18.6" heavy vx 16" light barrel advice needed

Thread: 18.6" heavy vx 16" light barrel advice needed

18.6" heavy vx 16" light barrel advice needed

I'm looking at buying a XCR to use primarily in 7.62x39. The pricing seems to make it attractive to buy a 5.56 XCR rifle and then 7.62x39 conversion. I will probably use the 5.56 only for target shooting (200-600 yrds) or shooting varmints. Given this use, which would you recommend - 18.6 or 16 inch barrel? Since RA only offers 1/9 twist, will the 18.6" barrel stabilize 75-77gr bullets better than the 16" barrel? I guess bottom line what I'm asking is will the 18.6" barrel provide meaningful improvements in velocity and accuracy over the 16"?

Re: 18.6" heavy vx 16" light barrel advice needed

For shooting in the 200 and longer range the 18.5 barrel will help with higher velocity especially if you are going to do any type of varmint hunting.
    The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly fucking stupid.

You'll have to excuse me if I disagree.

A Hornady TAP round from a 16" barrel is good (as in it keeps it's somewhat explosive properties) to 300+ yards.

Everyone has personal preferences, but a shooter won't typically be able to differentiate between the barrels. A benchrester will, but a guy with his belly in the grass won't.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

My point being that if all thing being equal higher velocity is usually better when shooting at the longer ranges, while some specialty ammo is designed for explosive terminal performance most varmint ammo is not that good without the necessary velocity.
    The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly fucking stupid.

Sigh... If only I could afford to shoot TAP ammo! The real reason for the 5.56 was as a lower cost solution to shooting targets with my 30-06. The 7.62x39 conversion will be my carbine weapon for 0-200 yrds. I've had my 30-06 bolt action for over 30 yrs and is by far my favorite, but I'm beginning to shoot it less and less because of ammo prices, wear and tear on the rifle, and (sad to say) recoil is getting more bothersome as I get older.

What you say is true, but it's not something normally not 'visible' to the rifleman.

If you're shooting off sandbags or some-such, the extra 150-200 fps will be visible as another 1/2 MOA out there. As far as windage, it's not a consideration.

I'm talking about rounds from a guy on his belly, using a slung carbine.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Sponsors