conversion kit with new upper?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver

Thread: conversion kit with new upper?

Newbie Reject DI embrace Piston's Avatar

conversion kit with new upper?

Hey so I've got a question about buying a conversion kit.

Currently I've got a XCR-L in 556
    11" barrel, exposed gas block option, std upper length

After shooting my friends 7.5" ar15, I realize now after using it I want to go much smaller and make a very compact PDW build (wish I bought this setup from the start but I was too scared of 556 out of short barrels)

7.5" barrel, hidden gas block, mini upper length
    (similar to the rodger berrera build on youtube)

So I would assume I need to do 2 things
    buy the mini upper ($500 oof)
    and buy the barrel conversion kit ($~450 oof)

HOWEVER
    I see that the conversion kit doesn't include upper option and includes things I don't need yet I CAN'T buy a barrel by itself unless its in a conversion kit.
    Is there any way to buy everything individually?
    -mini upper
    -7.5" barrel drilled for gb3 micro gas block
    -gb3 micro gas block
    -micro piston

(also the RA conversion webpage appears to be broken because when you click on the XCR-L mini with the buried gas block it takes you to the 308 M instead)

edit* basically go from image 1 to image 2

conversion kit with new upper?-current.png
    conversion kit with new upper?-mini.png
    Last edited by Reject DI embrace Piston; 09-29-2020 at 06:39 PM.

You're a bolt and carrier away from just getting a complete upper. Unfortunately, the used market in XCRs isn't great so you probably can't completely fund a new upper with your used one but I'd think there'd be some interest in an 11" 556 upper. Email sales(Holly) and tell her what you want. They should be able to get you what you need. The website isn't great at providing exactly what you need for every situation. Don't forget the mico gas tube.

i emailed RA but they kept saying I needed a new micro operating-rod (which im 99% sure I dont since they dont sell that they only sell 1 op-rod) so I wanted to talk to the forums to make sure. And yeah I remembered the micro gas tube, its called micro piston on this page https://robinsonarmament.com/xcr-l-o...-spring-parts/
    Last edited by Reject DI embrace Piston; 09-29-2020 at 09:02 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

You're correct. Bare minimum, you could just swap piston heads instead of getting a whole new Micro oprod assembly.

Fwiw, generally on the forum and my dealings with RA, when someone says "oprod" it's inclusive of the rod(one length in the current offering) AND piston(different lengths for different gas systems). I have some pistons just because, but besides those and dealing with the type 0, it's always been with complete rod and piston assembly. It may just be a misunderstanding from RA on what exactly it is you want.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    You're correct. Bare minimum, you could just swap piston heads instead of getting a whole new Micro oprod assembly.

Fwiw, generally on the forum and my dealings with RA, when someone says "oprod" it's inclusive of the rod(one length in the current offering) AND piston(different lengths for different gas systems). I have some pistons just because, but besides those and dealing with the type 0, it's always been with complete rod and piston assembly. It may just be a misunderstanding from RA on what exactly it is you want.
    thank you for the info

there currently appears to be an issue with the conversion kit webpage
    https://robinsonarmament.com/barrel-...ersion-kits-3/

when I select the XCR-L mini with micro gas system, It brings me to an XCR-M page with 308

does this happen with anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Reject DI embrace Piston View Post
    there currently appears to be an issue with the conversion kit webpage
    https://robinsonarmament.com/barrel-...ersion-kits-3/

when I select the XCR-L mini with micro gas system, It brings me to an XCR-M page with 308

does this happen with anyone else?
    Yep, happens to me too, so that link is wrong. Note: However, you are clicking on a From configuration you don't have since you stated you have a std upper length not a mini upper.
    Last edited by Whole Bunches; 09-30-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsors