Was going to go with a semi .308, but now it looks like the Ruger Gunsite is it
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was going to go with a semi .308, but now it looks like the Ruger Gunsite is it

Was going to go with a semi .308, but now it looks like the Ruger Gunsite is it

I was really set on making a full-size battle rifle my first foray into .308 land, but now it looks like the Ruger Gunsite Scout is everything I need and nothing I don't. Does anybody have one of these? A light, durable, 16" flash-suppressed, magazine fed, bolt-action rifle seems to have a lot going for it. I know magazines are ridiculously expensive, and that the laminate stock is heavier than it should be (it's still only 7 lbs) but I'm having a hard time configuring any rifle to the same thing for a similar price. I've looked at the Savage, but it falls short in magazine capacity. And choosing a light bolt-action makes for handy hunting rifle too as opposed to the FAL I was previously eye-balling. Opinions?

Re: Was going to go with a semi .308, but now it looks like the Ruger Gunsite is it

Will let you know in a couple weeks. I like the idea behind it too. Light, simple and proven Mauser action.

A RFB or M14 would be cool, but at 2x the cost. 308 ammo isn't cheap either, bolt action just make a little more sense.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Re: Was going to go with a semi .308, but now it looks like the Ruger Gunsite is it

My lgs got one in last month and I got to oogle over it for a couple days before somebody bought it. I was impressed with the fit and finish. It balances very nicely. Excellent iron sights. Without shooting it, I think Ruger has a winner. As far as mags go, what besides Ar15 mags aren't spendy? I picked up an extra factory Savage 3rd mag for my 270 last deer season and it was $49 retail. I think the little added weight on the laminate stock will be a good thing when you go to shoot it. My Steyr can be a little brutal with certain loads. I'm putting the Ruger on lay-a-way as soon as they get another in stock.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

what is this creature of which you speak? ( said in old english accent!)

He's talking about one of these: http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...le/models.html

I think it's calling to me too. Seems like the street price is $750 or so.

A buddy of mine is drooling over this one too. I actually would think about it if I had more money. If he gets it I will see what he thinks of it.
    "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death."
    - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 2

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"- George Orwell

I have absolutely no need for that whatsoever.... but I want it... lol

DSM

You could probably church up an old Enfield Ishapore jungle carbine for less.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

You could probably church up an old Enfield Ishapore jungle carbine for less.
    Yep,or find a .303 Enfield with a junk stock (cheap),replace with synthetic,cut/crown barrel to 16-18 inches,add scope and you have a short,light, handy,powerfull,carbine that holds ten rounds and has one of the slickest bolt action you'll ever use.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

It's cool, but I think I would rather have a mini 30. You lose some in the ballistics, but gain in the rate of fire.
    It's definitely sharp.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors