SBR Question

Thread: SBR Question

SBR Question

Hello all,

Can I simply cut the barrel of my 16" for SBR? I'm thinking 11.5" leaving about 1 and half inches in front of the gas block, hoping that's enough. Anything I need to know? It will be for a suppressor btw...

Maybe just buy Bbl and updated gas block for simplicity/function?

I think i have a type one block. The oprod looks different from whats pictured on RA, any help appreciated..SBR Question-xcr-gas.jpg

Assuming you've got the stamp.....you can chop it and it'll work fine. I've seen/ shot as short as a 10.5. A shorter dwell time would help with the gas face/ recoil. The type 1 system is pretty over gassed but will be dependent on the barrel/ammo/can combo. The type 3 helps a lot but can still be pretty gassy. Your op rod is fine for the type 3 but you will need a new gas tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Away2 View Post
    Hello all,

Can I simply cut the barrel of my 16" for SBR? I'm thinking 11.5" leaving about 1 and half inches in front of the gas block, hoping that's enough. Anything I need to know? It will be for a suppressor btw...

Maybe just buy Bbl and updated gas block for simplicity/function?

I think i have a type one block. The oprod looks different from whats pictured on RA, any help appreciated..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcr gas.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	14714
    What Nate said is correct. One of my XCR SBRs is a 10.5" with standard type 1 gas. 11.5" should be fine but you may have to open the ports in the gas dial and possibly add a brake to get it to run 100% on setting 3 with steel cased ammo.

Can design *may* make a big difference. I have a zero back pressure NG2 Defense MaxFlo can that I just got out of ATF jail. I won't be able to try it until after the 4th though....supposedly I won't have to adjust the gas since the cyclic rate with the can doesn't change with this design.

I personally like the Type 3 gas block (though the Type 1 is easier to use as a counter point for install/removal of muzzle devices) and haven't had any issues with the Type 1. The Type 3 is nicer in that there's more adjustment, less weight/bulk, can go UNDER the handguard depending on configuration and you can't launch the dial down range like you can a Type 1 if you don't get it set correctly. It's slightly harder to install though.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

This thread might be useful.......

https://www.xcrforum.com/forum/15-fi...ort-specs.html
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Placing an order on RA for misc parts. I couldn't find gas tubes listed, which tube do I need?

Thx for the info...

What are you ordering?

Im going to order all the ambi mag release parts as my gun doesn't have it, i figured Id get the two cotter style pins and the helical bbl spring as a start for spares...I did get on the "list" for the fast 2 stock! Unless you know of an available one...

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Assuming you've got the stamp.....you can chop it and it'll work fine. I've seen/ shot as short as a 10.5. A shorter dwell time would help with the gas face/ recoil. The type 1 system is pretty over gassed but will be dependent on the barrel/ammo/can combo. The type 3 helps a lot but can still be pretty gassy. Your op rod is fine for the type 3 but you will need a new gas tube.
    Your great advice prompted my question...
    Thx again...

Is there something I should get?
    Last edited by Away2; 07-01-2019 at 12:45 PM.

You can get the pins(and most of the fasteners) at a decent hardware store. Are you talking about the helicoil for the barrel spring?

Are you getting a new gas block too? The type 3 gas tube only goes with the type 3 gas block. If you're not going to swap, you don't need the tube.

Sponsors