INEXPENSIVE/CHEAP BUIS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INEXPENSIVE/CHEAP BUIS

INEXPENSIVE/CHEAP BUIS

This is open to all to have at it, unlike some of my other posts!

I am adding a warning to this. The UTG front sight shoots EXTREMELY low, 3 feet or more at 50 yards. Despite filing down the post, it still is 8 inches low at 25 yards, which means 16 inches at 50 yards. I continue to work on this, read the last post, but unless you want to spent a fair amount of time filing and grinding, these sights will not work on the XCR.

After having a battery go dead in the ECOTech, I figured past time to correct the lack of iron sights (gun had none when I bought it)
    Also, get a whole new set of batteries and the lithium's are the way to go (much longer life, live better in stoarge etc.) Good idea to test them (I have a flashlight I can drop them into and see how they are doing, as well as a digital meter to see).

My problem is, that I can no longer focus worth a hoot, so I am not going to be doing any target shooting with irons sights.
    They would be worst case I can see good enough to throw rounds at someone, and if not hit them scare the hell out of them. Probably not be able to hit anything decently at 100 yards and going shaky between 50-75 (and yes I will test that all, and see what the limitations are, you don't want to risk others, so just throwing lead would be based on the situation)

So, good sights are wasted on me, I wanted the cheapest things I could find that seemed to work. UTG makes flip ups for front and rear, and I got those. Took a lot of work to find one place that had both. Shipping charges at one place cost more than the sight.

The one I found used the US POst office, which is nice, thats only $11. I don't know if other places are lazy or what, but FedEx or UPS cost a lot anyway, and some places make money on it, as they have discounts, but charge you the same rate as if shipping it personaly. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy (I got a 8 lb US made maul shipped up here for less than the one site was charging to ship a 4 oz site. Sheese.

So, yep, lame excuses, good lesson, and will see how the cheap sites work. They should work for what I need, support the economy, help keep up those imports and all that. There is a place for inexpensive stuff I think. I still have the one piece scope mount for $17. Long term I will replace that, but it works for now.

Re: INEXPENSIVE/CHEAP BUIS

If I'm not mistaken the UTG front sight is designed to work on the gas block on an AR15,so when you mount it on the "same plane" rail like that of the XCR when you go to zero them,the point of impact will be very low,as the UTG is too high for the application.I don't know if they have enough downward adjustment to get you zeroed properly or not.You might be able to file some off the top of the front sight but I've not tried that,I'm not even sure I would recommend it honestly.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

These are rail mounted sights.

Fairly new I think. I saw the gas block ones, also fixed M16 type, but these were the inexpensive incarnation of the YHM/Midwest Industries type, flip up and rail mounted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Do you have a link for them?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Believe he is referring to the MNT-751,951 set. I just ordered them for my rifle which should be in my hands early next week.

http://www.leapers.com/pages/mountin...rail_mount.htm

Not new to the site by the way, have just been an outside reader until I took the plunge and bought my XCR.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

I hope not because if that's the one he ordered it won't work unless modified .If you look on that link there's a box next to the picture of the sight you can click that says "application" which shows what it looks like mounted,unfortunately it's on an AR gas block and if mounted on a same plane rail will be to high.Trust me I know I've called them,because I looked at the same set.I have a set of Promag sights that had the same problem,before I knew better.

Will keep you in the loop when I get them (too late already ordered them) and let you know if they work stock, or can be modified to work. ;D
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Well, I ordered the same ones.

Will not be able to get to the range till this weekend, but just doing a quick and dirty sighting in my garage I don't think these UTG's will work (in other words, the front sight is in fact for gas block only, and thus too high).

The front post is a strange thing. You can push a cam pin down on it and rotate it (it has four indents 90 degrees from each other). However, moving it to another indent does not change it's height or anything else as far as I can tell.

These iron sights were back ups to my red dot coming next week.

Anyone have an explanation as to why BUIS are so damn expensive?? I refuse to pay $200 for something that should be no more than $20. They make bike parts look cheap. Do the workers at these machine shops have UAW contracts?? > Anyone have a line on the fair, realistically priced Chinese knockoffs?
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..." C. S. Lewis

The front post is a strange thing. You can push a cam pin down on it and rotate it (it has four indents 90 degrees from each other). However, moving it to another indent does not change it's height or anything else as far as I can tell.
    It sounds like a standard AR type adjustment.It's easiest to use the special tool to adjust it,you can find them online most anywhere.I believe clockwise adjusts it down.
    Anyone have a line on the fair, realistically priced Chinese knockoffs?
    Look for airsort knockoffs on E-bay.

That's it DTOM. Again, thanks for the info
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..." C. S. Lewis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors