GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M
Like Tree1Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M

GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M

A nice example of a -M for sure. But, is every single example just accurate? I think navalbeaver has personal experience to demonstrate the contrary. Also, calling it a "SCAR-killer" is going a bit too far. And using data points from expensive LaPua match ammo out of a 18" barrel isn't exactly fair. The SCAR-H is 16", shoots sub-moa with run-of-the-mill ammo. Remanufactured ammo even. Overall package is also lighter. IIRC, the SCAR's barrel is CHF. What is the -M's?

It's a nice rifle, but it's no "SCAR-killer". Not until RA sorts out the QC and after-sale support issues—that have been beaten to death in other threads.
    Last edited by fmunk; 09-29-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M-20180929_112103.jpg

200 yard sight in before a match.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

20171016_133940.jpg

Another one .308 100 yr 4 shots

GAT Daily Review of the XCR-M-20171021_120222.jpg

Between 300 and 400 yards

I've had 3-4 shot groups similar to your pics with my M but they were opened up significantly with one more round and/or it wasn't repeatable with the next string of 5. My (capital MY) M hasn't been consistent enough that I'm looking to try it in 260 or 6.5. If I was confident it would be a MOAish gun, I'd have another upper at least, if not a complete M. I like my M in .308 but it's a "battle" rifle with a 1-4x now.

If RA can swamp multiple gun rags/blogs with some good press maybe they can build some interest. Decent write up but I've never heard of this guy before. I chuckled about the "newer kid in the block" line. It looks like he got a good example. Hopefully he will spread the word

Depending on the load, some powders are not capable of 5+ round groups as they begin to get large velocity deviations. Good case in point. One load that I use to hunt with will throw 3 or 4 in the sa.e hole. Number 5 usually flys 3/4" - 1" high. It is a load that uses ball powder. The chronograph tell the tale. Rounds 1& 2 come in at 2622 and 2647 3 and 4 jump to 2680 and 2715. Round 5 usually jumps to 2780 ish. No fault of the gun. I do agree that with stable loads you should be able to pull off great groups. Another issue, heat. Once the barrel heats up, POA/POI will shift. My Proof barreled 7 mag does that. Much depends on the round and the load used. In this case a shorter barrel is desired as it will move less.

Quote Originally Posted by owtlaw View Post
    Depending on the load, some powders are not capable of 5+ round groups as they begin to get large velocity deviations. Good case in point. One load that I use to hunt with will throw 3 or 4 in the sa.e hole. Number 5 usually flys 3/4" - 1" high. It is a load that uses ball powder. The chronograph tell the tale. Rounds 1& 2 come in at 2622 and 2647 3 and 4 jump to 2680 and 2715. Round 5 usually jumps to 2780 ish. No fault of the gun. I do agree that with stable loads you should be able to pull off great groups. Another issue, heat. Once the barrel heats up, POA/POI will shift. My Proof barreled 7 mag does that. Much depends on the round and the load used. In this case a shorter barrel is desired as it will move less.
    Good to know. I(capital I) use 5rd groups. It's not scientific and I'm aware that with more rounds the groups tend to open up. I've shot multiple ARs that I've assembled and I've shot several out of the box Rem 700s(they seem to have a bad rap lately but my examples have been fine) that have been solidly and easily sub MOA with a couple different loads with 5 rd strings over a relatively short time. My previous example about the M rarely had the last round be the round that ruined the group. It was one or more rounds in a string that would ruin it. I've had 3 on top of each other with the other 2 way off the group. I shot one string that was grouping sub MOA but it was doing it in alternating groups approx 2 inches apart(that one was more than 5 rds because I wanted to see if it'd keep doing it). I've got a couple of rifles that I'm confident will group MOA or better when I take them to the range with "good" ammo. I haven't tried to wring out my M recently because it took luck/EFFORT to get a 1.25MOA group consistently. I wanted it to shoot well so bad that it was stressful to try and shoot precision.

God willing, when I've got the time, I'd love to load my own and find out what my M really likes.

Does anyone here have a new model 'M' ie, manufactured in the last 12 months or so? Looking for some 'real' feedback on accuracy and reliability with hunting type ammo.

My 'M' (an early model) is not capable of sub 2.5" MOA, 3 shot groups at 100m. It groups anywhere between 2.5" - 5" and continuously fails to feed soft piont and hollow piont ammo.

I purchased this rifle for professional aerial shooting, if they can't reliably feed hunting ammo I'll sell it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by FF05 View Post
    Does anyone here have a new model 'M' ie, manufactured in the last 12 months or so? Looking for some 'real' feedback on accuracy and reliability with hunting type ammo.

My 'M' (an early model) is not capable of sub 2.5" MOA, 3 shot groups at 100m. It groups anywhere between 2.5" - 5" and continuously fails to feed soft piont and hollow piont ammo.

I purchased this rifle for professional aerial shooting, if they can't reliably feed hunting ammo I'll sell it and move on.
    I had some issues with the polymer tips/soft point bullets getting chewed up. It wasn't bad enough that it wouldn't run them. I think some Winchester 150gr soft point actually gave me some of my better groups. I'm waiting on an upper and the type 3 gas setup to get my M back up and running. I've got a light 16" and a heavy 18" with the "m" chamber that I'll try again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors