5.56 Home Defense Ammo
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Home Defense Ammo

5.56 Home Defense Ammo

Ok so I have 2 firearms I'll consider using for home defense. I have an XD45 and the XCR of course. My general consensus from the forum is that the 5.56 round is reliable to 'tumble' or fragment apart provided the proper velocity; one way to eliminate that problem all together is using hollow points. Now for my question. What 5.56 round is good for home defense? Quite often I hear people talking about using a pistol or shotgun for defense but the wife isn't all that comfortable with the pistol and for personal reasons doesn't want me to have a shotgun. She however loves the XCR almost as much as I do so I want her to be comfortable and safe with it. If I can get some feedback with ammunition to use it would be much appreciated.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen

Re: 5.56 Home Defense Ammo

My "inside the house" choice is my Krebs 7x65x39. Short, good short range round, and dependable. My first magazine has a "mix" of specialized ammo to light up the night. Next mag, if needed, is loaded with standard ball with two rounds tracer. Oh yeah, hint, load the first two or three rounds as tracer. When you see a tracer do your mag change.
    Fio para bellator - be the Prepared Warrior

Hornady TAP, Corbon DPX
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Hornady TAP, Corbon DPX
    What he said.Don't think you need a hollowpoint.There are many excellent choices,and one of the biggest misconceptions about 5.56 ammo.It's actually a pretty good fight stopper with expanding ammo.anything with a ballistic tip or a soft pint will be better than standard ball ammo.That solid Copper DPX bullet is a hammer on deer,and will have better penetration than a hollowpoint.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Aren't you guys worried about over penetration? I think a shotgun would be the way to go in a suburban home defense scenario. I have a nice 20 ga. 870 with various loads for that purpose. Why 20 ga.? Easy to handle and it is not too much gun for my wife or daughter to use. Just my :2cents:
    "Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by MrChem View Post
    Aren't you guys worried about over penetration? I think a shotgun would be the way to go in a suburban home defense scenario. I have a nice 20 ga. 870 with various loads for that purpose. Why 20 ga.? Easy to handle and it is not too much gun for my wife or daughter to use. Just my :2cents:
    Supposedly 5.56 doesn't penetrate common household building materials as much as you think. Less than a shotgun in many cases according to some study I read a while back that I believe was conducted by the FBI.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChem View Post
    A few tests have shown most 5.56 variants to be less dangerous after penetrating a wall than a 9mm or other pistol round would be (don't have a chance to find a reference to post right now).

And it might be enlightening to take a shot at a couple of panels of drywall with that 20 gauge and see what happens.
    The above text may or may not represent the views of the XCR Forum, LurpyGeek, or various personalities contained therein. May not be reproduced without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before reading. May cause drowsiness, itching, apathy and vomiting. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery. Thank you and good day.

I use a magazine loaded with Barnes 50gr Varmint grenades . i.e. powdered zinc cores, low penetration
    A M16 is a fancy city girl, sexy as hell, but a bit moody. It's all good as long as you take her to the clubs and get what she asks. If you cross the? line, its over.

An AK is a naughty girl, all in latex and with a whip begging you to be naughty. The nastier you are the happier she is. Its clear that she wont dump you, you'll have to do that on your own.
    The XCR is the perfect blend of both. Sexy as hell but willing to let you beat her and filthy her up and then beg for more.

I blow things up for a living.

Jack A Sol

you might actually want to stick with a fragmenting bullet like the TAP. less penetration in walls than dpx or sp's

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors