Hello and hope everyone is well - Page 4
Like Tree26Likes
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hello and hope everyone is well

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I don't think it can be seen as communistic unless you were ORDERED to go back to work.
    Definitely. That's what I meant.

The problem is that at this point we're developing a dual-class society.

We have the "haves', who are still getting paid to stay home, because their employer is either (a) able to print money to pay them, or (b) able to muster sufficient lobbying power to get bailed out with that printed money.

Then we have the "have nots" who actually have to work to earn money.

Guess who's going to get hurt by this situation? And who's going to have a nice paid vacation?
    fmunk and Sean K. like this.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Definitely. That's what I meant.

The problem is that at this point we're developing a dual-class society.

I think it's always been that way, probably as long as existence of humanity. We live in the here and now, never learn from history... so we repeat it over and over. I mean, hell, look at how DC is today.
    Last edited by fmunk; 03-24-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

There is a lot of daylight between "no hope" and "blind optimism". I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to be at either extremes. On the other hand, when you are faced with a challenge, is it not better to overestimate the "enemy" than to underestimate and be caught flat footed (like the WH did)?
    Sean K. and TomAiello like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    There is a lot of daylight between "no hope" and "blind optimism".
    Truth.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Ignoring the hype in the 2nd headline....

This is actually encouraging news.

**EDIT** First link is a sign up required....but if you read the headline, it sort of tells the story of what generation this virus is really in at least in the UK (and likely here as well).**

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-...reType=nongift

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21B1CC

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...tgp-predicted/

The above means the death rate in Italy is 1/10th of what's being reported. Confirmed cases in Italy are 69,176 infected and 6,820 deaths....or 9.8%. *If* the article is correct and the true number is more like 700K infected, then the rate drops to essentially .98, or less than 1%.
    fmunk likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I saw reporting yesterday that US is now #1 in rate of new cases. Yay, we're #1!

One of the largest local gun stores (one location in TX as well) today declared suspension all transfers. Not due to government pressure, but to overwhelming number of transfers to process. Panic buyers. SMH.
    Sean K. likes this.

More light (sarcasm) reading: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/

Over in a month? Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    A month?? Even "I alone can fix it" changed his tune from "it'll just go away like a miracle" to "July-August". Leading epidemiologists say even longer. I think I'll side with people who actually work on and study germs than a guy who didn't know where Seoul Korea was and thought he could order to have the entire city of 20 million (of another nation) moved further away from the DMZ. The guy doesn't read anything or retain any information provided to him. The person behind the scenes who is actually "in charge" is Kushner, who has no experience in government or crisis management.

FY 2020 is going to be a wash. The worse has yet to come. We're only at the trailhead of this uphill climb.

A very likely possibility.
    We were already set up for a year'ish. I would expect the shelter in place orders to slowly grow teeth. I would also expect the quarantine to be extended 2 weeks or so at a time. Had they said "8 months" right off the bat, things might have....as Bravo would say, got sportin'.

FWIW I know several young healthy people who had bizarre respiratory things around Dec/Jan, myself included. Horrible cough, tons of lung butter, took about 3 weeks to finally kick. I never go to the doctor for the flu or colds, or really anything short of bones sticking out of skin so who knows.....but, to speak to what's been posited, this could mean the death rate is much lower, but if I'm wrong about that, we still have an efficient killer of the old and compromised. Before this is over, we may all lose someone we know. Most of us are really not worried about the next adventure after this place, as a person finally starting to enjoy this one though, I'd rather check out later than sooner.....I doubt I am alone in that.

We were due for an economic crash, I expected it right around the time the Dow took a dive end of 2018, but it looks like this could be the big kick off. Very fortunate to be insulated but I know some are not so.....this looks ugly for them. Very ugly. No catastrophe goes to waste.
    Sean K. and fmunk like this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    We were already set up for a year'ish. I would expect the shelter in place orders to slowly grow teeth. I would also expect the quarantine to be extended 2 weeks or so at a time. Had they said "8 months" right off the bat, things might have....as Bravo would say, got sportin'.

FWIW I know several young healthy people who had bizarre respiratory things around Dec/Jan, myself included. Horrible cough, tons of lung butter, took about 3 weeks to finally kick. I never go to the doctor for the flu or colds, or really anything short of bones sticking out of skin so who knows.....but, to speak to what's been posited, this could mean the death rate is much lower, but if I'm wrong about that, we still have an efficient killer of the old and compromised. Before this is over, we may all lose someone we know. Most of us are really not worried about the next adventure after this place, as a person finally starting to enjoy this one though, I'd rather check out later than sooner.....I doubt I am alone in that.

We were due for an economic crash, I expected it right around the time the Dow took a dive end of 2018, but it looks like this could be the big kick off. Very fortunate to be insulated but I know some are not so.....this looks ugly for them. Very ugly. No catastrophe goes to waste.

Same here....28 year old from work and his wife and baby all had a really bad flu that lasted weeks....but more recently...like in late February/early March. I have a sneaking suspicion that this virus has been in the US a LOT longer than we've thought. The newest data sets are supporting that hypothesis...which is good. It probably means many of us have been exposed and are immune to it already. Hopefully, that's the case.

Yeah...market was overdue for a correction
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Come to think of it, several coworkers were hit with a stubborn flu around that time frame as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsors