XCR Forum banner

Law Enforcement carbine a few questions

989 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JBiggs556 
#1 ·
I am bulilding an AR for my brother in law who is a reserve officer ( its going to be a gift so I hope hes not following the fourm). Anyway I had most of the parts needed for the build left over from other rifles/projects for the basic rifle. So far I have a rock river arms upper from a entry operator model, and a smith and wesson mp15 stripped lower. Being a mere civilian I don't really know how he will need the rifle set up as far as stocks,slings, trigger, sights, optic? I guess my biggest thing is weather to spend the money on good Iron sights, or a cheaper optic and just the magpul backup sights. Also I've always prefered the single point slings but I don't know if this is the best option for a law enforcement role. I have a rock river 2 stage trigger that was professionally polished and is about a 4lb. pull ,but I don't know if this is considered too light or dangerous for a LE gun. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

#2 ·
Pretty damned awesome of you.

I wouldn't know the answers that you seek, and I don't know if anyone else can definitively answer them either, since things vary from department to department. Some departments are quite lax about personal firearms, others are very strict.

Have you considered calling the PD and asking to speak to a Lieutenant or the armorer? You risk ruining the surprise that way, but you'd get reliable answers. Unless it's a big city cop shop, I'd bet they'd be happy to talk to you about it. Just make sure you explain your family relationship or they might be suspicious of your inquiries.

#4 ·
I think you're better-off to let him decide how to outfit the rifle as that'll likely save some real $$. If you want to provide accessories as part of the overall setup, you might consider a gift certificate so he gets just what he wants/needs for it.

#5 ·
Our agency requires the standard trigger parts and trigger pull weight. Optics can only come from a list of approved models. I would build it simple and let him add what he wants. His agency will give him the guidelines of what is and isnt approved.

#6 ·
+1 on what the others are saying. Also you may want to ask them if their dept has a deal set up with a vendor. I know SAPD has a deal with Smith and Wesson, For 750.00 you can get a basic M4 type carbine with SAPD and the SAPD shield on the magwell. It's a LTD run they're doing for LE depts.

#7 ·
Depending on how much money you have, dictates the direction you take. For the frugal (Of which I am one), I would recommend the Magpul sights and a REAL used Aimpoint M2, which can be had for $200-$300 with mount. If you have plenty of cash to burn, then get the Troy sights with an Aimpoint M4.

A single point sling is the easiest to transition between shoulders. A two point sling allows the weapon to be moved out of the way when working on something else. A Magpul MS2 sling with ASAp sling plate will allow you to do both.

#8 ·
I'm in LE, and most carbines used on the job in my experience are very basic. I would also recommend just using the basic handguards and iron sights and if he he needs, wants, or is allowed to have anything further than he can purchase the approved parts later on.

A good rifle mounted flashlight is a must, IMO but some departments also regulate those.

A lot of departments tightly regulate what their officers are allowed to use for liability reasons, and also for appearances. They don't want their patrol guys pulling out SEAL-Recon Warrior gear out of their cars cause' it can scare the public (old ladies and the like). Plus, simpler is always better when it comes to patrol gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.