Why is it that Forums protect the seller and not the buyer?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it that Forums protect the seller and not the buyer?

Why is it that Forums protect the seller and not the buyer?

Through the years, I have noticed the National Association of Forum Nazi's always protects the Sellers but never the Buyers.

Why is this?

I personally don't agree with this policy, and I try not respond to them but it is getting harder and harder.
    I especially like it how a "reputable" guy on the forums post something for sale way over price and his "reputable" buddies post on how good of a deal this is. Why can't I point out the obvious and say something like "I can get it from so and so brand new for $200 cheaper"

Just recently I saw an XCR for $400 more used then one goes for brand new. As EricCartmann I feel it is my duty to protect and inform the general public of scams and ripoffs, but the National Forum Government Nazi prevents me from doing this. Why?

Re: Why is it that Forums protect the seller and not the buyer?

Sometimes said rifles come with a bunch of accessories, or some people have had custom jobs done (fluting, trigger jobs, barrel being cut down, etc).

So sometimes the goodies make the rifle more exciting and worth a little more, since so much has been put into it. My rifle has a fluted barrel, a phantom flash hider, a PRS stock, an ERGO grip, the fancy new interlocking Magpul rail covers, a Millet DMS-1 scope, a custom paint job and a vertical grip. I wouldn't even consider selling it for just $1500. Sure, it's used - but it's worth more because of all the good stuff.

My point is... sometimes it is a worthwhile deal because of the configuration. If it's bare bones, no goodies attached, and they want $2k for it... that is indeed excessive.
    Resident Forum Slut

It is up to the seller to say what he did and how much the extra's are worth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Did you get banned AGAIN?
    I'll kill anyone who touches you, because that's my job.

-The Road

No I did not get banned. ;D

I am just asking how this kind of thinking got ingrained in the gun forum community. Every forum follows this model.

--------------
    "$2000 for an AK" <==== guy with new ad

"Wow that's a great deal" <==== guys buddy post this, it's a great, but yet he does not buy it

"$2000 for a low end AK, are you serious? <====== this guy gets banned.

Sure, it's used - but it's worth more because of all the good stuff.
    Terra I understand exactly what you mean.You have to keep in mind however that customizations are to your taste and the potential buyers may not want everything you have done to it.In other words when doing permanent changes to your firearms,keep in mind they they are usually only worth what you payed for them to you,and not necessarily everyone else.I'm not saying don't ask what you think it's worth,but don't expect to get the greatest return on your customization investment.
    EC as far as dumbass people asking twice what something is worth:Well they have a right to ask what they want for their property,but I don't have to pay it,and I don't think it should be against some unwritten law you can't tell them they are trying to ass-rape the potential buyer.Freedom of speech both directions.I try not to get into that kind of debacle,unless the asking price is ridiculous.I shop our local trader every week and I've actually called people to make sure the price they have on something isn't a misprint,people are definitely proud of their junk sometimes!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

I agree, for some reason it is bad policy to go into a post and question a price for things. I have seen things on here before that I wanted to say something about. I understand charging what the market will support but there is no reason to try and screw people over. :2cents:
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

tk

Liability can be an issue. But mostly, it's just asking for a headache.

tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Pardon my ignorance, but what forum is this thread in reference to? The trading post here or some other site?

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..." C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by crenca View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what forum is this thread in reference to? The trading post here or some other site?

every gun site i have been to

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors