GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M

Quote Originally Posted by FF05 View Post
    Does anyone here have a new model 'M' ie, manufactured in the last 12 months or so? Looking for some 'real' feedback on accuracy and reliability with hunting type ammo.

My 'M' (an early model) is not capable of sub 2.5" MOA, 3 shot groups at 100m. It groups anywhere between 2.5" - 5" and continuously fails to feed soft piont and hollow piont ammo.

I purchased this rifle for professional aerial shooting, if they can't reliably feed hunting ammo I'll sell it and move on.

Did you try various ammo with the same result? or are we just talking about one specific ammo? Some rifles/barrels are more selective than others.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I tried various factory ammo, even Lapua 155gr produced a 5.8" 5 shot group...

Fearing the XCR-M might have killed my optic (like FN SCARs apparently do), i tried 2 other high end scopes with the same results.

While match ammo, HPBT, and FMJ all cycled flawlessly they still performed bad averaging 4" 3 shot groups.
    More importantly to my profession, just about every factory hunting style ammo, (bar 2 brands) repeatedly failed to feed. Unfortunately this is a work gun, i don't have the luxury of choosing what ammo i shoot. It's usually supplied bulk of whatever brand, if the XCR-M design can't handle hunting ammo it's useless to me.

I've spoken to the Australian XCR importer today via txt, as he's at SHOT show. He said he would talk to Alex and see what can be done. I don't like my chances getting anything in or out with the Australian Iron Curtain...

Fearing the XCR-M might have killed my optic (like FN SCARs apparently do), i tried 2 other high end scopes with the same results.

While match ammo, HPBT, and FMJ all cycled flawlessly they still performed bad averaging 4" 3 shot groups.
    More importantly to my profession, just about every factory hunting style ammo, (bar 2 brands) repeatedly failed to feed. Unfortunately this is a work gun, i don't have the luxury of choosing what ammo i shoot. It's usually supplied bulk of whatever brand, if the XCR-M design can't handle hunting ammo it's useless to me.

I've spoken to the Australian XCR importer today via txt, as he's at SHOT show. He said he would talk to Alex and see what can be done. I don't like my chances getting anything in or out with the Australian Iron Curtain...
    Have you looked for chatter in your bbl grooves? Sounds like a bad bbl.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Wow! That sucks!
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Have you looked for chatter in your bbl grooves? Sounds like a bad bbl.
    The barrel visually looks fine.

The Australian Robinson dealer got back to me after his SHOT show visit. He started with saying Alex didn't want any bad PR with his products, etc. Then claimed he didn't import my XCR-M and couldn't do anything for me, but sell me another complete upper.
    So i payed US$3800 for the gun, buy another upper ( I'm guessing $2000), then what do i do with the original upper??? throw it in the bin?.
    Funny, he said he remembered my XCR-M 6 months ago (when i originally bought it) and said I'd have 'full Robinson customer support'. Different story now....

My main issue with it is it's failure to feed/jam hunting type ammo, the rifle is useless to me. It's a shame, i really, really liked the design. Pitty i ended up with a lemon with no customer support.

I have the XCR-M for sale now as i want to be rid of it. I've since brought a PWS Mk220 308 Match, which is very accurate and reliable.

This is where i walk away from Robinson and never go back.
    I'd like to thank everyone on the Forum for their support, recommendations and suggestions, etc. it's been greatly appreciated.

The barrel visually looks fine.

The Australian Robinson dealer got back to me after his SHOT show visit. He started with saying Alex didn't want any bad PR with his products, etc. Then claimed he didn't import my XCR-M and couldn't do anything for me, but sell me another complete upper.
    So i payed US$3800 for the gun, buy another upper ( I'm guessing $2000), then what do i do with the original upper??? throw it in the bin?.
    Funny, he said he remembered my XCR-M 6 months ago (when i originally bought it) and said I'd have 'full Robinson customer support'. Different story now....

My main issue with it is it's failure to feed/jam hunting type ammo, the rifle is useless to me. It's a shame, i really, really liked the design. Pitty i ended up with a lemon with no customer support.

I have the XCR-M for sale now as i want to be rid of it. I've since brought a PWS Mk220 308 Match, which is very accurate and reliable.

This is where i walk away from Robinson and never go back.
    I'd like to thank everyone on the Forum for their support, recommendations and suggestions, etc. it's been greatly appreciated.

I certainly don't blame you for selling at this point. The problem, from what you're saying, isn't RA as much as it sounds like your importer coupled with your government's laws.

Do you have any competent gun smiths in OZ anymore or now that firearms are heavily restricted has the knowledge been lost? Sounds like you need the feed lips on the extension modified to run the soft point ammo you want to run....and an email to tech support at RA explaining your situation and asking what they do on the latest XCR-Ms to make them feed soft point ammo could clarify since you can't just send it in like they would normally suggest. My first gen -M (from around 2012 IIRC) doesn't like soft point .308 either, but I don't run it enough to be concerned. My latest M runs it...but it was made last year. I would guess that while you bought it last year, it may be pretty old. Do you have a S/N on it that you'd be willing to share?

You are also having accuracy issues....if the lands/grooves look okay, I'd wonder about the crown of the bbl. What's your gas set at? Type 2 or 3 gas system?

I would think that you're going to lose your butt on a gun that isn't accurate and won't feed hunting ammo reliably. It might make more sense to try and fix it....but then throwing good money after bad doesn't make sense either unless there's a reasonable suspicion that it can actually be fixed.

Oh....and why would you need a new upper? Sounds like the issues you are having should be cured by a new bbl alone. In US dollars....you're looking at something like $550 on the high side. I'm sure that would translate to twice that price by the time it got to OZ, but that still half of the $2K.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yes Sean, this Country's gun laws and red tape regarding importation of parts is f#cked... I'd say he RA dealer doesn't want to lift a finger because he won't profit enough to make it worth his while.

Gunsmithing in this country is a dying trade, and the handful of them wouldn't have the knowledge of gas guns anyway.

SN: XMA0800

I'd say it's and early gas block, seems to function fine on the 2nd lowest setting (i troubleshooted and tried them all).

I'm not going to throw anymore money into trying to fix this gun.
    Yes, i believe a barrel/gas block replacement would fix the problem, but again the Dealer doesn't want a part of it.

Unfortunately I'm restricted to 2 semi-auto rifles, so it can't possess the XCR-M with the new PWS taking its place. It's now for sale at a local gunshop, where I'll probably stuggle to sell it at a loss.

Sh#t happens... lesson learnt.

Anyway, thanks again Sean.

Yes Sean, this Country's gun laws and red tape regarding importation of parts is f#cked... I'd say he RA dealer doesn't want to lift a finger because he won't profit enough to make it worth his while.

Gunsmithing in this country is a dying trade, and the handful of them wouldn't have the knowledge of gas guns anyway.

SN: XMA0800

I'd say it's and early gas block, seems to function fine on the 2nd lowest setting (i troubleshooted and tried them all).

I'm not going to throw anymore money into trying to fix this gun.
    Yes, i believe a barrel/gas block replacement would fix the problem, but again the Dealer doesn't want a part of it.

Unfortunately I'm restricted to 2 semi-auto rifles, so it can't possess the XCR-M with the new PWS taking its place. It's now for sale at a local gunshop, where I'll probably stuggle to sell it at a loss.

Sh#t happens... lesson learnt.

Anyway, thanks again Sean.
    Shit brother....sorry to hear that. XMA0800 is pretty old. My first one was under the first 100; XMA00##. My 2nd one from last year is XMA51##; roughly 5K units later.

Sounds like the importer is a real piece of shit.

GLWS.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 02-04-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors