Surplus ammo safety?

Thread: Surplus ammo safety?

Surplus ammo safety?

I've finally gotten around to sorting out a big bag of 1100 loose surplus IDF 5.56 rounds I bought about three years ago. Looks like it's all 1994/1995 manufactured. I'm noticing though that about 40% of the cartridges have some "aggressive" denting and scratching on the cases and sometimes on the bullet tip themselves. I'd love to take these to the range and plink around but I'm concerned with the safety of such ammo. Attached are the some examples of the worst denting. Any suggestions?

Surplus ammo safety?-img_4186.jpgSurplus ammo safety?-img_4175.jpgSurplus ammo safety?-img_4176.jpgSurplus ammo safety?-img_4188.jpgSurplus ammo safety?-img_4179.jpg
    For a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep

Wouldn't not being symmetrical cause feeding and seating/sealing issues in the chamber?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I haven't tried to chamber any of these yet, but I'll try next time I'm out at the range. More concerned with things going boom in an unintended way.
    For a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Short answer, I wouldn't hesitate to use that for plinking, and wouldn't even be too worried about putting those rounds in my bug out bag. Long answer I've deliberately thrown the nastiest ammo in my XCR that I could find, the ONLY requirements are that they are the right caliber and have enough powder to get the bullets out of the barrel. I've done dirty, dented, crooked, overcharged rounds and the worst I've had were a few FTF/FTEs. I've had to jam a few rounds into the chamber, they still go boom.
    My brother overcharged some to the point the primers were being thrown from the case into his upper and caused him to tear down his upper... I had no issues, free ammo . I've only done this because I very much believe in knowing the limitations on myself and my equipment, but I've been very pleased with the results. I have done a few small modifications such as the oversized gas setting, NP3, and a fine layer of cerakote in the upper. It took me a while to get my weapon polished up to where it will function like this, but I've enjoyed the process.
    Last edited by Twisted Jester; 04-29-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    It's all fun and games till you get off at Auschwitz.

Thanks for the reply Jester. Big fan of your rifle setup, looks fantastic! I'll see if I can get to the range this Sunday and follow up with any issues.

Remember that most IDF ammo is a little on the "warm" side compared to our XM193...

Sponsors