compensator or brake on 11.5" pistol?
Like Tree3Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compensator or brake on 11.5" pistol?

compensator or brake on 11.5" pistol?

loving my xcr-l so far.
    curious if anybody here has a similar build to mine and mitigates its kick with a brake or comp.
    currently I have a basic a2 flash hider on it and pistol brace. Id get a suppressor if I could, but I cannot.

There's really not much kick in 5.56.

What caliber are you talking about?

I'm fond of the VG2 Gammas for the cost. They have a side blast cover you can also buy if side concussion is a concern....however, that bumps the price into Battle Comp territory and at that point, if side blast is your concern, you probably should just go that route....assuming you want a short, A2ish size comp and only need a 1/2-28 thread pitch.

That's the nice thing about the VG2 for .300 blk...it's 5/8-24 and the same size as an A2....so you're adding minimal length but still getting good brake/comp performance.

You're asking "compensator or brake".....most do both. Brakes are the baffles, comps are the top ports. Most designs have both.

What are you looking to spend too? The 2 port brake from Armalite are only like $30 and work very well....though I did drill two ports in the top to get some compensation. Battle Comps are easily $125+. VG6s can go for $40 on sale for the 5.56 to $65ish for the .300 blk. The BCM brake also works pretty well and has less side blast than traditional brakes....about $80; same with Griffin Armament's Hammer Comps.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

sorry its 556. My friends ruger556 noticeably recoils less since its more inline and I'm assuming the piston weight traveling back adds to more felt recoil as well, my gas setting is at 2.

in terms of cost i don't really care so long as its not like $500. Also i can't remember what my thread pitch is, any way of finding that out?
    I'm assuming i want more comp than brake since it's less recoil and more muzzle rise.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

According to Robinson's website, "For 5.56(.223), we use a 1/2×28 thread. For all other calibers we use a 5/8×24 thread."

thinking of getting the surefire warcomp flashhider or Fortis control shield. Those appear to be pretty good for muzzle rise.

Quote Originally Posted by GlowingGoy View Post
    thinking of getting the surefire warcomp flashhider or Fortis control shield. Those appear to be pretty good for muzzle rise.
    Fortis is good....if you want the control shield, it's a good option.

Yes, your bbl should be 1/2-28
    fmunk likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I like the VG6 gamma, never tried the other.
    In terms of performance I know of nothing that beats the JP Recoil eliminate for any caliber, the rifle barely flinches when you pull the trigger. In their video a one hand full auto mag dump with a M16 is pretty cool but one guy puts an egg between the stock and his shoulder on his 300 mag and gun barely moves.
    If you shoot at a range either will offend your neighbors but I shoot on private property so no concerns

Another option, if you're looking at things as long as JP's is the MZLMAX from the now defunct NG2 Nexgen Defense. ***EDIT*** Apparently, there's a name change and a new company to X2 Dev Group: http://www.ng2defense.com/

It works incredibly well and directs the blast forward. My complaint is they are heavy and big for a muzzle device.

Not inexpensive either...but probably the most effective brake/comp that still is acceptable to those shooting to your sides.

**EDIT*** This one is more reasonably priced...assuming they have it in stock:

https://xproducts.com/product/all-in...wraith-mzlmax/

Apparently the original MZLMAX has been redesignated (and slightly redesigned) to be the VF18X...seen at the ng2defense link above.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 07-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.

thanks for all the info, I I'm gonna go with the fortis control shield, I'll let you know how it performs.
    TexasChris likes this.

nevermind, it looks like the fortis shield is an addon to their brake, so its a two piece brake/blast forwarder, really annoying how the name sometimes doesn't reflect the use.

still looking for a comp. funny how when you look up "308 comp" or "glock comp" you get real compensator results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors