New owner with some questions

Thread: New owner with some questions

New owner with some questions

So I just picked up a couple ar15 type rifles, and included was an XCR. Serial number in the 38xx Never shot one, but have heard some good things about them. One question i have is, the gun seems to be missing the bolt catch button on the bottom. The bolt catch is in the gun.....it looks like a really crappy design to me. But I was wondering if there is an updated bolt catch, and if RA is the only place I could order that from. One other question is, where on the barrel is the caliber engraved...I'm 99% sure it's a 556, but want to be 110% before i through some ammo into it.

Re: New owner with some questions

Pics of said missing bolt catch?
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Pics of said missing bolt catch?
    x2 and you can order from a RA dealer. But the climate being what is is and RA being who they are you will more than likely have to wait.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Right behind the eight ball, between the rock and the hard place.

Welcome rringle. Contact forum members grampz69 and naval beaver for all your needs. Tey are stocking dealers and much faster than the factory.
    No,,he's chaos, I'm mayhem,,,we're a duo act,,

always looking for M96 stuff

Caliber will be engraved towards the front and top of the barrel. If its a standard XCR-L, its 5.56. Pics of the bolt catch and trigger guard area would be helpful in figuring out that particular issue.
    There ain't many problems a man can't fix- with $700 and a 30-06!

New owner with some questions-xcr1.jpgNew owner with some questions-xcr2.jpg
    Here are a couple pics of the missing bolt catch. What exactly is this piece called, I don't think the bolt will stay back on an empty mag without this piece. I would like to try the gun out, but would like to get this piece first.

yup, that's a missing bolt catch/release alright.... the earlier XCR's weren't locktited from the factory,so, when you get yourself one, don't forget to locktite..

You'll actually need 3 pieces. The bolt catch, the base that attaches to the bottom of it, and the screw that attaches the base to the bolt catch.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by rringle View Post
    So I just picked up a couple ar15 type rifles, and included was an XCR. Serial number in the 38xx Never shot one, but have heard some good things about them. One question i have is, the gun seems to be missing the bolt catch button on the bottom. The bolt catch is in the gun.....it looks like a really crappy design to me. But I was wondering if there is an updated bolt catch, and if RA is the only place I could order that from. One other question is, where on the barrel is the caliber engraved...I'm 99% sure it's a 556, but want to be 110% before i through some ammo into it.
    IMO, the design of the bolt catch is superior to the AR-15. Much easier to access while keeping a firing grip on the rifle. Kermit is your best bet for parts, but you should review his "current inventory" thread in the Trading Post forum -- basically, parts orders have dried up for the present because RA is trying to get whole rifles out the door. Keep an eye on the Trading Post -- just recently a forum member parted out his XCR, basically selling parts at RA's prices. He did pretty well, and a few of us picked up parts we'd been looking for.

Caliber markings are usually on top of the barrel, just behind the muzzle. However, I've seen them further back -- once, even behind the gas block. Note that sometimes folks have their barrels fluted, and this can remove the caliber marking. But given your SN, if you have a .22 bore, it's a 5.56x45. (RA recently came out with one in 5.45x39, but those are rare.)

HTH.
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Sponsors