Gen 1 XCR

Thread: Gen 1 XCR

Gen 1 XCR

Hello all. I have not been around in a long while. I dug our my XCR gen 1 the other night and was wondering if the upgrades offered at factory are worth it?

Appreciate it. Nice to be back.

I think so...but not all of them are "necessary"....like changing over to the Type 2 bolt/carrier design.

The enhanced trigger is worth it as are the newest models of BHO and ambi mag release. The ambi safety is meh....I like mine, but I mod them all by making the right side lever very thin so it doesn't get in the way of my firing hand.

I am a big fan of the Keymod uppers b/c they are so slim and lighter weight.....but the cost is very high to change that over. And competition length is my preference for 16" or longer bbls and it's even more expensive still.

I much prefer the FAST stocks to the old tube folder in terms of adjustability.

Gas systems....the Type 3 does seem to offer the most settings and is well thought out (you can't launch the dial down range).

I prefer light bbls in all the calibers.....and now most of them are actually available.

I honestly haven't noticed any need for the newest extractor spring design, or the omni deflectors....though I bought a bunch and have just failed to install them on all my XCRs.

Things are VERY slow here these days. Glad to have you back though.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Trigger and, if you're shooting suppressed, the new gas system. You'll need to have your lower modded to use the new carrier and bho. Everything else will be bolt on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Trigger and, if you're shooting suppressed, the new gas system. You'll need to have your lower modded to use the new carrier and bho. Everything else will be bolt on.
    So the largest BHO requires the Type 2 Lower and Type 2 carrier? I could have sworn one of the Type 1 lowers I have has the largest BHO.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

There's 2 types of one piece bho. Orginal one has a smaller diameter shaft. The latest, also used with the M, is a larger diameter. The bho doesn't care about the carrier but I don't think they're offering the small diameter one piece bho. Not sure when they made that change.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    There's 2 types of one piece bho. Orginal one has a smaller diameter shaft. The latest, also used with the M, is a larger diameter. The bho doesn't care about the carrier but I don't think they're offering the small diameter one piece bho. Not sure when they made that change.
    Hmmm...so the hole in the receiver is smaller for the latest BHO? I guess you could just drill it out, but then you'd lose the anodize and surface hardening it imparts on the lower.

Nice to be back.

So I should have mentioned. I had the factory cut down my original barrel to 11.5 and SBR'd it. I am still thinking of sending it back for upgrades... cheaper to just get this new upper?

I also shoot it suppressed with a Gemtech G5 on occasion.

I appreciate all the help. I very much like the rifle, always have.

Sponsors