Question For Those Running Direct Thread Cans....
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By abran007
  • 1 Post By SSBiggun
  • 1 Post By SSBiggun
  • 1 Post By Merlin
  • 1 Post By Sean K.

Thread: Question For Those Running Direct Thread Cans....

Question For Those Running Direct Thread Cans....

I'm not sure how many people here have direct thread cans vs. QD mounts, but I'll ask:

Do you run the can right up against the shoulder on the bbl (if you have direct thread)?

I was planning to use this:

https://pof-usa.com/product/muzzle-brake-lock-nut/

It's a muzzle brake nut....basically a jam nut up against the can so I could easily take it off by just using opposing wrenches in the field. Concentricity seems to be fine when I slide a Geissele/Surefire Alignment Bore Rod down the bbl/suppressor, but I've been told it's not a good idea.

I'm just worried I'm not going to be able to easily remove the can from the bbl threads after there's some carbon build up and heat on it. The can does have 3/4" wrench flats, but trying to clamp/hold down the upper enough to remove the can from the bbl seems like it could be really difficult out in the field.

Looking for anyone's experience..........
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I'm not sure how many people here have direct thread cans vs. QD mounts, but I'll ask:

Do you run the can right up against the shoulder on the bbl (if you have direct thread)?

I was planning to use this:

https://pof-usa.com/product/muzzle-brake-lock-nut/

It's a muzzle brake nut....basically a jam nut up against the can so I could easily take it off by just using opposing wrenches in the field. Concentricity seems to be fine when I slide a Geissele/Surefire Alignment Bore Rod down the bbl/suppressor, but I've been told it's not a good idea.

I'm just worried I'm not going to be able to easily remove the can from the bbl threads after there's some carbon build up and heat on it. The can does have 3/4" wrench flats, but trying to clamp/hold down the upper enough to remove the can from the bbl seems like it could be really difficult out in the field.

Looking for anyone's experience..........
    Ive got a mix of DT and QD, the only DT I’ve ever had a problem with is the .22 rimfire can, I have to make a point of taking it off the gun whiles it is warm or it will lock on there pretty tightly. Never had an issue with any of the other cans which are (45, 9mm, 5.56). 7.62 can is a QD so never an issue there.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abran007 View Post
    Ive got a mix of DT and QD, the only DT I’ve ever had a problem with is the .22 rimfire can, I have to make a point of taking it off the gun whiles it is warm or it will lock on there pretty tightly. Never had an issue with any of the other cans which are (45, 9mm, 5.56). 7.62 can is a QD so never an issue there.
    Thanks for the input.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Sean , I have both . I have seen manufactures say not to use jam nuts because the square shoulder is part of the alignment. This was also told to me directly by Dr. Dater from Gemtech . The same reason why even Bellvelle style lock washers arent good. Ive even considered nordlocks . Moosedaddy uses teflon thread tape on his. My AAC Phantom slowly works loose and I check it every 10-15 rds. I had it ordered with 1/2x36 for the colt 9mm and had my Beretta Bbl threaded to match. Another friend had his HRT come unscrewed and had some strikes that caused catastrophic failure, then he got to find out about AAC customer service.
    Last edited by SSBiggun; 07-30-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Sean K. likes this.
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

I take it you haven't actually tried the nordlocks yet then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I take it you haven't actually tried the nordlocks yet then?
    Kiser tried them on his Thundertrap. He didnt have any issues but I dont have enough barrel to do it on the Beretta.
    Sean K. likes this.
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

I have both but don't do enough shooting to give a definitive input. I use a little bit of anti-seize, whether using the QD or the DT can on same rifle, and not had a problem with them loosening.
    I have also used a 'jam' nut but not one that thick w/o any issues of strikes or loosening. But like I said that doesn't mean I could have something happen sometime down the line.
    Sean K. likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I have both but don't do enough shooting to give a definitive input. I use a little bit of anti-seize, whether using the QD or the DT can on same rifle, and not had a problem with them loosening.
    I have also used a 'jam' nut but not one that thick w/o any issues of strikes or loosening. But like I said that doesn't mean I could have something happen sometime down the line.
    Yea, I have the thinner jam nuts too....I liked these b/c they have a flange to hide any gap between the shoulder and the jam nut. Purely cosmetic though....
    Merlin likes this.

Sponsors