Recall on operating rods? - Page 3
Like Tree6Likes
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recall on operating rods?

Fair point sig

Several people chimed in on the Canadian group saying they had an issue and RA warrantied the part ... hence my post.

I would just like to know if there was indeed an issue, what it was, was it fixed, and what rifles were affected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Merlin likes this.
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
    Fair point sig

Several people chimed in on the Canadian group saying they had an issue and RA warrantied the part ... hence my post.

I would just like to know if there was indeed an issue, what it was, was it fixed, and what rifles were affected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If 3 or more people had their op rods cracked in a realtively short time frame of each other, and that timeframe is noted online, didn't anyone give out their serial numbers of the rifles where the op rods broke?

My two remaining XCR rifles probably have about 8k through them both without a issue, serial's in the mid 7k and 8k range. The others I've traded or sold never had a problem with an op rod, serials in the 4 through 7k range.

I don't know, but did the op rod change per the "generation update"? (at this point if something wasn't broke, not certain why RA would want to change it, but sure they had their reasons).

Just trying to stay away from the "sky is falling" mentality
    Sean K. likes this.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Oh for sure.

I’m more of the mind set of “is this an issue I need to be aware of” than “oh god the sky is falling”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    If 3 or more people had their op rods cracked in a realtively short time frame of each other, and that timeframe is noted online, didn't anyone give out their serial numbers of the rifles where the op rods broke?

My two remaining XCR rifles probably have about 8k through them both without a issue, serial's in the mid 7k and 8k range. The others I've traded or sold never had a problem with an op rod, serials in the 4 through 7k range.

I don't know, but did the op rod change per the "generation update"? (at this point if something wasn't broke, not certain why RA would want to change it, but sure they had their reasons).

Just trying to stay away from the "sky is falling" mentality
    Based on what I've seen, it would be hard to nail down SN range with any "good" accuracy. It seemed like a lot of the "updates" were phased in as the parts became available. RA doesn' build/ship their rifles in any particluar order that I've noticed. My latest lower from them is in the high 11k but I've got SNs from the low to mid 11k that showed up more than 2 years ago with some lower numbers coming in after that. I'd wager the guys that are assembling them at RA aren't taking not on when they're using what parts.

I've got several one piece(bad?) standard length op rods available if anyone's looking. I may have some used ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Based on what I've seen, it would be hard to nail down SN range with any "good" accuracy. It seemed like a lot of the "updates" were phased in as the parts became available. RA doesn' build/ship their rifles in any particluar order that I've noticed. My latest lower from them is in the high 11k but I've got SNs from the low to mid 11k that showed up more than 2 years ago with some lower numbers coming in after that. I'd wager the guys that are assembling them at RA aren't taking not on when they're using what parts.

I've got several one piece(bad?) standard length op rods available if anyone's looking. I may have some used ones as well.

Exactly. The SN build ranges are all over the place and are only good as a very basic guideline....but it's really the only way of telling in instances like this, regardless of how inaccurate it may be.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Right behind the eight ball, between the rock and the hard place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Does this mean I have 2 that needs replacing!?
    Not in my opinion. Consider: the early op rods are one long flexible tube with a short cup piston on the end. Later op rods are short with a long stiff steep piston. Asymmetric force flexes the op rods when cycled under gas pressure unless its stiff for most of its length in which case the flex is concentrated at the most flexible place remaining. IMHO to prevent this requires either: a. a limited movement joint at the piston to rod joint similar to Kalashnikov designs, b. a relief cut under the front of the op rods BCG lug or c. the earlier long tube design. I am not seeing any problems of this nature so far with the long tube design. I imagine there could have been some while I was away. If there were the root cause would more than likely be one of manufacture rather than design as the long tube is by it's nature under stressed and very resilient.
    Last edited by Whiskey three six; 11-12-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.
    No,,he's chaos, I'm mayhem,,,we're a duo act,,

always looking for M96 stuff

G2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Exactly. The SN build ranges are all over the place and are only good as a very basic guideline....but it's really the only way of telling in instances like this, regardless of how inaccurate it may be.
    That makes absolutely no fricken sense! WTF.... you live in the tower of babble!

Serial numbers only come into play if they apply Best Manufacturing Practices. Utilizing ISO Standards incorporating Traceability etc. Which RobArms doesn’t. So all this BS whining about serial numbers doesn’t mean SHIT!
    Last edited by G2; 11-22-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    That makes absolutely no fricken sense! WTF.... you live in the tower of babble!

Serial numbers only come into play if they apply Best Manufacturing Practices. Utilizing ISO Standards incorporating Traceability etc. Which RobArms doesn’t. So all this BS whining about serial numbers doesn’t mean SHIT!
    That's what we just said. Not sure why you're so upset by that which is out of your control.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors