Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights?
Like Tree1Likes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights?

Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights?

Hey guys, I am pretty cheap when it comes to certain accessories, but that does not mean I like junk quality, I just like finding those rare gems of knowledge that some people have learned over time that wont break the bank.

I've been looking into getting a decent light to mount on my XCR in case I decide to grab it when things go bump in the night. I started out by grabbing some cheap Leopold 1" scope mounts (which seem very sturdy) and now I want to find a cheap under $30 light that will be durable but also efficient. Here is what I have looked at so far.

#1 - X2000 Flood-to-Throw Zooming Glass Optics Cree P4-WC LED Flashlight (1*CR123A)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14228

I actually ordered one of these because it looked like it would fit a 1" ring and the light would be powerful for a small unit. Besides it is 13 bucks! Who can resist. It might suck though, I will let you know.

#2 - Streamlight Poly Tac™ LED

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=158

Less lumen's, 2 batteries vs the X2000's 1, about the same run time. Looked like it would fit 1" rail - not sure. Sounds durable.

#3 - Fenix flashlights?? Not sure what model would fit a 1" scope ring or if these are any good, just seen the name around.

So there you go, that is what I've looked at for a cheap tactical light set and if the #1 option works, it will of only cost $23 for the light and mount.

Does anyone have their own setup that is priced similar and works great (durable / good battery life / bright light)? I would like to hear what everyone thinks and what has worked well for them.

Thanks all!

-Red Rezin

Re: Quality/Inexpensive Tactical Lights?

This might be a little over your price range but I used to use a Fenix P3D and it was great I could use it out to 100 yards with out much problems. My only real complaint is it lack the momentary on capability. It will not fit a 1 inch ring but you can use some electrical tape around the tube and make it fit.
    Speak soflty and carry a big stick...and if that dont work, start yellin and grab a shotgun!

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

I can't help you in that price range but I can highly recommend the Streamlight TLR-1

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamli...lashlight.html

For $100 shipped it can't be beat. My wife has one on her M&P and I think it is real nice.

You have to ask yourself, how many lights are you going to buy for under $30 until you finally find one that will last and stand up to any abuse shooting might put it through?

Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aziator View Post
    I can't help you in that price range but I can highly recommend the Streamlight TLR-1

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamli...lashlight.html

For 0 shipped it can't be beat. My wife has one on her M&P and I think it is real nice.

You have to ask yourself, how many lights are you going to buy for under until you finally find one that will last and stand up to any abuse shooting might put it through?

Agreed. I have the TLR-1 on my HD SBR AR. The TLR-3 is nice as well...runs about $79 from LAPG and uses just one CR123 battery....90 lumens for 1.5 hours. Same concept as the TLR-1....but is lighter, smaller and slightly cheaper....but also weaker in the lumen dept.

Another option is the O-Lite models.....a lot of bang for the buck (I know, out of your price range at $100....but it has a super bright bulb, good run time, strobe, etc).....you still have to buy a mount though....the VTAC $20 plastic one is popular.

I really don't think you'll find a good weapon rated light for <$30. I'd guess you could go with a Malkoff Devices 230 lumen unit....but that would run upwards of $80. Just a regular Surefire 6P is around $60.

Good luck.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I would suggest you look into the EagleTac T100C2. This is the best light for the money I know about, but you would have to stretch the budget to $50.

220 Lumens for about two hours on high,
    1" body,
    Fully regulated on both 2-CR123s or 1-18650 rechargeable,
    Forward clicky tail switch (including momentary on),
    Build quality is excellent.

Just a great choice. I am a real flashaholic and have tried them all.

Just be careful, the T20C2 is coming out soon (300 lumens, but more money), you might get hooked on EagleTac.

For around that price range you could always get a surefire G2 nitrolon flashlight and a 1" scope ring. Those flashlights run around $35 to 40 dollars with a light output of about 65 lumens. If you are inside a building, that is plenty of light. We are issued the same setup for our patrol rifles, with exception of the scope ring (we use a slightly different mount that allows us to install it on the plastic M4 handguards.
    "When your life depends on it, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, but rather fall to the level of your training."

+1 vote for the Surefire G2. I have one that I mated with a MAKO flashlight mount that works great and it's lightweight and inexpensive. You can get a remote switch for it if desired but if you mount it on the left side of the wepon next to your support hand, it's not really necessary. Also, the Streamlight M3 is a great dedicated weapon light for the money. I bought one 5 years ago to use with my Glock for building searches and its held up great.
    Semper Fidelis

Why do I ask these questions?? I always end up looking at spending more and more money because everything looks so cool! Thanks guys!!

From the research I've done based on your responses, I'm leaning towards an EagleTac T100C2 or a P3D... they both are pretty impressive. The T100C2 seems to have the advantage in my mind because of battery compatability and runtime. It also fits a 1" scope ring and has momentary on. Price is good compared to others as well. I do like the P3D as well based on what I've seen, it's smaller which is probably good as a handheld, but it wont fit my scope rings.

It seems that the T100C2 has great runtime with certain 18650 rechargeable batteries (3+ hours 220 lumens, wow!)

The only question I have, is how durable is the T100C2 when mounted on an XCR during fire? That is the last piece of the puzzle, has anyone had experience firing their light system on the XCR for long durations?

Dakpara? Have you had the T100C2 have problems after being mounted and going to the range?

Thanks all for your suggestions, they are all very good light systems!

the P3D makes a great hand held light, I carry it everywhere I go now that I have replaced it on my XCR
    Speak soflty and carry a big stick...and if that dont work, start yellin and grab a shotgun!

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

What did you replace it with on your XCR?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors