcy is. And how one person can do so much damage.
    Merlin, TexasChris and Sean K. like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

What’s crazy is that both of these large fires were STARTED by people looking to do harm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Stay safe...
    fmunk likes this.
    Behold, the internet.

Stay Safe!
    fmunk likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Thank you, Chris. It's a good thing I'm not wealthy enough to live up in the mountains. I'm to the west and much closer to sea level. Air quality is pretty bad, but I'm relatively safe. Fire is burning east, towards some very expensive mountain side mcmansions and estates. This is just another reminder of how fleeting life and normalcy is. And how one person can do so much damage.
    Bro, if shit gets too stupid just LMK. Get you a little Texas care package worked up. Till then lets just hope the winds of both fortune and California continue to blow in your favor.
    fmunk and Sean K. like this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Thank you all. I'm in little to no danger. As of today, the fire has consumed 17,000 acres. The burnt area was a favorite spot for 4x4 enthusiasts and mountain bikers. Firefighters and air tankers have been battling the fire day and night. They are the heroes. And the tanker pilots? those guys have large cajones. Difficult terrain and visibility is quite bad.

In this video posted on Twitter (https://twitter.com/itsSelenie_Duhh/...26autosize%3D1) you'll see a small lead plane marking retardant drop spots for the tanker that follows it. They also have at least one OV-10 Bronco in their fleet pulling mark duty.

It's been a crazy summer so far. On 7/3 the office closed early because of the 4th. A coworker took back streets to get home due to traffic on the freeways and was killed in a head-on collision. We didn't find out until 7/5. She is survived by her husband and a 4 year old son. Two weeks later I was rear ended on the freeway. Then just this past Sunday, a Cessna carrying 4 passengers crashed (straight down) into a crowded Staples parking lot a block from my office. Miraculously no one on the ground was hurt, but all 5 onboard were killed—https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plane-c...-fall-victims/. I walked by the spot yesterday to pay tribute to the make-shift memorial. There is a kiddie pool sized crater in the ground. Hazmat crews were still working the site.
    Last edited by fmunk; 08-10-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    TexasChris and Merlin like this.

Better not be leaving the house without your helmet bro! dayum!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Better not be leaving the house without your helmet bro! dayum!
    Yeah seriously. The phrase "when your number is up, it's up" keeps coming to mind.
    TexasChris likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors