KUSA KR-9 & Zenitco Stock (somewhat unrelated)

Thread: KUSA KR-9 & Zenitco Stock (somewhat unrelated)

KUSA KR-9 & Zenitco Stock (somewhat unrelated)

I've never been interested in pistol caliber carbines. However, ever since I started looking a the Kalashnikov USA KR-9 ( Vityaz or Saiga 9 clone) I've become intrigued. Any experience here with it? Also, my "research" has lead me down a rabbit hole of Russian AK parts. Came across this AK stock by Zenitco. It's available through a few outlets here in the US, like Legion. Got me wondering what the FAST stock could have been.

https://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file...ShortRight.jpg
    Last edited by fmunk; 12-14-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

DSM
    The 9mm AK is something I think took a long time to come to market. To be certain I’ve seen some custom builds over the years but an actual factory offering. The KR9 caught my attention too I must admit. Functionally I like it because it’s a simple blowback operated firearm instead of roller locked or piston. Sure those firearms using those operating systems work just fine but I’m a fan of simplicity too. And they made a wise choice using Scorpion mags.

Now, what purpose would it serve? I’ve no idea but it’d be a fun shooter.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

The KR9 does not use Scorpion mags, instead it uses proprietary mags (nearly identical to original Vityaz/Saiga9). Good news for collectors wanting authenticity but bad news for shooters at $45 a pop. The Palmetto AKV can take Scorpion mags but is really a revised AK stamped receiver. Plus, since I'm in CA, they added a long goofy pipe to extend the barrel to make are carbine. The KR9 I could at least put on a slip-over fake can to cover up the long skinny barrel. So, pros and cons to both.

As for PCCs, yah I don't see much use for either... other than yet another fun toy to collect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I was all excited about the AK-V from PSA...but they were sold out all the time. By the time I ran 5.56 pistols side by side with my Scorpion....I realized, they weren't any faster and ballistically weren't in the same class. Now it just seems like a fun range toy. I'd still like to have one, but the price needs to come down.

RA is rumored to be doing a PCC....with Glock mags...which is fine for calibers other than 9mm. To me, the AK-V or Scorpion mags are a sweet spot in terms of size/cost/round count for a PCC. Guess I'll just keep my EVO or get an AK-V.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

DSM
    A 9mm and/or other pistol conversion for the XCR was another wasted opportunity I think. Sure, it’d been a Colt style affair in execution and wouldn’t have made anyone there rich but it still would’ve sold. I know I would’ve bought one.

You already have a modular rifle so go with it. Not even a .22 conversion. But hey, woke up this morning and still don’t own the company so what do I know.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

I ended up taking in an unfired Scorpion as part trade for my SCAR 17s. Will probably not bother with the KR-9. KUSA's proprietary mags are almost twice the cost of Scorpion mags. It's definitely a range toy, like a 10/22 for grown-ups.

Sponsors