Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights? - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights?

Re: Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rezin View Post
    What did you replace it with on your XCR?
    I am using a Olight M30 right now

It is a good light but out of your stated price range
    Speak soflty and carry a big stick...and if that dont work, start yellin and grab a shotgun!

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Quote Originally Posted by jon1371usmc View Post
    For around that price range you could always get a surefire G2 nitrolon flashlight and a 1" scope ring. Those flashlights run around to 40 dollars with a light output of about 65 lumens. If you are inside a building, that is plenty of light. We are issued the same setup for our patrol rifles, with exception of the scope ring (we use a slightly different mount that allows us to install it on the plastic M4 handguards.
    +1. The G2 is plenty bright and I have beat the hell out of mine and it lights everytime...

What is your experience with G2's runtime? It seemed a bit low compared to the other lights. If I remember correctly it was like 45-50 mins runtime.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I have a Fenix on my XCR as well. It ran about two hours on high and is now sitting on Alex's desk while I am getting my lower registered as an SBR. ;D Seems to be powerful, and well made. Paid 72.00 at the last gun show with mount and tail cap. It's all good...
    Little boys do what they want. Real men do what they're supposed to...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rezin View Post

Dakpara? Have you had the T100C2 have problems after being mounted and going to the range?
    I do not have much time with the T100C2 on an XCR, but I have fired the crap out of it on ARs. Never an issue. I have only had my XCRs for a few weeks. To clarify I have three different rifle/tac lights I use right now:

1. EagleTac P100A2 - This is my SHTF light because it uses AA batteries and does very well with them. Easy to solar recharge. I use an EOtech 512 so it uses the same batteries. I also have a number of Sunnight solar rechargable flashlights (highly recommended) I can use to recharge AA batteries if I should ever need to do that. 132 grams with two AA batteries. Body diameter is 0.8" so you have to shim it up or find a smaller diameter mount. In the range of $40. 195 lumens.

2. EagleTac T100C2 - This is my everyday light for use in the house and CQB kinds of situations. This is almost always attached to the go-to gun. 160 grams with battery. Less than $50. 220 lumens.

3. Olight M30 Triton - This is an MC-E quad-die emitter light if I need to search the woods or blind someone. Very cool interface, love the direct access to strobe. 214 grams with three CR123 batteries. 257 with two 18650 LI batts. Still very compact compared to most lights this bright (700 lm). I think the XCR is a bit front heavy, so I try to keep the forward weight down a bit when I don't need to throw light 200 meters. But I have it when I need it, and want to impress my friends and relatives. This one is about $140 though.

BTW, EagleTac came out with two new lights yesterday, the T100C2 Mark II and the T20C2. Both these are worth a look.

Yeah I ordered the T100C2 and it is on its way. I was hoping one of the stores would have the Mark II available but they did not. I did not know it just came out. Guess I ordered just a few weeks too soon. I'm sure the old model will be great still.

What do you do battery wise? It seems a lot of people say the output with the 18650 is much better than the CR123A's. Many people suggested getting rechargeable 18650's. Do you have re-chargable's ? I ordered a foreign Trustfire charger and two re-chargable 18650 Trustfire 2400ma 3.7v batteries to go with it. It's all pretty new to me, and I hope I made a good choice. I ordered them through dealextreme.com and no word yet on when they will be shipped. Hope to get them soon so I can use my flashlight when it arrives.

Maybe I will have to get some CR123A's while I wait.

The Trustfire 18650s and charger should be just fine. If you run the light much, recharging is much less expensive and more environmentally friendly in the long run. The light will run a long time on a single 18650, but I would keep a number of CR123s around too, they can be stored a long time.

The T100C2 light is fully regulated on either battery type, so the light output will be exactly the same on either if it is functioning properly. The only difference may be run time because of the capacity of the batteries. Light Reviews got 2:54 on high with a 2400 mAh 18650, and 2:26 with two 1500 mAh Cr123s. Output was exactly the same.

One thing to note if you are new to rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Do not leave them charging when you are not around, the last thing you need is an Li-ion fire (or even explosion) in your house should there be some kind of malfunction. Most people never leave the batteries in the charger when they are away.

Another tip, on a light that can take a single 18650 (like the T100C2), I would not use two RCR123/16340 rechargeable batteries (CR123 size) instead, even though it is possible to do. If one of them is significantly more charged than the other, and the one goes negative, you could basically have a small pipe bomb on your hands pretty quickly. That is one of the big advantages of using a single 18650, it only has one charge level. Also, the 18650 size is used in most Li-ion battery packs for notebook computers, so they get a lot of R&D.

Just to be clear, there is no issue using two CR123 Lithium (non-rechargable) batteries at the same time.

Enjoy, it is a great light for the $$$, and really a great light without consideration of cost.

Thanks for the info DakPara. So how do you charge these batteries without having the possibility of burning your house down? Do you time it for 8 hours or something? It seems like the Li-ion batteries don't have the best technology yet to prevent stuff like that. Is there a battery/charger that is truly protected so you would not worry about that?

Is there a store in the US that makes rechargable li-ion 18650's that are better than all the overseas stuff? Not seeing much in this area, but maybe I just don't know where to look. My T100c2 arrives today. Excited to play with it. Who knows when my batteries will arrive from DealExtreme though...

I'm actually going through a bit of a flashlight kick right now...

I (ahem) got really drunk a few weeks ago and lost the surefire e2e I'd carried for more than 3 years, so I've been spending some time on the candlepower forums seeing whats what trying to find a replacement.

I was looking at a variety of lights trying to decide what would best suit my everyday carry needs best, and I honestly hadn't considered that there were so many types of flashlights out there. All the options of course ended up making me decide I "need" more flashlights to fill different roles :P

I just ordered a fenix pd30 and a jetbeam i-pro ibs v3.0. I'll mainly carry the pd30 and got the jet to have something a touch smaller and also because I didn't have any aa battery lights. Tacweapon, I was looking hard at the olight t20 tactical, but decided to go with the pd30 as my primary because of it's smaller size. I also think I'm going to get one of the larger 2 cr123 cell flashlights like the surefire lx2/olight m20 warrior/fenix tk11 for nightstand duty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1371usmc View Post
    For around that price range you could always get a surefire G2 nitrolon flashlight and a 1" scope ring. Those flashlights run around to 40 dollars with a light output of about 65 lumens. If you are inside a building, that is plenty of light. We are issued the same setup for our patrol rifles, with exception of the scope ring (we use a slightly different mount that allows us to install it on the plastic M4 handguards.
    +1. The G2 is plenty bright and I have beat the hell out of mine and it lights everytime...
    I run a plain jane g2 led in a larue mount on my xcr for home defense use. I don't want a light brighter than that for the close spaces indoors or else I'd be blinding myself with flashback. Outdoors or doorkickin into a warehouse would be a different story.

oh, and I have a tlr-1 on my nightstand pistol. they're still the best deal in pistol lights imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors