Some SHOT 2019 press on the XCR
Like Tree4Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some SHOT 2019 press on the XCR

Some SHOT 2019 press on the XCR

Not sure if the shaved top rail this is custom for their "shooters" or if it'll be another option. Not much else in the article but it's nice to see them mentioned.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...etition-rifle/
    bgreed likes this.

I can't imagine shaving the top pic rails saves enough weight to be worth the loss in versatility....but to each their own I guess.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I can't imagine shaving the top pic rails saves enough weight to be worth the loss in versatility....but to each their own I guess.
    Not enough to matter. What the XCR really needs is modern day plastics, and more removal of materials on non-load-bearing areas. But we know that'll never happen. Put it next to a CZ Bren, it's starting to appear dated.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Shaving the top rail makes it more comfortable when grabbing the handgard with your thumb wrapped over the top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Not enough to matter. What the XCR really needs is modern day plastics, and more removal of materials on non-load-bearing areas. But we know that'll never happen. Put it next to a CZ Bren, it's starting to appear dated.
    Meh...I personally don't think the Bren is all that. I'd still take an XCR over one. Only upside on the Bren is taking a constant curve mag for X39 IMO.

Yes, the XCR is a little heavy, but for what it is...it's pretty damn good. JMO, of course.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Just for conversation sake.... poly lower on the xcr... metal upper for the barrel attachment and operating group..... detachable hand guard akin to the mcx. Are we now "modern"? What's lacking on the xcr relative to the latest offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Just for conversation sake.... poly lower on the xcr... metal upper for the barrel attachment and operating group..... detachable hand guard akin to the mcx. Are we now "modern"? What's lacking on the xcr relative to the latest offerings?
    If the weight could be significantly reduced...and not sacrifice too much durability...it might be worth it.

What's the current weight on a 16" light profile bbl'd L with KM stnd. upper and FAST 2? 7.5 lbs? It would have to knock off at least a pound or more IMO to be worth it, IMO. 6 lbs would be tits...but I'm not sure that's attainable through material changes alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Meh...I personally don't think the Bren is all that. I'd still take an XCR over one. Only upside on the Bren is taking a constant curve mag for X39 IMO.

Yes, the XCR is a little heavy, but for what it is...it's pretty damn good. JMO, of course.
    I didn't mean to say the way the Bren works is more advanced. I meant choice of materials and where those materials are employed.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Yes. I think this is the evolution the XCR needs, along with a better attachment method (not just a single screw) for repeatable accuracy. Better barrel wouldn't hurt either. A rifle with near $2k sticker having a Green Mountain (rumored) barrel?? Caliber exchange is a great option to have. But, I think most believers here wound up with multiple dedicated rifles, right? If they want the AR buying public to take note, they definitely need to think about what would make that AR buyer buy the XCR instead. Otherwise, it's always going to be a tough sell. Multi-caliber capability should be thought of as a bonus feature, not the primary selling point.
    Last edited by fmunk; 01-31-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    I didn't mean to say the way the Bren works is more advanced. I meant choice of materials and where those materials are employed.

Yes. I think this is the evolution the XCR needs, along with a better attachment method (not just a single screw) for repeatable accuracy. Better barrel wouldn't hurt either. A rifle with near $2k sticker having a Green Mountain (rumored) barrel?? Caliber exchange is a great option to have. But, I think most believers here wound up with multiple dedicated rifles, right? If they want the AR buying public to take note, they definitely need to think about what would make that AR buyer buy the XCR instead. Otherwise, it's always going to be a tough sell. Multi-caliber capability should be thought of as a bonus feature, not the primary selling point.
    I'm pretty sure they are ER Shaw.

Honestly, the biggest draw to the AR is the weight (well if price and parts availability as well as "the military uses it" cool-guy factor weren't in the mix). And DI is always going to be lighter than piston. Thing is, what you get for the added weight is durability.

The AK draw is the price point (though high end ones cost as much as high end ARs and the formerly "cheap" ones are more expensive than cheap ARs now)...and the simplicity and ruggedness. The XCR kinda fits in between and that's why I like it.

If I had to choose AR or AK, I'd go AK based on the design. I'd wager a lot of draw to the XCR is the design...and I don't know how RA could leverage that other than to get the weight comparable to a similarly sized AR....which would be really difficult.

This was a few years back but I thought Alex had mentioned Shilen blanks on the Ms. DO NOT quote me on that. standard KM upper, light 1/9 with 3 chamber brake, FAST 1, MOE SL grip, no sights 7# 2oz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors