Quality of SCAR
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality of SCAR

Quality of SCAR

So the other day while visiting Daniel Defense I spotted a SCAR sitting in the corner. It was just lying there, minding its own business. I figured, I have handled them before but maybe this time it will feel different, more solid. So I pick it up and say "wow this feels real good". That is the point I turn it over and realize that it is Airsoft...so either Airsoft guns are getting real good or the last SCAR I fondled was real bad.

I also played around with a nice little shorty AR. It was a Magpul lower with a Noveske 10.5" upper with the Vltor Vis-2. I took some pics, just need to get them off my iphone. I offered to buy it, I figured it was worth at least a couple hundred bucks...
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

Re: Quality of SCAR

Now that had me laughing..

I have not handled a SCAR, but I have to ask those who have this:

Is your reaction any different from the first time you handled the now ubiquitous plastic pistols? Does a Glock feel any different - does it give you more confidence in the ability of the gun to function properly than the SCAR?

I suppose until I learned to trust my Glock I might have a strong negative reaction to the polymer intensive SCAR. Now that I am comfortable with the Glock I would like to think that the mere fact of polymer would not turn me off.

You guys already know this however (I would guess you already have your share of plastic pistols), so what is it about the SCAR that causes this reaction? Sincere question - no flame bait here...

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..." C. S. Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I am perfectly happy with Polymer. I wasn't that impressed with the overall fit, especially around the stock hinge. I would have to get some quality trigger time to really pass judgment. A unit here where I am stationed just got fielded SCARs. They have been training with them and so far it is mixed reviews, some love it and some hate it. I think it really depends on the person.

An individual on this forum told me that he personally witnessed a shipment of SCAR's come in, a couple with broken stocks. This happened in shipping.

I doubt a Glock's frame would get damaged no matter how careless you were in shipping.

I guess what I am saying is that I dont beleive the aversion is to polymer/plastics, but to the SCAR itself.

Personally, I would consider buying a SCAR if it were a sub $2000 rifle, but it isnt, so Im not.

The stock really is the weakest point in the whole design literally.

The SCAR has some funky ergo issues, but overall I think the design is solid.

The stock needs to be beefed up though. This has been a gripe since day one.
    "Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics." - Gen. Robert Barrow, USMC (1980)
    www.acrforum.com

Quote Originally Posted by crenca View Post

I have not handled a SCAR, but I have to ask those who have this:

Is your reaction any different from the first time you handled the now ubiquitous plastic pistols? Does a Glock feel any different - does it give you more confidence in the ability of the gun to function properly than the SCAR?

I suppose until I learned to trust my Glock I might have a strong negative reaction to the polymer intensive SCAR. Now that I am comfortable with the Glock I would like to think that the mere fact of polymer would not turn me off.

You guys already know this however (I would guess you already have your share of plastic pistols), so what is it about the SCAR that causes this reaction? Sincere question - no flame bait here...

I have nothing to offer to the SCAR question, but I too had the same reaction with a glock. Personally I do not care for glocks due to the poly feel of them. I KNOW they are rock solid greatly reliable guns. I've seen them dropped to the ground stomped in gravel and still function flawlessly, but I can't get over that initial reaction when I shot one 8 or 9 years ago. So to make up for that I got a Walther PPS.... poly as all get out, and I'm fine with it....

People are weird and preferences are a killer. They can't make everyone happy, I just want to see a good weapon system out of it, especially if its going to be issued out to some of our guys. I hope everything works out in that aspect.

All I know is I want an Airsoft SCAR

I am trying to get out with the unit that has them here and get some trigger time.

Aside from the direct impingment gas system of the AR platform. It is really hard to beat the AR. The platform is solid. Especially since you can get quality gas pistons systems for it. It has served our military well for nearly every conflict. Yes, it has some FTF, FTE, etc from time to time, but usually it can be attributed to something other that the rifle itself.

So how the scar is any "better" of a platform, I don't understand. You take a special forces soldier give him an M4 and put him in any given scenario. Take the same soldier and give him the SCAR and put him in the very same scenario as with the M4. The outcome will be the same.

Yes, the SCAR has some certain advantages. So does the XCR, so does the ACR. But when put on a level playing field as described above, they are ALL equal. This goes for the G36, M4, XCR, SCAR, ACR, AK, etc. In a typical engagement for a U.S. soldier, no combat rifle platform provides a real serious advantage over the M4.

Eugene Stoner can be considered a modern day John Browning. Example: Everyone thought Magpul was slick and came up with a nifty concept of a folding machine gun ( ).

To this very day our military is using Browning designs. For more than 30+ years our military, LE and civilians are using Stoner designs.

Now, granted FNH is arguably the oldest arms manufacturer in the world (since 1889). So clearly they know what they are doing. Sometimes I think they get a little big headed, but none the less, you can't stay in business that long if you do not make good products.

With all that said, the SCAR is probably a fine combat rifle. But I do not think is it all that and a bag of chips.
    "If the provisions of the Constitution be not upheld when they pinch, as well as when they comfort, they may as well be abandoned." - U.S. Supreme Court Justice George Southerland, 1934

WWW.GLOCKFAN.US - Glock Pistol Forum

WWW.ACRFORUM.COM - Remington Bushmaster ACR Rifle Forum

Quote Originally Posted by meckr View Post
    Now, granted FNH is arguably the oldest arms manufacturer in the world (since 1889).
    I would agree with just about everything but this...Beretta was founded in 1526. Other than that, all of your comments are very valid. The more I look at the DI system (and the complex piston AR systems, what was HK thinking?) the more I realize that as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors