ALIEN Pistol from Laugo Arms - Page 3
Like Tree10Likes
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALIEN Pistol from Laugo Arms

Just wait till the owners of Aliens movie franchise get a hold of this... They really need to understand copyright laws if they want to do business in the US. This is a far more blatant violation than the Arsenal Stryk B fiasco.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Just wait till the owners of Aliens movie franchise get a hold of this... They really need to understand copyright laws if they want to do business in the US. This is a far more blatant violation than the Arsenal Stryk B fiasco.
    That's a good point....

And the $5K price point is insane.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    I believe they understand copyright laws more than you do.

ALIENS the MOVIE Franchise pertains to a Science Fiction story starring "xenomorphs" - just because DISNEY holds the copyright to the STORY & Characters doesn't mean they hold the right to a COMMON PHRASE used COMPLETELY in a different context.

But maybe you are a patent lawyer and have an inside scoop on this.

Anywho - It is a pretty nifty weapon design, I hope it gets picked up by a large manufacturer and gets mass produced and drop a decimal point from that current price!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-D View Post

ALIENS the MOVIE Franchise pertains to a Science Fiction story starring "xenomorphs" - just because DISNEY holds the copyright to the STORY & Characters doesn't mean they hold the right to a COMMON PHRASE used COMPLETELY in a different context.

Anywho - It is a pretty nifty weapon design, I hope it gets picked up by a large manufacturer and gets mass produced and drop a decimal point from that current price!
    Lulz...and you don't think that distinctive Alien branded logo on his t-shirt which depicts the very "alien" from the movie franchise is protected by IP laws?
    Last edited by Sean K.; 09-20-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    G2 likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I work in advertising. Over 25 years, very close to 30. I deal with copyright issues all day long. What's YOUR expertise on the subject matter? Not only does the movie franchise have a case, so do the estate of H.R. Giger (who designed the Alien character).
    Last edited by fmunk; 09-21-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Wow. I didn’t mean to kick the hornets nest on this one!

I apologize for offending!

I don’t have ANY experience in advertising or trademark issues.

I am just saying that “ALIENS” is a COMMON phrase and can only be trademarked and copyrighted in regards to a specific arena: xenomorphs, & science fiction. Mr. Giger has his OWN patents & trademarks for his images & work.

Wearing a shirt with a branded logo associated WITH another product, I am sure a lawyer could pen a pretty nasty CEASE & DESIST letter, but suing for infringement & damages...

Another good case is the new SPRINGFIELD ARMORY “HELLCAT” pistol. I am sure that DODGE owns the trademark for the HELLCAT AUTOMOBILE, but NOT the common usage word or the naming of another completely different product.

Again, I apologize for any offense given, I just believe that a product naming and launch has done their due diligence in copyright infringement more so than the lay person’s interpretation.

~Will

Wow. I didn’t mean to kick the hornets nest on this one!

I apologize for offending!

I don’t have ANY experience in advertising or trademark issues.

I am just saying that “ALIENS” is a COMMON phrase and can only be trademarked and copyrighted in regards to a specific arena: xenomorphs, & science fiction. Mr. Giger has his OWN patents & trademarks for his images & work.

Wearing a shirt with a branded logo associated WITH another product, I am sure a lawyer could pen a pretty nasty CEASE & DESIST letter, but suing for infringement & damages...

Another good case is the new SPRINGFIELD ARMORY “HELLCAT” pistol. I am sure that DODGE owns the trademark for the HELLCAT AUTOMOBILE, but NOT the common usage word or the naming of another completely different product.

Again, I apologize for any offense given, I just believe that a product naming and launch has done their due diligence in copyright infringement more so than the lay person’s interpretation.

~Will
    Using that image probably won't be a problem unless they try to sell the ALIEN pistol here in the US (most likely) and continue its use....then we could be in for a repeat of the Arsenal Arms/Archon Stryke/Type B mess...which is what most here were referring to. If you're not familiar, look it up and it may make more sense.

I doubt the name alone will be enough to raise an issue....problem is, with the Guns America story out in the global media and the obvious intellectual property ramifications of linking the pistol to the movie, they could already be in trouble. At this point, if the movie franchise even knows about the story...they've likely already issued the C&D letter.

The word "Alien" or "Hellcat" is not patended. However, the significant distinction is that Springfield did not use the likeness of Dodge's Hellcat logo to promote their pistol. Had they attempted to do so, Springfield's own legal counsel would have stepped in to stop it. The Laugo Arms guy is using the likeness of the character form the movie franchise to promote his product for commercial purposes (and ultimately personal financial gain without an arrangement with Giger's estate or the movie franchise). He might have a leg to stand on if he was an artist/entertainer who is using someone elses' intellectual property in a parody. Had he used the stereotypical Rosewll/Area51 bug-eyed green dwarf, he would've been fine. But, what he did is a legal scenario he is not likely to win.

"Hellcat", not patented.

"Hellcat" logo/caricature, patented. Make and sell t-shirts with it, without permission from FCA, and let me how that goes for you.

Last edited by fmunk; 09-28-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    Sean K. likes this.

Can you patent a logo? Or do you have to copyright? I'm not sure just curious. And do you have to copy right/patent in every country?
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Can you patent a logo? Or do you have to copyright? I'm not sure just curious. And do you have to copy right/patent in every country?
    You definitely have to do it by country unless there's an international agreement between member nations. Copyright/Patent obviously aren't the same thing, but the terms are often used interchangeably as a means of protecting IP.

This discussion *seemed* to be centered around what happens if Laugo comes to the US.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors