Need thoughts on xcr-l
Like Tree5Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need thoughts on xcr-l

Need thoughts on xcr-l

So trying to decide, do I sell my bren 2 ms 7.62x39 rifle and buy an xcr-l

pros so far:
    Caliber conversion vs what was promised for the bren 2
    Would be a rifle so I could just buy whatever muzzle device without worrying about length (my bren has been converted to a rifle)
    Could share 6.5 grendel mags with my ar 15

Cons so far:
    legwork
    cost (at the same time for the value of what I could sell my bren for I should have extra cash left over I could use for mags)
    left hand charging (imma southpaw used to ak style)
    weight maybe?

thoughts?
    Has anyone used to ak style who is a left gotten used to the function just fine? Hows the quality of the gun? Which would you prefer? How well do they suppress?

I'm used to and very fond of AKs...but I'm right handed, so I'm used to reaching under with my left to charge. That said, there's really no comparison. Other than the charging handle for a lefty, it's just a much more ergonomic platform, easier to work on, easier/better for optics, more calibers, easy to change if you wish, easier configuration changes of handguards, bbl lengths, etc.

If I were ranking the guns I like best:

XCR (L and M)

AKs

ARs...and I own some pretty high end ARs (LWRC, POF, BCM, LMT, etc)

But that's merely an opinion.

I think you'll find the weight similar to the Brens....depending on which configurations you get (light bbl and KM upper, for example) .

Suppressed? Can't really give you good info b/c I run flow through design cans....so not apples to apples if you're running sealed ones. With a flow through, there's not much change at all in cyclic rate, fouling or gas in the face compared to no can at all.
    Hartman23Foscari likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I'm used to and very fond of AKs...but I'm right handed, so I'm used to reaching under with my left to charge. That said, there's really no comparison. Other than the charging handle for a lefty, it's just a much more ergonomic platform, easier to work on, easier/better for optics, more calibers, easy to change if you wish, easier configuration changes of handguards, bbl lengths, etc.

If I were ranking the guns I like best:

XCR (L and M)

AKs

ARs...and I own some pretty high end ARs (LWRC, POF, BCM, LMT, etc)

But that's merely an opinion.

I think you'll find the weight similar to the Brens....depending on which configurations you get (light bbl and KM upper, for example) .

Suppressed? Can't really give you good info b/c I run flow through design cans....so not apples to apples if you're running sealed ones. With a flow through, there's not much change at all in cyclic rate, fouling or gas in the face compared to no can at all.
    I presume flow through is like that one company that has the spiral system where the gases spiral through instead of baffling?

I dont have a can yet and it sounds like I have more to learn.

Sounds like the hard part will be selling my bren then as you helped me decide But because of all the stuff on the bren it will require me asking for minimally 2300 for it since to follow 922r etc It has to come with all these parts and I cannot part it out. nevermind the 9 mags I have for it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartman23Foscari View Post
    I presume flow through is like that one company that has the spiral system where the gases spiral through instead of baffling?

I dont have a can yet and it sounds like I have more to learn.

Sounds like the hard part will be selling my bren then as you helped me decide But because of all the stuff on the bren it will require me asking for minimally 2300 for it since to follow 922r etc It has to come with all these parts and I cannot part it out. nevermind the 9 mags I have for it.
    There are 2....X2 Development Group (formerly NGsquared Defense) and OSS. OSS has a sordid history with its original owner (an SF dude) getting ousted. What I'd characterize as a hostile takeover made it difficult for me to spend any money with them. I'm hoping the original owner will start up a new company as soon as he legally can (I think the company retained IP rights to the design). OSS does make good kit....no one's arguing that; just questionable leadership.

X2 is an even more highly complex CNC'd system.....and they keep improving them. They are a little on the chunky side in terms of diameter and weight, but no bbl length restrictions, lifetime warranty. I'm very pleased with both of mine.

In this environment, I'd think unloading at $2300 wouldn't be too hard, but I could be wrong based on the fact that a Radical AR worth literally $300 in Oct of 2018 is now $900 in Dec of 2020...and there are a lot of newbies out there that don't know what they're really buying.
    Hartman23Foscari likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

There are 2....X2 Development Group (formerly NGsquared Defense) and OSS. OSS has a sordid history with its original owner (an SF dude) getting ousted. What I'd characterize as a hostile takeover made it difficult for me to spend any money with them. I'm hoping the original owner will start up a new company as soon as he legally can (I think the company retained IP rights to the design). OSS does make good kit....no one's arguing that; just questionable leadership.

X2 is an even more highly complex CNC'd system.....and they keep improving them. They are a little on the chunky side in terms of diameter and weight, but no bbl length restrictions, lifetime warranty. I'm very pleased with both of mine.

In this environment, I'd think unloading at $2300 wouldn't be too hard, but I could be wrong based on the fact that a Radical AR worth literally $300 in Oct of 2018 is now $900 in Dec of 2020...and there are a lot of newbies out there that don't know what they're really buying.
    so where you think i should sell it for best rate of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartman23Foscari View Post
    so where you think i should sell it for best rate of interest?
    Couldn't tell you...don't know where you're located, but I'd sell locally if at all possible. Around here I post on local gun forums and sell FTF with a bill of sale if the buyer wants one. Most don't want paperwork and my state law has only 2 stipulations about selling a firearm so I just follow those. Your state may be quite different. Always abide by local regulations. You could also put it up on gunbroker...but I find those situations to be a lot more of a pain in the ass as well as less profitable since you have to pay fees at the FFL, to ship and to the hosting site.

Just a note the Military Arms Channel on YouTube just did a segment on if he could only own five guns. XCR made the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RobertSlaughter likes this.

Couldn't tell you...don't know where you're located, but I'd sell locally if at all possible. Around here I post on local gun forums and sell FTF with a bill of sale if the buyer wants one. Most don't want paperwork and my state law has only 2 stipulations about selling a firearm so I just follow those. Your state may be quite different. Always abide by local regulations. You could also put it up on gunbroker...but I find those situations to be a lot more of a pain in the ass as well as less profitable since you have to pay fees at the FFL, to ship and to the hosting site.
    VA :.( we lost our right to sell our private stuff to private people without gov wanting their snouts in it

Quote Originally Posted by bgreed View Post
    Just a note the Military Arms Channel on YouTube just did a segment on if he could only own five guns. XCR made the cut.

yeah its actually how i found out about the xcr. at first I thought it was just another acr tbh until I did research

Need thoughts on xcr-l

If Alex would just hire an actual marketing and social media professional the gun would take off.

Have any of yíall seen the recent bobo marketing photos and videos!? Itís like my wife used her crappy 8yrold dell work laptop and a homemade green screen. Itís flat out comical.

Seriously, look at this garbage.

It honestly makes me cringe.

As a millennial (Ď83) Iím seriously turned off by this type of stuff. It shows a lack of technology and shines poorly on the brand.

Having said all that, I absolutely love my XCR. I just wish Alex would wise up a bit. Heís getting older and needs some younger blood in the company.

But to the OP.

I donít know if Iíd sell the Bren. Itís a very nice and capable rifle. But Ive heard they donít love to be suppressed. Which is a no go for me. All my rifles have cans.

But the XCR is a quality gun and very boutique. Challenges come with working with a small outfit like RA as mentioned above.

Last edited by TTEngineer; 12-16-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors