Great Experience with RobArm and Holly - Page 3
Like Tree19Likes
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great Experience with RobArm and Holly

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Would NOT have guessed standard. Must be b/c of the larger Mlok slots matching the the receiver's slots. Interesting.

Thanks for the info.
    Here to help. I wanted to see first hand what the new uppers were like. If I've got some time this weekend I'll get some weight comparisons. The stainless barrel was a surprise too

So they gave you a stainless bbl even though you didn't ask for one? Man, I don't understand RA. I personally don't care for SS since they don't last that long....but man, to just throw it on the order without you requesting it would likely have me sending it back.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    So they gave you a stainless bbl even though you didn't ask for one? Man, I don't understand RA. I personally don't care for SS since they don't last that long....but man, to just throw it on the order without you requesting it would likely have me sending it back.
    did I mention I asked for a type 2? I'm mostly overt it at this point. It is what it is and there's no other place to go. (I know, I'm preaching to the Choir). I knew this order would take a while and I had a solid guess it wouldn't be quite right. I wanted the type 2 because seems like they're consistently the least over gassed. I was all about the type 3 when it was introduced but the last few examples have been over gassed. Ok, not being offered anymore. I'm fine with it because there's not really any choice and generally the type 3 is serviceable. Had expected a chrome lined barrel.... didn't realize SS was even an option....ok. and the price was higher than I thought it would be because RA changes it up without telling me.... and the sights are poly now...... and I'm waiting for my M gas tube and L carriers still......

Where was I going with this?
    Merlin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Sean, Nate, I ordered a 6.5g 18" Kit last year. RA does not offer a chrome lined 6.5g barrel, only stainless. I had specifically requested stainless as I wanted the accuracy, and was told they don't make anything but stainless for the 6.5. I was asked if I wanted the barrel coated or not, which I asked for to keep glare down in the woods. If it makes you feel better at all, mine, with the type 3 is not over gassed, and runs perfect on the 4 setting, and its moa or less accurate with Hornady Black. The first group out of the rifle was 3/4".

I will be curious as to how your 12" shoots, as I just ordered a 10" 556 with the idea of a 12" 6.5g barrel for deer season. This is what happens when my 9 year old son has claimed my competition L, with the 6.5G barrel as his deer rifle now.
    Merlin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgwlower View Post
    Sean, Nate, I ordered a 6.5g 18" Kit last year. RA does not offer a chrome lined 6.5g barrel, only stainless. I had specifically requested stainless as I wanted the accuracy, and was told they don't make anything but stainless for the 6.5. I was asked if I wanted the barrel coated or not, which I asked for to keep glare down in the woods. If it makes you feel better at all, mine, with the type 3 is not over gassed, and runs perfect on the 4 setting, and its moa or less accurate with Hornady Black. The first group out of the rifle was 3/4".

I will be curious as to how your 12" shoots, as I just ordered a 10" 556 with the idea of a 12" 6.5g barrel for deer season. This is what happens when my 9 year old son has claimed my competition L, with the 6.5G barrel as his deer rifle now.
    I've got 2 6.5G barrels that appear to be chrome lined. Both chambers have the ring and look like the rest of my XCR barrels. Maybe they're only making stainless now but that's news to me. Most of the RA gas setups are fine without a can. The only combo that is kind of an issue is the original barrel port with a later gas block. I'm concerned with the settings with a CAN on it. The first couple of type 3s I got worked awesome with a can. Gas face was reduced significantly and the "zero" setting actually turned off the gas so it wouldn't cycle. Lately they've been inconsistent. I've got two that will run on "zero" and still launch the cases 25'. There's no place else to go after that.

All I can tell you is my experiences. Like I said I was told by Holly and Alex in September of last year, that they only offer the 6.5g barrels in stainless. I have no can experience as my little state is a democratic communist shithole.

However I can say that both of my type 3's, 1 on my 16" 5.56, does not cycle reliably on any setting less than 2, and my 18" 6.5 on anything less than 4. Both rip brass 20 feet however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgwlower View Post
    All I can tell you is my experiences. Like I said I was told by Holly and Alex in September of last year, that they only offer the 6.5g barrels in stainless. I have no can experience as my little state is a democratic communist shithole.

However I can say that both of my type 3's, 1 on my 16" 5.56, does not cycle reliably on any setting less than 2, and my 18" 6.5 on anything less than 4. Both rip brass 20 feet however.
    Your experience is fine. I'm not saying RA didn't tell you that but RA changes things up frequently without telling the masses(that's the key issue here). I've got 2 grendel barrels that don't appear to be SS. I got them when they were first offered. Unfortunately the accuracy out of them hasn't been great. Maybe that's why they decided to just offer the SS. I didn't care too much about the accuracy for this pistol because it was going to be fed mostly wolf. 1/8 twist in 5.56 was available early on then went away for several years. Wylde wasn't an option until recently. etc etc.
    Merlin and Sean K. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Your experience is fine. I'm not saying RA didn't tell you that but RA changes things up frequently without telling the masses(that's the key issue here). I've got 2 grendel barrels that don't appear to be SS. I got them when they were first offered. Unfortunately the accuracy out of them hasn't been great. Maybe that's why they decided to just offer the SS. I didn't care too much about the accuracy for this pistol because it was going to be fed mostly wolf. 1/8 twist in 5.56 was available early on then went away for several years. Wylde wasn't an option until recently. etc etc.
    I admit I was leery to order a 6.5 kit when I had read about the less than stellar accuracy, however when they told me stainless was available, and had been seeing great accuracy, I jumped all over it. I am new to the XCR game, just got my competition last year, and just ordered a pistol a few weeks ago. From reading past posts, its pretty damn obvious this has been a rifle plagued by frustration from its owners. The good thing I can say, is that they seem to be looking no where but up and forward. Holly has been an awesome addition to the team, both she and Alex in my experience have been outstanding to work with. It seems like the rife is ever evolving--for the better, which is different than many other companies now a days, who just abandon a platform when it fails to meet projections. I guess I can say I am lucky to be involved at this point in the game, because from reading past history, If I had gotten involved early, I would have probably walked away and not come back.

My parts arrived. Ordered a few small parts to complete an upper receiver I'd bought used earlier. Anyway, the inner spring guide would not fit into the outer spring guide. Turns out that inside the outer spring guide was two small semi-circular spots of extra metal...looked to be from the welding of the button to the outer spring guide where maybe the weld penetrated inside the tube. I took a small round file and filed them down. All is fine now. If anyone had tried to insert the inner spring guide in the right direction or look through the outer guide, it would have been obvious. It wasn't worth returning to RA. I've let RA know for feedback purposes. Anyway, might be something to be aware of if you've recently received a spare outer spring guide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors