Which choke for clay out of a 18.5" barrel?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SSBiggun
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By Merlin
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 2 Post By SSBiggun

Thread: Which choke for clay out of a 18.5" barrel?

Which choke for clay out of a 18.5" barrel?

Yes, I know a tactical shotgun isn't meant for skeet... but for the occasional goofing around... which choke should I use? Modified? Improved modified?
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I always found if I wanted to use my short bbl. 21" on my 1100 I benifitted from bigger shot I.e. high brass game load #6 and the modified choke.
    fmunk likes this.
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

My VEPR 12 doesn't have a choke...but I have at least 8 rounds and a super fast trigger with a short reset so very few clays ever get away.
    fmunk likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    My VEPR 12 doesn't have a choke...but I have at least 8 rounds and a super fast trigger with a short reset so very few clays ever get away.
    I got myself a Beretta 1301. Have only shot skeet a few times in the past, as a joke, with a Benelli Supernova (pump). Don't know much about chokes and this will be my first semi-auto scattergun. It comes threaded for Optima HP chokes and a Improved Cylinder tube. Will probably stick a Holosun 508 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    I got myself a Beretta 1301. Have only shot skeet a few times in the past, as a joke, with a Benelli Supernova (pump). Don't know much about chokes and this will be my first semi-auto scattergun. It comes threaded for Optima HP chokes and a Improved Cylinder tube. Will probably stick a Holosun 508 on it.

Yeah, not really a shotgun guy myself either. Sorry I'm no help on the chokes. Great tool...I just don't really enjoy it compared to mag fed rifles.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

With a 18" barrel the Modified choke will probably be best for pattern. The shorter barrel will make the wad fall away a little faster, opening up the shot pattern.
    fmunk likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Yeah, not really a shotgun guy myself either. Sorry I'm no help on the chokes. Great tool...I just don't really enjoy it compared to mag fed rifles.
    I've never had one that I enjoyed shooting. This is supposed to be fairly pleasant to shoot... we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    I've never had one that I enjoyed shooting. This is supposed to be fairly pleasant to shoot... we'll see.
    The VEPR I have has fun in spades....but to me, it's still not as fun as pistol or rifle.
    fmunk likes this.

The VEPR I have has fun in spades....but to me, it's still not as fun as pistol or rifle.
    On the same page with you. Smaller projectile and impact area, more challenging.

I put a poly choke on my Saiga with 19" bbl and have slain clays with it again and again using #6 high brass usually dialed up to modified. With the MD Arms drums its literally a blast in spades to shoot but I think Shotguns in general lose a little enjoyment when they are punishing to shoot. After 20 rds of #6 high brass the Saiga with its Ace Folding stock loses some of its fun factor. let alone throwin some max dram buckshot or slugs down range.
    Last edited by SSBiggun; 07-03-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    Sean K. and fmunk like this.
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

Sponsors