My XCR went home and has come back

I had a bunch of work done to it:

Enhanced trigger
    type 2 bolt carrier
    new brass deflector
    ambi safety
    new mag release
    new main pin.

However, now I am thinking I would like a Keymod upper, is it just plug and play?

I really do like this rifle. Happy to have it back.

If you're willing to divulge, what'd RA charge you for that? Did you get the old parts back?

Upper should be plug and play. With that said. I've seen some old/new uppers/lowers/recoil assy that don't play nice. Don't think it's a specific design change so much as it's some tolerance stacking on those parts over the past decade.
    Nomad likes this.

I've done upper swaps on all my old "first gen" XCR-Ls and a First gen -M to KM uppers. All of those were successful.

There was only one upper that seemed to be tighter spec and I think that one ended up with Nate at one point as well (another forum member, Carpenter, also owned it IIRC at one point). That's the only one I know of with fitment issues.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

So. I did not ask for the old parts.

About 400 bucks for all of it.

I wish I had asked them to switch to the Type 3 gas block and plug (Emailed to see if I could purchase it)

Any opinions on if the new upper is better, its an additional 500 investment. I have a 12 inch barrel and would like to get the BO barrel in 10.3

That's not too bad for all that but they didn't cut much of a deal. You could have made a good portion of that back if they'd returned the original carrier and bolt. Might be worth an email to see if you could get them.The keymod is way more svelte then the quad but it's a steep upgrade price.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling99 View Post
    So. I did not ask for the old parts.

About 400 bucks for all of it.

I wish I had asked them to switch to the Type 3 gas block and plug (Emailed to see if I could purchase it)

Any opinions on if the new upper is better, its an additional 500 investment. I have a 12 inch barrel and would like to get the BO barrel in 10.3
    You'll also need a new Type 3 gas tube to go with the Type 3 block....IIRC. Nate can confirm.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    You'll also need a new Type 3 gas tube to go with the Type 3 block....IIRC. Nate can confirm.
    I inquired about that after the rifle was home. They said I could upgrade to the type 3 for $150, is it hard to upgrade it?

IIRC, receiver needs to be modified to accept type 3. Refer to RA's online parts guide and see if they've done that for you already. If they have, it should be a DIY affair to switch to Type 3 gas system.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    IIRC, receiver needs to be modified to accept type 3. Refer to RA's online parts guide and see if they've done that for you already. If they have, it should be a DIY affair to switch to Type 3 gas system.
    No; it doesn't...jfyi. It's plug and play...but you need a new Type 3 gas tube, plus the Type 3 block/dial.
    fmunk likes this.

What Sean said.

ETA. On a long barrel, unsuppressed, I don't think the $150 is worth any perceived performance increase to go to a type 3. It's a better system but I don't think you're going to realize it until you start suppressing and/ or going with the gas block inside the upper.
    Last edited by navalbeaver; 07-22-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    Sean K. likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors