Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

  1. #21
    Marksman nortac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Deep South amid the swamps
    Posts
    702

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Any reason not to use SS set screws?
    "Don't be buffaloed by experts and elites. 'Experts' possess more data
    than judgment. Elites become so inbred that they produce hemophiliacs who
    bleed to death the moment they are nicked in the real world."

    "It's not being fast, nor even accurate, that counts the most. It's being willing.
    Most men, regardless of cause or need, are not willing. They'll blink an
    eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't!"
    John Books (played by John Wayne) , The Shootist

  2. #22
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by nortac View Post
    Any reason not to use SS set screws?
    Yes. The helicoil is SS....using a SS screw is ASKING for the threads to gall. SS on SS is bad mojo. You are much better off with an alloy over SS.

    HTH,
    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  3. #23
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loonster View Post
    To get the screw out, you might need a left-handed drill. The bit itself is rather expensive (compared to normal bits). And, you could damage your rifle if you're not careful.

    Edit: Not sure if you were asking on how to get it out or not.
    No, I used to get broken screws out for a living....no biggie generally. I'll just use an easy out and if that doesn't work, I'll step drill it until I can re-tap it.....though I may have to have a new helicoil if I have to go that route (which will suck b/c I'll have to buy an install kit and they are $$$).

    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I broke off the head of my bbl bolt on the 10.5" today upon reassembly.
    Hercules, hercules... Dang Sean, showing it some love brother?

    Sounds like we need to get you some of these http://ironmind-store.com/Bag-of-Nai...ductinfo/1236/
    LOL. I didn't think so, but apparently. I think I was spurred on by Terra making a comment way back when about it being basically impossible to break one. Guess I showed her, huh? : Too bad I screwed myself in the process (pardon the pun).

    Sean


    ***EDIT*** The thread in question: https://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1358.25.html
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #25
    Super Moderator Underground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    6,143

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I broke off the head of my bbl bolt on the 10.5" today upon reassembly.
    Hercules, hercules... Dang Sean, showing it some love brother?

    Sounds like we need to get you some of these http://ironmind-store.com/Bag-of-Nai...ductinfo/1236/
    LOL. I didn't think so, but apparently. I think I was spurred on by Terra making a comment way back when about it being basically impossible to break one. Guess I showed her, huh? : Too bad I screwed myself in the process (pardon the pun).

    Sean
    Yuk, yuk.

    Other than galling on the helicoil, would a SS screw be stronger than the alloy? The idea being that the screw should break before you screw up the receiver?



    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

  7. #26
    Marksman nortac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Deep South amid the swamps
    Posts
    702

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nortac View Post
    Any reason not to use SS set screws?
    Yes. The helicoil is SS....using a SS screw is ASKING for the threads to gall. SS on SS is bad mojo. You are much better off with an alloy over SS.

    HTH,
    Sean
    When you say "alloy", you're referring to steel, are you not? In other words, like the black oxide ones from Fastenal? As for SS on SS galling, is it not dependent on using two SS components of the same alloy vs using different alloys of SS like they do in all SS semiauto pistols?
    "Don't be buffaloed by experts and elites. 'Experts' possess more data
    than judgment. Elites become so inbred that they produce hemophiliacs who
    bleed to death the moment they are nicked in the real world."

    "It's not being fast, nor even accurate, that counts the most. It's being willing.
    Most men, regardless of cause or need, are not willing. They'll blink an
    eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't!"
    John Books (played by John Wayne) , The Shootist

  8. #27
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I broke off the head of my bbl bolt on the 10.5" today upon reassembly.
    Hercules, hercules... Dang Sean, showing it some love brother?

    Sounds like we need to get you some of these http://ironmind-store.com/Bag-of-Nai...ductinfo/1236/
    LOL. I didn't think so, but apparently. I think I was spurred on by Terra making a comment way back when about it being basically impossible to break one. Guess I showed her, huh? : Too bad I screwed myself in the process (pardon the pun).

    Sean
    Yuk, yuk.

    Other than galling on the helicoil, would a SS screw be stronger than the alloy? The idea being that the screw should break before you screw up the receiver?
    The problem isn't just galling the helicoil....it's that when the threads gall, they seize, meaning you'll have to drill out the fastener. The helicoil insert and screw BOTH being SS will be more likely to screw up the receiver since you'll be more likely to have to drill it out to remove it.

    Trust me, unequivocally, a normal allen head socket screw is far better than stainless for this application.

    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  9. #28
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by nortac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nortac View Post
    Any reason not to use SS set screws?
    Yes. The helicoil is SS....using a SS screw is ASKING for the threads to gall. SS on SS is bad mojo. You are much better off with an alloy over SS.

    HTH,
    Sean
    When you say "alloy", you're referring to steel, are you not? In other words, like the black oxide ones from Fastenal? As for SS on SS galling, is it not dependent on using two SS components of the same alloy vs using different alloys of SS like they do in all SS semiauto pistols?
    Ya, when I wrote that....I knew it wasn't very precise. Honestly, I don't know what alloy (alloy is really any blend of metals) is used for a "grade 9" 160K psi allen head socket screw....but any decent hardware store (including Fastenal) will have them.

    In my experience, (again, I don't know what specific alloy was used for the SS), no, it doesn't seem to matter. SS generally lacks lubricity. If you don't add some sort of lubricant (moly lube is generally what we'd use in that instance)....you are going to have galling issues when you torque to stretch the fastener (which is how fasteners are supposed to work). However, moly lube is generally a bad idea for this type of application in that it attracts a lot of dirt which can facilitate additional thread wear if you're taking the bolt out and putting it back in a lot and I'm not sure what type of heat resistance it has especially when being subjected to heat cycling like the heating/cooling of a bbl. Not to mention it is some messy stuff and will stain clothes, hands, etc.

    HTH,
    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  10. #29
    Marksman Adam Baum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    627

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Hey, sorry to hear about your problems with your barrel bolt. I sent an e-mail to Alex about over a month ago asking him to convert my M96 to a barrel bolt system like the XCR. He hasn't responded, and I don't think he ever will, but maybe I don't want a barrel bolt so much anymore.

    On a semi-related note:
    I'm doing an AR build. My first from scratch. Do you think I should use anti-seize on the barrel nut threads?
    "Hence it comes about that all armed prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed prophets have been destroyed."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

  11. #30
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931

    Re: Word of Caution: Broke My Bbl Bolt This Evening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Baum View Post
    Hey, sorry to hear about your problems with your barrel bolt. I sent an e-mail to Alex about over a month ago asking him to convert my M96 to a barrel bolt system like the XCR. He hasn't responded, and I don't think he ever will, but maybe I don't want a barrel bolt so much anymore.

    On a semi-related note:
    I'm doing an AR build. My first from scratch. Do you think I should use anti-seize on the barrel nut threads?
    I wouldn't.....just use the armorer's wrench and you should be fine.

    I've only assemble a couple of ARs, but I've never had a bbl nut shoot loose using the stnd. wrench.

    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Caution When Considering Jack Ross Ammo
    By Sean K. in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  2. Caution Aimpoints Are Sharp
    By Diterex in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 10:52 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM
  4. I need help my XCR Broke !!
    By tacweapon in forum Problems
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
  5. Caution!
    By TerraShrewsbury in forum Trading Post
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 03:42 PM

Search tags for this page

yfs fasteners quality issues

Click on a term to search for related topics.