Question about barrel and gas block.
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Question about barrel and gas block.

  1. #1
    Newbie Hopelessly-Paranoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18

    Question about barrel and gas block.

    I think I have narrowed down the XCR I am going to get. It will be a used one with all of the old parts. Anyway, I intend to upgrade a few of the parts to start out with, and I also want to get a new barrel (Heavy barrel since this one has the pencil barrel)

    I think I already know the answer to my question, but to be sure I wanna ask since I am not super familure with this platform yet...

    Well, my question is this: Since the gun has the old gas system (old gas block etc) will the old gas block work on the new heavy barrel I would order or will I need to upgrade the gas system or get a different gas block? Also, does the barrel assembly you order from Robarm have a gas block with it, or is it just the barrel?

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    DSM
    DSM is offline
    XCR Guru DSM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,071

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    I believe when Terra found me an old 1/8 barrel she said they had to do something to the new gas block to make it work, or maybe it was to the barrel itself, either way a new gas block on an older barrel is a no-go. I would assume vice-versa would be the same.

    You can order the barrel stripped. But, I've got an extra piston head sitting on my bench doing nothing if you want to pay for shipping, it's all yours. PM me.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

  3. #3
    Newbie Hopelessly-Paranoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    Quote Originally Posted by m118sb View Post
    I believe when Terra found me an old 1/8 barrel she said they had to do something to the new gas block to make it work, or maybe it was to the barrel itself, either way a new gas block on an older barrel is a no-go. I would assume vice-versa would be the same.

    You can order the barrel stripped. But, I've got an extra piston head sitting on my bench doing nothing if you want to pay for shipping, it's all yours. PM me.
    I know this barrel is a 1 in 9", but I am not sure how much it differs from the 1 in 8" overall other than the twist.

    Thanks for the offer on the piston head; I may take you up on it. I do want to dig up some extra information before I decide though.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Marksman bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    532

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    If your barrel originally had the old gas system, then the new gasblock needs a restrictor installed. If you buy a new barrel, it will come with the new gasblock, and a new piston head.

  6. #5
    Newbie Hopelessly-Paranoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    Quote Originally Posted by bolster View Post
    If your barrel originally had the old gas system, then the new gasblock needs a restrictor installed. If you buy a new barrel, it will come with the new gasblock, and a new piston head.
    Ok,

    I guess my new question is; if I buy the barrel assembly (barrel+new gasblock+new piston head) what else would I need to order to install it on the rifle (all the parts are older and un-upgraded) to make it fully functional.

    You mentioned a restrictor; I am assuming the restrictor needs to be installed on the new gas block only if it's going back on the old barrel? (that originally had the old gas system.)


    Sorry for my 'newbie' questions, but I want to make sure I have everything I need when I place the order.

  7. #6
    Marksman bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    532

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopelessly-Paranoid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bolster View Post
    If your barrel originally had the old gas system, then the new gasblock needs a restrictor installed. If you buy a new barrel, it will come with the new gasblock, and a new piston head.
    Ok,

    I guess my new question is; if I buy the barrel assembly (barrel+new gasblock+new piston head) what else would I need to order to install it on the rifle (all the parts are older and un-upgraded) to make it fully functional.

    You mentioned a restrictor; I am assuming the restrictor needs to be installed on the new gas block only if it's going back on the old barrel? (that originally had the old gas system.)


    Sorry for my 'newbie' questions, but I want to make sure I have everything I need when I place the order.
    No need to apologize, these are good questions.

    If you order a new barrel, make sure you tell them it's going on a rifle that has the old gas system. They will send you the barrel with a new gasblock, and a piston head (all you'll need to make it work). You'll remove your current barrel, and need to pull out the bolt/carrier/op-rod/piston assembly. Using a vice to secure the op-rod, you'll unscrew the old piston head, and install the new one. At this point, you can re-assemble your XCR with the new barrel and it will be fully functional.


    As for as the part in red goes, they don't make the restrictor available to the end user (as far as I know), which basically means you need to buy a new gasblock specifically for your old barrel. It won't work to swap the gasblock between barrels.

  8. #7
    DSM
    DSM is offline
    XCR Guru DSM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,071

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    Ah, restrictor, that's what that part was! I need to pay better attention sometimes. :
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

  9. #8
    Newbie Hopelessly-Paranoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18

    Re: Question about barrel and gas block.

    Quote Originally Posted by bolster View Post

    No need to apologize, these are good questions.

    If you order a new barrel, make sure you tell them it's going on a rifle that has the old gas system. They will send you the barrel with a new gasblock, and a piston head (all you'll need to make it work). You'll remove your current barrel, and need to pull out the bolt/carrier/op-rod/piston assembly. Using a vice to secure the op-rod, you'll unscrew the old piston head, and install the new one. At this point, you can re-assemble your XCR with the new barrel and it will be fully functional.


    As for as the part in red goes, they don't make the restrictor available to the end user (as far as I know), which basically means you need to buy a new gasblock specifically for your old barrel. It won't work to swap the gasblock between barrels.
    Thanks a bunch for the information!

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Gas Block Question
    By cjt50 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 03:05 PM
  2. M96 gas block question
    By rpdalton in forum Early Robinson Products
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
  3. Gas block question
    By attila in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
  4. New Gas Block Question
    By LoadedDrum in forum Robinson Armament
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
  5. Gas Block Question
    By crashy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM