XCR Barrels
Like Tree5Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XCR Barrels

G2[OP]

XCR Barrels

Before you all rip my head off...I know Iíve seen this posted somewhere but I havenít been able to find it...
    I am looking for what Robinson makes their barrels out of and what method of manufacturing and if they use chrome lines of the latest chemical treatments?
    I have looked at my barrels and the look different. My older Xcr almost looks chrome lined, but my newer gen2 doesnít look any different than if it was parked inside.

Any info would be appreciated
    Thx
    G2

They don't park the inside of any bbl I'm aware of. They park the outside.

RA uses chrome lining rather than nitriding. Supposedly, they tried nitriding and it caused overpressure issues or something; which to me sounds like whoever they had do it didn't do it correctly or the chamber wasn't reamed to the correct spec to begin with.

Pretty sure they are 4140 chromoly steel. Just normal bbls; I don't believe they are CHF.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

G2[OP]
    Thank you...

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

The older barrels are made of heat treated 4140 aaaaand then chrome plated. The new ones are heat treated stainless.

G2[OP]
    Thanks guys...
    I had mentioned the “park” because some park inside and out when parking their barrels. The park eventually shoots out and is not considered a big deal. In my Fal days we were parking and not worrying about plugging all the holes. Same with the M1A.
    Anyway, I am glad to hear they are chrome lined. I even ran a bore scope down one of my older barrels and could not tell if it was chrome lined.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by owtlaw View Post
    The older barrels are made of heat treated 4140 aaaaand then chrome plated. The new ones are heat treated stainless.
    All of them are heat treated stainless now? That's seems stupid. Yeah, accuracy is better....but longevity isn't.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

G2[OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    All of them are heat treated stainless now? That's seems stupid. Yeah, accuracy is better....but longevity isn't.
    I sure hope not....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Easier to do that to address accuracy criticism than revising barrel to receiver interface.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

1-2 MOA is good enough for my XCRs. I'd rather have the chrome.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Easier to do that to address accuracy criticism than revising barrel to receiver interface.
    I don't think the bbl retention/interface is the problem with accuracy frankly. I think it's that RA sources bbls on the cheap. I think nitriding would give them better accuracy and better longevity. B/c Alex decided early on that nitriding didn't work, so he's never going to try it again. CHF would be another improvement.

Most ARs even 10 years ago shot 1-2 MOA. What's changed since then? Better chamber specs, .223 Wylde for example, better bbl quality....CHF, and more concentric bbl bores through improved surface treatments over chrome like nitriding. That's what really brought accuracy down to the 1 MOA for higher quality ARs.

Which of these has RA invested in? Well, they recently went to Wylde and now they are apparently going SS. I wonder what they are now getting for accuracy? I'd bet it's down around that 1 MOA mark...just as their SS offerings in the initial Ms were getting.

JMO.
    fmunk and Merlin like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors